What set do you want but will never get

As the cost of retired sets move higher and higher I was wondering which ones people have resigned to the "set that got away" category.   For me, they are the Taj Mahal, 10179 Falcon, and the Unexpected Gathering. 

It's like around $100 or so?  I wouldn't want to pay more than $50.  another one is wolverine chopper showdown.  I like the box art but it too is too expensive. 

Unexpected gathering was 69.99 (and up) at retail. If you truly like it, not sure why you wouldn't pay more than 50 bucks. Heck it sold out at CLEARANCE for $54 in my neck of the woods. Agreed on all the others though. Gathering is worth every bit of $100 bucks to a fan that wants to build it. If you're talking investing, then sure you've missed the boat.

Having been lucky to either currently or formerly own many of the "big" sets, one that I've never had and probably won't would be Statue of Liberty.  Another I would say would be 10030 UCS Imperial Star Destroyer but I may pony up for that at some point unless they come out with a re-issue which I wouldn't completely rule out as it's virtually as iconic as the X-Wing and MF.  Not quite to that level, but I'd say it's just behind them.

• Like 1

10179 Falcon

Once had an open box but never assembled set that I bought back in the day but sold it off to a hardcore Star Wars collector for $3000 a few years ago. I'll never own this set again and I would bet money on another UCS example coming from LEGO sooner or later...

None so far...  with a little patience, the right contact network & a suitable sized trading inventory, I haven't yet been unable to find anything on the wanted/must have list.  Granted in some cases the patience is more than a little, but there's so much current stuff to keep one occupied it's just not something I'd worry about.  

Does seem the treasure sets are often buried in whole-collection purchases or the becoming ever more & more common "getting out of the game"  or "getting out of debt" opportunities. ;-)

Grand Carousel, Imperial Flagship, and UCS Falcon.

I tell the story often that I would see the GC on display at Legoland California.  Despite liking the set, and taking my (then 18 month old) daughter to Legoland all the time, I was still in my dark ages.  I remember thinking "who would pay $250 for a Lego set?"  *sigh*

The Imperial Flagship because, after building the QAR, I've discovered I really like the Lego ships.  And the UCS Falcon because, well, it's the MF.  And it's a UCS.  And it's big and awesome.

• Like 3

UCS Falcon - Had a sealed one that I sold a year ago for $3200. I don't think it'll ever get replaced in my collection as I'm not a big fan of paying $1000+ for a Lego set.

UCS Snowspeeder - One of my favorite vehicles of all time. I may try bricklinking this but it would be my first project.

• Like 1

UCS Falcon - Had a sealed one that I sold a year ago for $3200. I don't think it'll ever get replaced in my collection as I'm not a big fan of paying $1000+ for a Lego set.

UCS Snowspeeder - One of my favorite vehicles of all time. I may try bricklinking this but it would be my first project.

UCS Snowspeeder as well.  

• Like 1

There are some near impossible parts to find with this set as far as trying to bricklink it.  I have looked into it in the past and quickly gave up when I saw the prices and the amount of people selling said prices was near zero. 

Imperial Flagship. It's one of the reasons why I think the Sea Cow will do well.

I'm bricklinking a flagship. It's not too bad, just have to replace the red brown columns with black. Will post results once I finish. 

I would love the carousel but won't pay. Never know when a craigslist deal might pop up though so I won't say never. 

There are some near impossible parts to find with this set as far as trying to bricklink it.  I have looked into it in the past and quickly gave up when I saw the prices and the amount of people selling said prices was near zero. 

I'm ok with replacing the orange pieces with grey or red and I'm ok with the windscreens being another clear color. I think that was all the pricey pieces that I heard of. I haven't started the process yet, as I don't have much free time right now.

Grand Carousel, Imperial Flagship, and UCS Falcon.

I tell the story often that I would see the GC on display at Legoland California.  Despite liking the set, and taking my (then 18 month old) daughter to Legoland all the time, I was still in my dark ages.  I remember thinking "who would pay $250 for a Lego set?"  *sigh*

The Imperial Flagship because, after building the QAR, I've discovered I really like the Lego ships.  And the UCS Falcon because, well, it's the MF.  And it's a UCS.  And it's big and awesome.

Yeah it would be nice to get an imperial flagship and ucs falcon one day....... 

Death Star II and the UCS Snowspeeder. Previously on my list was UCS Falcon and Imperial Flagship, but I've managed to acquire those the past year or so via brick-building/used purchase as they are probably my two favourite sets.

However i don't think i have the time or desire to brick-build the other 2, and the price doesn't justify these 2 for me.