10257 - Carousel

siddji

14 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

It won't have any influence on the GC  - 1000 pieces less, no soundbrick, no power functions included...

Any time you give a consumer a cheaper option there is an influence . While the degree of impact will vary depending on the quality and price of the new product the original will suffer to some degree. 

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy
4 hours ago, LahH001 said:

Before val-e and tabbyboy give their views, it's refreshing that there is a trhead where there is some optimism as opposed to the usual doom and gloom.   :-)

LOL - I actually quite like it and I'm happy that those who wish to resell the Grand Carousel needn't worry as first thought - postive news all round!

Since you're a customer of mine, I suppose I'd better be nice ;-)

Seriously, I think it's a really cool set and I will be the proud owner of one.

I used to have the Grand Carousel and while it was aesthetically pleasing, that sound brick annoyed the hell out of me! 

Like others have said, I think this will most likely not have a soundbrick and power functions just like the Ferris Wheel and Mixer. That should keep the price below $200. A couple of people mentioned $100-$120 but I'm thinking it'll be $150 easy. Great design and it's not small.

The only thing I'm curious about is how it'll spin. Unlike GC where there's a tire that drives the carousel from the side, this won't have the same design since there are 1x1 circle pieces on the side that'll get in the way. I'm guessing gears underneath the carousel that will be driven by a hand crank like the Ferris Wheel.

I sold my GC a while ago and will definitely be picking this one up to go along with FW and FM. Hoping for a big roller coaster in a year or two!

• Like 2

Even new carousel is smaller and different than grand carousel, it will have a strong effect to GC price. Collectors will choose between bigger GC for EUR 2000 and smaller, but still enough big and nice, fairground carousel for EUR 100-120. Many will be satisfied with the new, cheaper, one, since the price difference is big. For example, I bought new GC for EUR 800 few years after EOL - if I knew that new one carousel is coming, even smaller, I would not spent so much many for the bigger one.

On the other hand, there is just limited offer of GC sets in secondary market, since it is a set from old times and is not hoarded, so the offer can cover the demand from hard-core collectors, who want to have the biggest carousel, so the fall of the prices might not be substantial.

i'm glad TLG didn't dial in another replica remake.  

those who think this will negatively impact 10196's value , build one and see if you change your mind and/or please kindly remove the glue from your nose.  time will of course tell.  GC is huge iconic set in rarified territory .

10196 has more pieces than an SSD,  multiple horses that move up and down as the carriage rotates.  10196 is the largest non-technic set in TLG history with moving parts and a motor.  this new carousel has a flamingo.  the flamingo from what i can see doesn't even fly.

not sure why they have that big tan edge around the new carousel which is why the stud count is so big but the set looks so small.

guessing a price point of $99 based on what we see here.  won't buy to build but for investing seems like a sure winner.IMG_0198.thumb.JPG.91bc00c55a26a0f35bd47757487fefa0.JPG

• Like 4

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:12 AM, cladner said:

i'm glad TLG didn't dial in another replica remake.  

those who think this will negatively impact 10196's value , build one and see if you change your mind and/or please kindly remove the glue from your nose.  time will of course tell.  GC is huge iconic set in rarified territory .

10196 has more pieces than an SSD,  multiple horses that move up and down as the carriage rotates.  10196 is the largest non-technic set in TLG history with moving parts and a motor.  this new carousel has a flamingo.  the flamingo from what i can see doesn't even fly.

not sure why they have that big tan edge around the new carousel which is why the stud count is so big but the set looks so small.

guessing a price point of $99 based on what we see here.  won't buy to build but for investing seems like a sure winner.

Fair enough ... send me yours so that I can make a more educated post ;) 

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, cladner said:

If you're talking about the tan "base" that is larger than the carousel, it's likely to give them the required room to put in the technic gears to turn it. You need only a regular brick height to push through an axle and the smallest gears with the beveled sides to get it spinning, then a plate with the holes to keep the vertical axle centered. Since the original GC was turned by an external wheel, it didn't need that height.

Guest TabbyBoy

£149.99 as I think anything higher could put off little Timmy and Jenny's mummy. BTW... a larger Technic version would be cool.

6 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

See people...LEGO doesn't hate us after all.  Nice set and compliment  to the Mixer and Ferris Wheel.  The Grand Carousel is safe for another decade.  

Nah, they never really hated us. We are just $$ in their eyes.

This set looks great. Finally we have some hope that Lego will actually exercise a little creativity with a "remake". This carousel does not look much like the previous set and I doubt it will hurt the value much. Mixer may be a great performer if this theme continues strong.