Ideas #012: 21303 - WALL-E

mattyman

Guest TabbyBoy
On 16/10/2016 at 10:17 PM, GiliusThunderhead said:

Just picked up one of these from TRU - 47S5... got me thinking.  When did the neck fix come in for this one?  Seems to be that 47S5 should be ok but can't find a definitive answer.

+ I see this is back at Argos in the UK so any small thought's of it sailing off into the sunset are well and truly doused from the evidence I've seen.

It doesn't matter to me as nobody wants a trashed box plastered in labels and shipped in a bin liner ;-)

8 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

It doesn't matter to me as nobody wants a trashed box plastered in labels and shipped in a bin liner ;-)

The boxes on the ideas sets are of a real good quality with a high end luxury feel. Too good to be kicked around the floor by some numbnuts. This is going but Argos have the remaining trashed sh*t that keeps getting returned to them. I wonder do Argos get deals for beat up Lego sets from other retailers who can't sell the bashed up boxes to their customers and are happy to discount them to Argos?

20 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I do wonder what happens to all the sets that get rejected (and I just read @Alfiepops post - great minds hey).  Assuming the employees probably end up getting them for pennies on the £.  Made the Argos Faux pas again yesterday (not Lego related but still the same out come).

BTW - page 17 details the neck fix.  Anything post week 47 is good.  Also going back though this tread to find the date makes some good reading.  
I completely forgot how bad all the kerfuffle was regarding the neck issue and the multiple fixes (ok 2) - especially in the states.  Back last dec is was "check back in May" on LEGO Shop at Home for them.  Obviously May ended up being a massive overestimation.  But given this set was released then "pulled" makes me think that it really didnt have the lifespan you might assume just looking at the release dates.

Doubt any future buyers will be aware of the neck issue but might save people some headache if you remember week 47 when you do sell and specifically mention the seal code and if it is one post the fix.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, GiliusThunderhead said:

I do wonder what happens to all the sets that get rejected (and I just read @Alfiepops post - great minds hey).  Assuming the employees probably end up getting them for pennies on the £.  Made the Argos Faux pas again yesterday (not Lego related but still the same out come).

BTW - page 17 details the neck fix.  Anything post week 47 is good.  Also going back though this tread to find the date makes some good reading.  
I completely forgot how bad all the kerfuffle was regarding the neck issue and the multiple fixes (ok 2) - especially in the states.  Back last dec is was "check back in May" on LEGO Shop at Home for them.  Obviously May ended up being a massive overestimation.  But given this set was released then "pulled" makes me think that it really didnt have the lifespan you might assume just looking at the release dates.

Doubt any future buyers will be aware of the neck issue but might save people some headache if you remember week 47 when you do sell and specifically mention the seal code and if it is one post the fix.

You can bet your bottom $ that Argos have the ones with the busted neck! The boat load I bought from Asda recently were all 36S6.

Guest TabbyBoy
43 minutes ago, Brian Briggs said:

Just received a WALL-E with 41S6 seals. Must have been shipped directly from their factory. :lol:

Along with the 36S6 from last week, the ones I picked up from Asda yesterday this week were also 41S6 and they were still warm ;-) However, they weren't in factory boxes this time but, still very well packed. The future is bright for this yellow robot!

I was at DisneyLand Paris last month and it struck me that there was absolutely no Wall•E presence whatsoever, even on the merchandise side. They actually have a Lego store on site and the Ideas set wasn't available there.

Given the fact that the producers have ruled out a sequel, plus the well-documented production issues, I'm not sure anybody should be placing their faith in it as an investment.

Taken as a set in isolation for build and play, however, it's tremendous.

6 minutes ago, wotguvnotmeguv said:

I was at DisneyLand Paris last month and it struck me that there was absolutely no Wall•E presence whatsoever, even on the merchandise side. They actually have a Lego store on site and the Ideas set wasn't available there.

Given the fact that the producers have ruled out a sequel, plus the well-documented production issues, I'm not sure anybody should be placing their faith in it as an investment.

Some may come to exactly the opposite conclusion. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wotguvnotmeguv said:

I thought they just said it wasn't coming in 2017 but didnt fully rule it out (could be wrong).

I get your point. Nothing like a bit of free advertising to keep a set in the light but I don't think people will forget about this one. Just one of those great stand alone sets.

2 minutes ago, biking_tiger said:

Some may come to exactly the opposite conclusion. 

Personally I'm in this camp. Of all the soon to be retired sets this is the one I think will have most demand.

• Like 1

I find Wall-e to be an Iconic Pixar story about a very cute robot.  The popularity comes as well with Disney owned products imho.  Just as an iconic Johnny #5 makes the ideas list (only to however be denied), I think Wall-E will hold a place in many children's hearts of this generation.  So once he is gone from the shelf, as a Disney/Pixar character, I feel he will increase in value to some extent.  Not a dud by any means.  This was the Lego set that got me back into my childhood Hobby.  If not my trigger, it would without a doubt be at the top of my wants.

Edited by Klownicle
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Along with the 36S6 from last week, the ones I picked up from Asda yesterday this week were also 41S6 and they were still warm ;-) However, they weren't in factory boxes this time but, still very well packed. The future is bright for this yellow robot!

I was listening to the "All Sorted" podcast last week, and they were wondering aloud whether LEGO has been cutting costs by minimizing warehouse space by sending product direct from the production sites to the end sites.  So that makes a lot of sense that you would see seal codes that "fresh."

Edited by Alpinemaps
Corrected podcast name
  • Like 1

Semi interesting observation.  When Tesco went OOS on this set the next "best price" (when i looked yesterday) was £59.99 (1.5x RRP).

OK - you can't infer much from that but I think when this goes from retail its an indication at where this might initially jump to.  Not had a chance to see where the other sets priced to but this is one where (in the uK) at 25% off stock quickly gets wiped out.

Guest TabbyBoy
33 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

Still in stock at Smyths (UK) along with Dr Who and TBBT. All three are sold out at Smyths (Ireland) so hopefully they'll be gone from the UK branches soon.

I'm going to list a load of WALL-E, Doctor Who, Ecto1 and TBBT in a couple of weeks for 30 days BIN at above RRP with manual Best Offer. It would be interesting to know if any offers get close to RRP. There's a lot more cheapskates stalking eBay these days. One thing I love doing is to let lowballer's offers expire after 48hrs leaving them with false hopes. I have a set formula and if the price reaches that, it's sold!

• 2 weeks later...