Fake, Counterfeit, Knockoff, Illegal, Garbage, Crap Set & Minifigure Thread: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

12 hours ago, tjj1984 said:

How far back do the price guides go? Did you archive every month since the site has been active? 

What trend?

Of course we archive information.  Trend?  Sites like the Washington Post and NY Times (to name a few) charge for their online site after a few free articles.  Granted, we are not the Washington Post or NY Times, but the extra information and data could be valuable to some.  Point is, this price data costs money to acquire.  It is tens of thousands of dollars annually.  If the affiliate money can't support the costs, something will have to change...either less price information or a small fee for unlimited access.

I really don't want people to get worked up about this.  Nothing has been seriously set in stone.  The site update still has to be launched and there is a ways to go before anything changes to a premium package option.  This is just a discussion of what could happen and what is happening with our costs.  

• Like 3

I know you might be reticent to share incomplete information, especially based on people's responses to the possibility, but what is the ballpark figure?  I'm sure a lot of people here are worried, but are we talking in the $5-10 per month range, or substantially higher.  Honestly I feel most people who are stressed might back off their worries if they realize the fees are small, especially in relation to the money spent on deals found through the site.  I'm personally guessing the $5-10 range (or a slightly discounted annual pass to save money on transaction fees for you/lock up money up front) is probably all you're talking about, which should be worth it to anyone who uses the site enough to need the "extras" that won't be on the free site.  Either way, I'm very thankful for the service that has been provided for free up to this point and expect to be a paid subscriber when that option is available.  Remember, it is always the vocal minority with the problems...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, xeeeej said:

In my opinion, it's about 18 months too late to start charging for premium content here.  Investing in Lego has peaked, and I think you waited too long to cash in on the frenzy.  I know that was (supposedly) never your goal, but trying to cash in now will probably just drive people away at a higher velocity.

If you can find someone to buy the site from you while traffic is still decent, that is probably the better play.  

Best of luck.

LOL...I think what you fail to realize is that it was never about "cashing in."  The site makes enough money to support itself, but it doesn't support Jeff and I in any way, shape or form...which is sad due to the effort put into it.  It's about a LEGO passion that I have and a passion for programming that Jeff has.  The one thing that I will be eternally grateful for is that this site and LEGO raffle enabled us to raise $62,000.00+ for my son's school last year and that alone makes the effort worthwhile in my opinion.

What's funny is this topic has come up multiple times over the years (more than 18 months ago for sure) and the comments were the same then as now.  People want this.  People want that.  People want free.  I get it.  As a real world example, in my "real" business, I tried giving away free vacuums to wash CUSTOMERS for the past two years as a perk to existing customers and to drum up new business.  What happened?  Freeloaders and non-customers filled the vacuum slots and pissed the paying customers off, thus forcing me to get rid of them.  Our original idea was great for awhile, then things changed.  Garbage went up, wear and tear on equipment increased, electricity went up and traffic increased to the point where people would not come in for a wash or oil change because they couldn't get in the lot.  I couldn't even promote the free vacs anymore for fear of making the situation worse.  Traffic is great for a business or website, but the quality of traffic is what pays the bills. 

Times change.  Cost change.  We either adapt or die.  I believe people will pay for premium service and convenience if its worth it.  There will always be a free component to the site that is valuable and worthwhile to visit and utilize.  This site is more than "investing and reselling" LEGO sets.  It's also about LEGO sets and saving money buying them.  Many members could care less about reselling and collecting sets.  They want to buy them at a fair price and build them...like they should be.  Whether LEGO reselling has peaked can be debated (and is debated in other threads), but if it has peaked, data and information can be the difference for those who still dabble in the LEGO reselling business and hobby.  But for those who just want a place to hang out for awhile and get some useful information and banter, it will still be here and be free.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

I know you might be reticent to share incomplete information, especially based on people's responses to the possibility, but what is the ballpark figure?  I'm sure a lot of people here are worried, but are we talking in the $5-10 per month range, or substantially higher.  Honestly I feel most people who are stressed might back off their worries if they realize the fees are small, especially in relation to the money spent on deals found through the site.  I'm personally guessing the $5-10 range (or a slightly discounted annual pass to save money on transaction fees for you/lock up money up front) is probably all you're talking about, which should be worth it to anyone who uses the site enough to need the "extras" that won't be on the free site.  Either way, I'm very thankful for the service that has been provided for free up to this point and expect to be a paid subscriber when that option is available.  Remember, it is always the vocal minority with the problems...

I think that would be a fair estimate.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Whether LEGO reselling has peaked can be debated (and is debated in other threads), but if it has peaked, data and information can be the difference for those who still dabble in the LEGO reselling business and hobby.  But for those who just want a place to hang out for awhile and get some useful information and banter, it will still be here and be free.  

I came here to look up set values (2 years ago), registered because I wanted to try my hand at reselling (1yr ago), stayed because of the atmosphere, the comraderie and of course the heads-up on good deals. Even if I were to only buy for personal use, or, name-your-deity-forbid stop buying LEGO altogether, I'd still hang around just because of the banter. Happy to see that the banter is being recognized as a raison-d'etre for this site :)

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, dmind said:

It seems bogus bricks is also releasing it's own modulars (unless it is a copy of an AFOL), noted one with almost 8.000 pieces! There are a few more non-copied (??) ones,

That's an AFOL designed set.  He had put the instructions out there into the world, and a couple months ago, it showed up as a future set to be released by L*pin.  I believe he pulled the directions, and was pretty pissed off that they were stolen from him.

Of course, the L*pin defenders of the world just say "well, he shouldn't put them out there if he didn't want someone to take them and use them."

• 1 year later...
On 10/18/2016 at 6:11 PM, Ed Mack said:

LOL...I think what you fail to realize is that it was never about "cashing in."  The site makes enough money to support itself, but it doesn't support Jeff and I in any way, shape or form...which is sad due to the effort put into it.  It's about a LEGO passion that I have and a passion for programming that Jeff has.  The one thing that I will be eternally grateful for is that this site and LEGO raffle enabled us to raise $62,000.00+ for my son's school last year and that alone makes the effort worthwhile in my opinion.

What's funny is this topic has come up multiple times over the years (more than 18 months ago for sure) and the comments were the same then as now.  People want this.  People want that.  People want free.  I get it.  As a real world example, in my "real" business, I tried giving away free vacuums to wash CUSTOMERS for the past two years as a perk to existing customers and to drum up new business.  What happened?  Freeloaders and non-customers filled the vacuum slots and pissed the paying customers off, thus forcing me to get rid of them.  Our original idea was great for awhile, then things changed.  Garbage went up, wear and tear on equipment increased, electricity went up and traffic increased to the point where people would not come in for a wash or oil change because they couldn't get in the lot.  I couldn't even promote the free vacs anymore for fear of making the situation worse.  Traffic is great for a business or website, but the quality of traffic is what pays the bills. 

Times change.  Cost change.  We either adapt or die.  I believe people will pay for premium service and convenience if its worth it.  There will always be a free component to the site that is valuable and worthwhile to visit and utilize.  This site is more than "investing and reselling" LEGO sets.  It's also about LEGO sets and saving money buying them.  Many members could care less about reselling and collecting sets.  They want to buy them at a fair price and build them...like they should be.  Whether LEGO reselling has peaked can be debated (and is debated in other threads), but if it has peaked, data and information can be the difference for those who still dabble in the LEGO reselling business and hobby.  But for those who just want a place to hang out for awhile and get some useful information and banter, it will still be here and be free.  

Sooo.. if I got all mentioned around here in correctly, you are kind of making a new marketplace in a new version of BP? That ppl wouldnt have to sell sets through AMZ, eBay etc.?

• 7 months later...

Retiring soon: bogus bricks

Dear all customers,

We (bogus bricks Factory) regret to announce that all bogus bricks Blocks Set will stop production from 01st May 2019. This notice is effective from the Chinese Government and Shanghai Police. All remaining bogus bricks sets will sell as usual sell but will not re stock in future. We thank you for your love of bogus bricks during the past time. We want notice you ASAP when bogus bricks is back to selling.

Thesis Brands wants to continue selling as usual:

• Xingbao blocks
  • Bricks Delight (LED Light Bricks)

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=de&sp=nmt4&u=https://lepinland.com/announcement-bogus bricks-blocks-set-will-stop-production-from-01st-may-2019/&xid=25657,15700022,15700186,15700190,15700253,15700256,15700259&usg=ALkJrhgY_6bypvjXc-yyWK4NFFAL2S-a3w

3 hours ago, carini26 said:

Retiring soon: bogus bricks

Dear all customers,

We (bogus bricks Factory) regret to announce that all bogus bricks Blocks Set will stop production from 01st May 2019. This notice is effective from the Chinese Government and Shanghai Police. All remaining bogus bricks sets will sell as usual sell but will not re stock in future. We thank you for your love of bogus bricks during the past time. We want notice you ASAP when bogus bricks is back to selling.

Thesis Brands wants to continue selling as usual:

• Xingbao blocks
  • Bricks Delight (LED Light Bricks)

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=de&sp=nmt4&u=https://lepinland.com/announcement-bogus bricks-blocks-set-will-stop-production-from-01st-may-2019/&xid=25657,15700022,15700186,15700190,15700253,15700256,15700259&usg=ALkJrhgY_6bypvjXc-yyWK4NFFAL2S-a3w

so you're telling me the bogus branded sets have become "exclusive" and may go up in value?

12 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

so you're telling me the bogus branded sets have become "exclusive" and may go up in value?

Nah, telling you new factory will pop up a couple blocks over, rebrand themselves as NIPEL, and it will be back to business as usual.

Disruption in supply may however create small window for those who have been holding authentic sets.