70620 - Ninjago City

Migration

4 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

It is not your classic Ninjago set and I still think ToA is my favorite in the theme. It is also not a classic Modular where you build one floor at a time, rather you build separate modules that attach to make up the floors. I think they did a great job of recreating the city from the movie using new elements, elements in new colors and existing elements in new ways, but will have to wait to see it.

Is it just the final product or another reason you prefer ToA?  You don't happen to have ToA around for a side by side do you?

3 hours ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

Is it just the final product or another reason you prefer ToA?  You don't happen to have ToA around for a side by side do you?

I have my ToA mod also known as ToDust it is too big to move with out risk of breaking i can try and move the city by it but it wont be able to get close to the actual tower. I just like the old world look of ToA. The city is more Art Deco needs some neon lights. 

• Like 1

I have my ToA mod also known as ToDust it is too big to move with out risk of breaking i can try and move the city by it but it wont be able to get close to the actual tower. I just like the old world look of ToA. The city is more Art Deco needs some neon lights. 

Now I'm intrigued. I want to see this ToA mod.
  • Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

I've seen one built and it does look superb, but I think the price is way too high at £260 for an unlicenced set considering that the 10224 Town Hall was "only" £150. Remember that this set is unlikely to be rare and sought after. As much as I like the set, I'll be passing on this one..... unless it's ever at 50% off - LOL.

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

I've seen one built and it does look superb, but I think the price is way too high at £260 for an unlicenced set considering that the 10224 Town Hall was "only" £150. Remember that this set is unlikely to be rare and sought after. As much as I like the set, I'll be passing on this one..... unless it's ever at 50% off - LOL.

Technically it is licensed from the movie producers and future value may well depend on shelf life. Ninjago Movie stuff with a 12 month or less life could do well and this set will be rare than the Bounty.

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

dude did you forget that you voted for brexit? now you are collecting the fruits of that decision. Britain is getting the most expensive market in Europe in terms of toys etc, and prepare your soft arse for the worst.
inflation is skyrocketing in UK and you are whining about high price point for this set.

I've already got one myself, just came back home and I'm pretty impressed with the build complexity and amount of details but extremely disappointed with the quality of the box.
box layers are extremely soft, box isn't glazed like the Batman boxes or Disney castle or GB HQ. feels cheap and bends under finger pressure like crazy.

Feels like environment friendly packaging which would disappear with small dose of water and air.

however it's absolutely gorgeous in real life!

That was Jamie's Idea to put the bottom pins to the construction because he wanted to see eventual success or failure of this set future wise.
So seeing OOS now gives us little of the feedback about potential successor.

Edited by Shewie

27 minutes ago, Shewie said:

I've already got one myself, just came back home and I'm pretty impressed with the build complexity and amount of details but extremely disappointed with the quality of the box.
box layers are extremely soft, box isn't glazed like the Batman boxes or Disney castle or GB HQ. feels cheap and bends under finger pressure like crazy.

while I agree the box is not glossy I felt the total opposite and the box quality was a lot sturdier.  Castle is one of the weakest boxes and this by far was stronger.  Not to mention the single quantity case packs seemed to help over the 2 pack Disney.

The glossy boxes have always seemed easier to damage to me.

I know they do have different box facilities as well and wondering if EU is getting a different box production from US to say that.  

Even the new SW sets are the dull finish but feel sturdy compared to TLBM.   Speaking of box quality the 3 Advents are pretty funny.  They do go from higher end glossy SW to mid grade dull City to bottom of the barrel Friends which is dull and flimsier than the other 2.

2 hours ago, ravenb99 said:

while I agree the box is not glossy I felt the total opposite and the box quality was a lot sturdier.  Castle is one of the weakest boxes and this by far was stronger.  Not to mention the single quantity case packs seemed to help over the 2 pack Disney.

The glossy boxes have always seemed easier to damage to me.

I know they do have different box facilities as well and wondering if EU is getting a different box production from US to say that.  

Even the new SW sets are the dull finish but feel sturdy compared to TLBM.   Speaking of box quality the 3 Advents are pretty funny.  They do go from higher end glossy SW to mid grade dull City to bottom of the barrel Friends which is dull and flimsier than the other 2.

My feeling are completely opposite, I have both boxes on front of me and I can literally feel the difference between those two, favouring Disney Castle.
Ninjago City feels dry under the finger because there are two boxes inside rather than plastic bags numbered you can feel the hollow space on the top of the box. People were damaging one box after another just by lifting then because there is no support and box gets dents immediately.

I like glazed surface of the Batman and Disney castle  boxes my new fav one is Lego Boos which is using mix of glazed and sand-paper surface on the box.

But Ninjago box is a big let down. Maybe we have different boxes from completely different production lines. Who knows. There was a few examples in history where we could find easily the differences between EU and US/NA boxes and packaging overall.

Anyway Seal codes for initial Launch in EU 23S7 and 25S7 I have two boxes with different codes.

After watching the video posted above, it is definitely an awesome display set with many cool play features.  However, I struggle to get past the price point for the theme.  When compared to other themes, Ninjago doesn't seem to pull as many AFOL.  Would this be a set to add to a personal collection if you have no other large Lego sets to spend the money on or are a AFOL Ninjago fan?  Absolutely!  However, will you find buyers after retirement willing to pay a premium?  Probably not until today's 8 - 12 year olds are 30 - 50.  All in all incredible design and likely interesting build.

1 hour ago, BRIX23 said:

After watching the video posted above, it is definitely an awesome display set with many cool play features.  However, I struggle to get past the price point for the theme.  When compared to other themes, Ninjago doesn't seem to pull as many AFOL.  Would this be a set to add to a personal collection if you have no other large Lego sets to spend the money on or are a AFOL Ninjago fan?  Absolutely!  However, will you find buyers after retirement willing to pay a premium?  Probably not until today's 8 - 12 year olds are 30 - 50.  All in all incredible design and likely interesting build.

I do not understand why does the theme need to define the quality of the set. The price point is very good as the set is large. Who cares what is written on the box, LEGO is about the build. Speaking about AFOLs, 'adult' means that they are supposed to have the brain capacity not to be influenced by the branding in choosing which set to build. You say yourself that it is an 'incredible design and likely interesting build'. If you think so, then listen to yourself, buy it and enjoy it. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, inversion said:

I do not understand why does the theme need to define the quality of the set. The price point is very good as the set is large. Who cares what is written on the box, LEGO is about the build. Speaking about AFOLs, 'adult' means that they are supposed to have the brain capacity not to be influenced by the branding in choosing which set to build. You say yourself that it is an 'incredible design and likely interesting build'. If you think so, then listen to yourself, buy it and enjoy it. 

I'm not questioning the quality as it's great quality.  I'm debating the long-term investment potential which I just don't see at this time.

Just now, BRIX23 said:

I'm not questioning the quality as it's great quality.  I'm debating the long-term investment potential which I just don't see at this time.

Compare it to Sea Cow, very similar in terms of positioning. This is larger and more detailed, thus maybe a bit better potential, but still should be close to it.

In any case, no D2C has set a large long term potential now, market got saturated and too competitive.  People here have to keep in mind that the golden age was good not just because of the low number of investors. The low number of D2C sets released so far at those times meant a much smaller universe of collectable sets and variety. Also, LEGO kept a lower amount of sets in production, so people ran out faster from in-production sets and needed to resort to shop the retired market sooner.

Now anybody coming out of the dark ages (i.e. the market for retired sets) faces a plethora of choices. LEGO has an obscene amount of sets in production with discounts coming back. The retired market has such a selection that you do not even know what to get. Long term investments for D2C sets in my opinion is pretty much over for this reason. Better gains can be made on smaller and short production sets. People are less reluctant to pay triple on a $20 set than a $200 one.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, inversion said:

Compare it to Sea Cow, very similar in terms of positioning. This is larger and more detailed, thus maybe a bit better potential, but still should be close to it.

In any case, no D2C has set a large long term potential now, market got saturated and too competitive.  People here have to keep in mind that the golden age was good not just because of the low number of investors. The low number of D2C sets released so far at those times meant a much smaller universe of collectable sets and variety. Also, LEGO kept a lower amount of sets in production, so people ran out faster from in-production sets and needed to resort to shop the retired market sooner.

Now anybody coming out of the dark ages (i.e. the market for retired sets) faces a plethora of choices. LEGO has an obscene amount of sets in production with discounts coming back. The retired market has such a selection that you do not even know what to get. Long term investments for D2C sets in my opinion is pretty much over for this reason. Better gains can be made on smaller and short production sets. People are less reluctant to pay triple on a $20 set than a $200 one.

I´d rather compare it to Haunted House than that monstrosity. Fully agree with your point about saturation.