75920 - Raptor Escape

Jeff Mack

56 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

It was a Walmart exclusive...

I think your right... since walmart don't hold in store sets for long, even online sometimes, compare to toys-r-us who keeps them all for the entire life cycle... walmart exclusive are a better choice... but don't think there is something has strong out there has RE.. we do research for sure on this

On June 11, 2016 at 7:44 PM, BrickLegacy said:

One of my biggest mistakes of 2015 was dumping these at Christmas.

I wouldn't call it a mistake either.  I also sold a few off at that time.  I paired them with some other sets, and easily doubled on them.  To double money on these after less than 5 months, is a win no matter how you look at it.  

However, what i'm hoping for is this set to go "zombies".  We shall see if that happens at the 2 year mark, but i'd like to see it hit 200 before I sell anymore.

Two things I don't understand about this set:

1. Why did it only get such a short run? I mean every other set is still there! I just don't get it... I mean okay hoarders hoarded... alright but still...

2. I don't get the appeal of it. I mean I do! For the original price that is. It got a holding area and two of the greatest dinosaurs and everything for an okay price. But buying this set for the same price as the "main" set of this wave just doesn't work for me.

There literally is nothing special about it. Okay we get the same dinosaurs we get in another set just in different colors. As for the minifigs they neither are THAT important to the story nor that unique that you cannot just replace them buy a random minifig... not even the design is particularly interesting. So what is it about this set other than not being available anymore? I mean I'd get it if this would have been the only set including the raptors... or one of the main characters and an important side character...

7 hours ago, cladner said:

demand for this set seems inexhaustible.  sold 8 in the last 4 days for $99.99 + $4.99 shipping each FBA..

still have 9  left.  how high can this go - 150-200?  1 million dollars?  infinity + 1?

love sets like this that are made of money but sad to see my supply dwindle down.  cue newbie77's "final uptick" comment.

what will this years Raptor Escape be?  it's out there right now sitting on the shelves.

@ amazon still too many sellers to see the "final uptick". 158+ {IMHO} still a large number. when it goes down to about 40 sellers that's the point when we see a significant uptick.

i believe recent buys are from "newly converted LEGO investors who wants a copy and wants to pile on the something that's going up" ..... 

this set will get eventual boost when other JW sets retire. i believe this set will see about $150 by october of 2016 [that's when i expect other JW lines to disappear]. its uptick will be limited to $150 [ that's when overseas supply will start appearing in US market ]

smart $ either moved $ out of this set in november and reloaded in march and holding onto them. 

26 minutes ago, Locutus001 said:

1. Why did it only get such a short run? I mean every other set is still there! I just don't get it... I mean okay hoarders hoarded... alright but still...

2. I don't get the appeal of it. I mean I do! For the original price that is. It got a holding area and two of the greatest dinosaurs and everything for an okay price. But buying this set for the same price as the "main" set of this wave just doesn't work for me.

There literally is nothing special about it. Okay we get the same dinosaurs we get in another set just in different colors. As for the minifigs they neither are THAT important to the story nor that unique that you cannot just replace them buy a random minifig... not even the design is particularly interesting. So what is it about this set other than not being available anymore? I mean I'd get it if this would have been the only set including the raptors... or one of the main characters and an important side character...

this set is popular not only with "horde" but with real lego users [kids]. as lot of other members have mentioned. i doubt lot of "horde" got their hand on this. but the real deal in US this set was only available either via WALMART and/or LEGO Stores. we may hate walmart for lot of things but their distribution is awesome. their online operates as a separate entity and has separate inventory. which meant this set got distributed pretty widely via stores. i personally don't think there are any sellers there with 100 copies of these. hence the rise in value.

unlike other sets which got distributed via all BB plus online sellers. and horde has a massive inventory + no one is running out of these yet LOL..... i started seeing these in local target :) ... i seriously doubt other sets will see that big jump. i would say it would take at least 2 years to double investment in other JW sets provided TLG don't release another line by then.

by far my most profitable line. i guess TRU banned me because of the 30320 ;).. sold 50% of my stock at $14,99 [even to some fellow BP'ers via amazon who were bundling it with 75920]. sold another 25% individual at 24,99 :P LOL...  and about 5% even @ $49,99 who would have thunk that small poly-bag was worth $49,99 

1 hour ago, Locutus001 said:

1) maybe it was a limited run exclusive to certain shops.

2) The first rule of Lego investing - Demand correlates with scarcity.

2 hours ago, Val-E said:

1) maybe it was a limited run exclusive to certain shops.

2) The first rule of Lego investing - Demand correlates with scarcity.

2) yeah I know, but why not just buy 75919 and 75917 and you get a better, bigger holding area, way more minifigures, literally the same dinosaurs (plus the big one) and if you get both only a little bit cheaper the price won't even be that much higher than buying just this one set via reseller... if there would be anything special about this set (like just this set having the raptors) I would get it... but this way I just don't.

29 minutes ago, Locutus001 said:

2) yeah I know, but why not just buy 75919 and 75917 and you get a better, bigger holding area, way more minifigures, literally the same dinosaurs (plus the big one) and if you get both only a little bit cheaper the price won't even be that much higher than buying just this one set via reseller... if there would be anything special about this set (like just this set having the raptors) I would get it... but this way I just don't.

But they're not the same raptors... sure they are almost identical, but if you have kids you'll understand that they are indeed NOT the same. You need all 4 raptors.

1 hour ago, gregpj said:

But they're not the same raptors... sure they are almost identical, but if you have kids you'll understand that they are indeed NOT the same. You need all 4 raptors.

Regardless of the raptors, I still think there is a price ceiling for this set.  I'm just not sure what the ceiling is.

34 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Regardless of the raptors, I still think there is a price ceiling for this set.  I'm just not sure what the ceiling is.

I agree .. the set itself is mediocre so the raptors are the only thing carrying it. I agree with newbie and $150 will be it's upper limit... maybe you get the swing of $160 on Amazon, $140 on eBay (or so) but I can't see it hitting $200.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Give "lego raptor escape" a quick search on Amazon.com and see what pops up. You have scroll to #11 on the list for the actual Amazon listing. I searched for Lego 75920 on CCC, and came up with the T-Rex tracker (Amazon shows the Raptor Rampage, 75917 first). 

Smells mighty fishy. Any ideas as to what has happened? 

They merged the listing with some other listing filled with dregs, and the dreg listing took precedence somehow.  It will probably take a few months to go back up in ranking.  You might want to edit your listing to say "official non-knockoff set".

There's going to be a lot of unhappy customers on this one i'm afraid. 

Edited by fossilrock

• 2 weeks later...