What set do you want but will never get

grand carousel and taj mahal 

yeah, I thought their prices were high before.  the prices are getting even higher.  Used 10196s earlier this year could be had for $900 (under $800 with some luck). Now the prices are around $1,400+.  

Same with the Taj to some extent.  These mid to late non-licensed exclusive 2000s sets with 2-3 years of retail just keep going up and up.

The Zombies...I remember seeing them on the shelf at Target but never bought one because it never went on sale. Next thing you know it's completely gone from the retail market. Now it's too overpriced for what you get with it IMO.

i'll sell you one for a nice deal :) ha 

MISB prices have actually decreased a tad before last Halloween. 

• Like 1

The Zombies...I remember seeing them on the shelf at Target but never bought one because it never went on sale. Next thing you know it's completely gone from the retail market. Now it's too overpriced for what you get with it IMO.

But Zombies is easy to Bricklink, unlike some of the others. True, you have to substitute the Moon (?) Stone and the color of the bride's hair, but that's the bulk of the extra cost. I did it earlier this year for less than $20.

I would like to own / build Cafe Corner.  However, I would then want Market Street and Green Grocer.  Finally, I'm insane enough to want every other modular.  I just don't have the display space.  Thus sadly I will not ever buy Cafe Corner because of my self-control issues. 

Now if I lucked into one for 1/2 of market price, i would just sell it.  The temptation of building it would lead be down a dark path.

• Like 2

I remember looking in the Lego section of FAO Schwarz in 2002 at Yoda (7194) and the Statue of Liberty (3450) and thinking how cool they were, how far Lego had progressed, and how I would never be able to afford them.  Those would be two on my list I will probably not be able to get, but I will never say never.

I also remember being at a Lego store in 2007 and awestruck by GG, CC, and GC, all three in one place.  I could not find a way to afford them then, and amazingly, I doubt I will be able to find a way to afford them now.  Although I did find a way to trade for an open box, sealed bags GC last year.  But a sealed one is probably just a dream.   

• Like 1

Cafe Corner

Taj Mahal

UCS Death Star II

Imperial Flagship

VW Beetle

Black Pearl (affordable but can't justify it)

Winter Village Bakery/Toy Shop/Post Office (see above)

Only out of the dark ages last year, so I've missed a lot clearly.

Haven't yet ruled out the Green Grocer or UCS Imperial Shuttle 

Cafe Corner

Taj Mahal

UCS Death Star II

Imperial Flagship

VW Beetle

Black Pearl (affordable but can't justify it)

Winter Village Bakery/Toy Shop/Post Office (see above)

Only out of the dark ages last year, so I've missed a lot clearly.

Haven't yet ruled out the Green Grocer or UCS Imperial Shuttle 

I would think Jeff Probst wouldn't give these purchases a second thought...

But Zombies is easy to Bricklink, unlike some of the others. True, you have to substitute the Moon (?) Stone and the color of the bride's hair, but that's the bulk of the extra cost. I did it earlier this year for less than $20.

but purists like some of us need those slightly "special" elements and never heard of this practice called substituting.  

I need to do this and sell mine.  I bought one, with a coupon at some point.  I think they had a $5 coupon you could use during this period, but I think that's the best deal I saw on it.  They disappeared quick, but I guess I'm glad the Monster Fighters theme appealed to me and I had to get the whole set shortly after they were released.

It was a sad affair when I bought Winter Toy Shop, Curiosity Rover, BP, and QAR for around MSRP but could not justify opening them due to how high their market prices were.  Also, Imperial Flagship would be nice to have

I never had any desire to build the Zombies sets and gladly sold them for average of 4.5x MSRP :money: They might as well go up higher but I was satisfied with that level of performance ;)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...