Bricklink/BrickOwl - Discussion, questions, & answers

8 minutes ago, redcell said:

Why would you need to switch to accrual?  

There is some ambiguous language, or kind of a loophole to this IRS statement. "Generally, if you produce, purchase, or sell merchandise in your business, you must keep an inventory and use an accrual method for purchases and sales of merchandise."

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I got a noob question.

Sold something on BL. Buyer paid via PayPal. The shipping address in BL and PayPal matched. However, I noticed that the recipient name and email address is different than the payer name and address.

So as long I ship to the address and recipient listed on PayPal and BL, I assumed there is no concern. Is that correct?

For info, buyer has zero feedback and only registered recently.

I got a noob question.
Sold something on BL. Buyer paid via PayPal. The shipping address in BL and PayPal matched. However, I noticed that the recipient name and email address is different than the payer name and address.
So as long I ship to the address and recipient listed on PayPal and BL, I assumed there is no concern. Is that correct?
For info, buyer has zero feedback and only registered recently.

Yes that is correct. Priority one is you need to ship to where the PayPal order lists, that’s how you are covered. Second (ideal) scenario is that address lines up with the bricklink order address.

The actual name and email address can differ, happens to me a lot (usually a parents account, but addresses the package to a kid).

Zero feedback always gives me anxiety, but everyone starts somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that is correct. Priority one is you need to ship to where the PayPal order lists, that’s how you are covered. Second (ideal) scenario is that address lines up with the bricklink order address.

The actual name and email address can differ, happens to me a lot (usually a parents account, but addresses the package to a kid).

Zero feedback always gives me anxiety, but everyone starts somewhere.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Lately, I've been getting fair number of purchases from new buyer - some with 0 feedback, recently registered, etc. My price is very competitive possibly I got increased interests. On the other hand, I know I should not be judgmental, am I overthinking if there is potential scam?

I assumed so as long I shipped to the registered address in BL and PayPal, with tracked changes and confirmed delivery (even though if buyer didn't leave feedback or marked transaction is completed), I should be covered. Is there anything I should look out for if buyer lodge a claim through PayPal or BL few months down the road.

I only set up to sell on BL recently, so pardon for asking the questions. Response/ Advice from the community always appreciated.

5 hours ago, Ogelwoc said:

Lately, I've been getting fair number of purchases from new buyer - some with 0 feedback, recently registered, etc. My price is very competitive possibly I got increased interests. On the other hand, I know I should not be judgmental, am I overthinking if there is potential scam?

I assumed so as long I shipped to the registered address in BL and PayPal, with tracked changes and confirmed delivery (even though if buyer didn't leave feedback or marked transaction is completed), I should be covered. Is there anything I should look out for if buyer lodge a claim through PayPal or BL few months down the road.

I only set up to sell on BL recently, so pardon for asking the questions. Response/ Advice from the community always appreciated.

I personally have not had any problems with 0 feedback buyers...except one, they ordered and then vanished without paying or responding. leaving me without that inventory while I waited then I cancelled and BL deactivated that account soon after.  That same account had done that to many stores for the same set while it was hot. I believe it was an SDCC set.

6 hours ago, Ogelwoc said:

This is honestly only a question asked by newer sellers.  I have had far worse luck with experienced buyers claiming issues than 0 feedback buyers. 

You generally should not fear any buyers. Never cancel an order because you are suspicious unless we are talking huge, huge red flags like a high value order paid PayPal and asked to be shipped to a different address.

With the backing of Lego now, I would not be surprised to see a constant growth of new buyers, embrace those buyers and sell some Lego!  Also if you can spend the time to configure instant checkout. I haven't had a NPB in years. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 10:15 PM, Belac said:

I personally have not had any problems with 0 feedback buyers...except one, they ordered and then vanished without paying or responding. leaving me without that inventory while I waited then I cancelled and BL deactivated that account soon after.  That same account had done that to many stores for the same set while it was hot. I believe it was an SDCC set.

I just had a weird one from a buyer with 20 feedback.  She/he bought a njo486, Jay Future, from me and insisted that it was fake because "the black line was missing on the neck and all LEGO figures have that line."  I'm going to assume that they meant the indexing mark on the stud.  That torso does not have one.  I referenced the page on BL for that torso with the photo of it.  I haven't heard back yet.

36 minutes ago, raindog said:

I just had a weird one from a buyer with 20 feedback.  She/he bought a njo486, Jay Future, from me and insisted that it was fake because "the black line was missing on the neck and all LEGO figures have that line."  I'm going to assume that they meant the indexing mark on the stud.  That torso does not have one.  I referenced the page on BL for that torso with the photo of it.  I haven't heard back yet.

It doesn’t have one. 

97BFF170-90F3-4EB2-AB15-30AB22711EB8.jpeg

6C885DFE-5D12-4D20-B6A5-9E1A767CE7C5.jpeg

5 hours ago, raindog said:

I get this complaint mainly from headgear that doesn't have the "Lego" stamp in it but has the "C" for the copyright.  One of many reasons that I stopped selling parts and have gone strictly to figures and sets.  Way less orders, but much less stress in my life as well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

It doesn’t have one. 

Pretty sure that is exactly what I said.  I've been selling on BL for over 7 years and this is about the weirdest complaint that I have heard.  Not the thought that all torsos have indexing marks but someone stating it with the confidence that they had.  I also suggested that they get a magnifying glass out and see the LEGO molded in on the end of the stud.

Edited by raindog

5 hours ago, Huskers1236 said:

I get this complaint mainly from headgear that doesn't have the "Lego" stamp in it but has the "C" for the copyright.  One of many reasons that I stopped selling parts and have gone strictly to figures and sets.  Way less orders, but much less stress in my life as well.

That's exactly what I started doing two years ago.  Selling mostly minifigs and sets.  The sell that I made was for a figure njo486.  While I normally ship minifigs unassembled, that figure comes from LEGO assembled so that is how I mailed it.  That means that the buyer took it apart, looking for the mark.  I know for a fact that it was real because I supplied it from 12 of the 4-figured TRU sets that TRU used to sell.

aaa.jpg

11 minutes ago, raindog said:

Pretty sure that is exactly what I said.  I've been selling on BL for over 7 years and this is about the weirdest complaint that I have heard.  Not the thought that all torsos have indexing marks but someone stating it with the confidence that they had.  I also suggested that they get a magnifying glass out and see the LEGO molded in on the end of the stud.

Yeah, that is an odd one.  I have seen torsos come both ways, especially the build a fig parts.  To me it always seemed like one of those very minor variations that no one should ever care about.

So I sold $7.62 worth of LEGO to someone in Europe. I charged them $2.20 in shipping and handling (it was a sticker so I sent it in regular international mail). Now I see this:

image.png.156d750322a61f328a742d0201ad9bbc.png

Looks like BrickOwl is taking the Import VAT out of my price, instead of charging the customer. Is that correct? Anyone seen this before?

(Looks like BrickOwl used my 2.20 and made it EUR as well).

13 minutes ago, Phil B said:

So I sold $7.62 worth of LEGO to someone in Europe. I charged them $2.20 in shipping and handling (it was a sticker so I sent it in regular international mail). Now I see this:

Looks like BrickOwl is taking the Import VAT out of my price, instead of charging the customer. Is that correct? Anyone seen this before?

In UK all prices in stores and on line include VAT in the advertised price, probably same in EU. Seems to me that they are treating you the same way, which shouldn't be

14 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Check the actual price listed for your sticker, for some reason they don't separate tax, they just add it into the price. I had a similar issue and was told it is normal for everyone except for us in the USA. Still seems idiotic to not separate it out and build it into the price of the item but it does work out in the end. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Randyipp said:
Check the actual price listed for your sticker, for some reason they don't separate tax, they just add it into the price. I had a similar issue and was told it is normal for everyone except for us in the USA. Still seems idiotic to not separate it out and build it into the price of the item but it does work out in the end. 

That was it. Turns out my list price is less than the sell price quoted in the order. I think this immediately explains the increase in shipping too, they added VAT there as well.

Edited by Phil B

shipping a BL order to Poland and want to double check the customs hurdles that I have never encountered before: 

regarding order receipt that must be included for customs: "Standard envelopes taped down to the side of the package with “Customs” written on the outside of the envelope are also acceptable, but please ensure the envelope does not obstruct any barcodes on the shipping label."  So, to clarify, is this exactly what it sounds like:  I can fold this receipt up, put it in an envelope, and tape it to the package with "Customs" written on it? 

thanks in advance 

Edited by legorunner
answered the second question

• 3 months later...
On 8/21/2021 at 4:21 PM, Phil B said:

That was it. Turns out my list price is less than the sell price quoted in the order. I think this immediately explains the increase in shipping too, they added VAT there as well.

For the EU, VAT is charged over everything, so the item price and shipping. Duty charges as well, they are charged over the total cost of the item including price, and shipping. And then there is a fee to collect the VAT and Duty. So small cheap item becomes very expensive. 

• 1 month later...

I have a set on Bricklink that someone would like to pick up locally.  I've sold many sets, but never with local pickup unless it was for cash on FB/OU/CL. Any advice?  Meet at the police station and cash only?  Then how would I report it in Bricklink?  What about taxes?  Thanks for any insights!

1 hour ago, FM said:

I have a set on Bricklink that someone would like to pick up locally.  I've sold many sets, but never with local pickup unless it was for cash on FB/OU/CL. Any advice?  Meet at the police station and cash only?  Then how would I report it in Bricklink?  What about taxes?  Thanks for any insights!

I did a handful of local pickup orders on bl, basically you just knock off the shipping, everything else stays the same. Transaction gets registered on bl, buyer paid via pp, and bl collects tax.

Then, you can message buyer for the meetup location, no difference than selling / buying on FB/OU/CL

• Like 1