Bricklink/BrickOwl - Discussion, questions, & answers

14 minutes ago, Goofball814 said:

says it doesn't support shipping to Nebraska (my state).

Anytime you see this it means the seller has not offered an onsite payment method so that Bricklink can collect state taxes.

Tell the seller this, you can also point them to the forum, just search "doesn't support shipping to" and you should see hundreds of posts about it.  I still can't believe that haven't changed this message to actually make sense.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Phil B said:

Saw a rumor on Reddit that BrickLink might have been hacked, and that store inventories got updated and then put under ransom. BL is currently down for unplanned maintenance, so there might be some truth to this:

More validation on the same maintenance page, it has been updated.

"We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you.
We are currently investigating some unusual activity, so it’s too early to speculate further. We will share more information once it’s available."

They had at least one threat of a hack. Someone posted on a hacked account with threats and demands that would begin in an hour if they did not receive payment. Delete store inventories, they have payment info, etc., those kind of threats. 

It reads like 3 messages in one with not quite perfect English phrasing so who knows if it's just an empty threat or if it's legit. Who knows how long the site will be down, but at least it means less work today for me!

So yes, unusual activity indeed.

• Like 1

Various fan blogs are all commenting on the rumored hack, and its now been picked up by at least one news outlet: https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/3/23945876/a-popular-lego-marketplace-might-have-been-hacked, though not a particularly large one. It will be interesting to see if it hits mainstream news or not. If it is what everyone thinks it is, then I expect it will once news organizations realize LEGO owns BL now - lots of flashy "LEGO HACKED" headlines to come...

Besides the obvious loss of sales while the website is down, it will be interesting to see if this has any impact on overall BL traffic. Fewer people trust the site after this? More people know of the site after this? Is it handled in a way that no one really knows about it outside of the already existing community and there is no change at all? 

For my small time shop its just a minor inconvenience and mostly I'm just bummed I can't place the last order I need to complete some used winter village sets, but I really feel for all of the folks that rely on BL for serious income. Lots of good people in the BL community! 

13 hours ago, bhambricks said:

Maybe they can investigate why I’m not selling much on BrickLink while they’re at it…..

Ha, I hear that. My revenue in October was 1/3 that of my second lowest month this year, and that was July when I closed the store for vacation for 2 weeks...

16 hours ago, azalon said:

They had at least one threat of a hack. Someone posted on a hacked account with threats and demands that would begin in an hour if they did not receive payment. Delete store inventories, they have payment info, etc., those kind of threats. 

It reads like 3 messages in one with not quite perfect English phrasing so who knows if it's just an empty threat or if it's legit. Who knows how long the site will be down, but at least it means less work today for me!

So yes, unusual activity indeed.

Glad I got my Pirate Tribute a few days ago, but not stoked about the payment info being released. Still, Tribute > Payment Info -- the sacrifices I'm willing to make for LEGO are downright embarrassing.

image.png.9f139ee32132dc21041212123442fbc2.png

Edited by Captain_Obvious

2 hours ago, Captain_Obvious said:

Glad I got my Pirate Tribute a few days ago, but not stoked about the payment info being released. Still, Tribute > Payment Info -- the sacrifices I'm willing to make for LEGO are downright embarrassing.

image.png.9f139ee32132dc21041212123442fbc2.png

Did the seller ship it yet or they won’t be able to fulfill your order?

1 hour ago, Pseudoty said:

Did the seller ship it yet or they won’t be able to fulfill your order?

He was on it and shipped it out the same day w/tracking, Nov 1st. The conversion rate got messed up too, so he quickly refunded the difference to come out to $162. Huge shoutout to FAVRSKOV for one of the best international transactions I've had. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, ichiroll said:

random question, got paid for an order but Order Status drop-down won't update to Paid.  As a matter of fact, the only options on dropdown are:  Pending, Processing, Ready, Pending.  How do I get this to Paid, or more importantly, Shipped?

Thanks in advance.

Did you get paid offsite, for example the buyer sent payment directly to your paypal account? If that happens those are the only options that show up.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Bricklectic said:

Tax Free ordering possible on BL? Recommended?

If you mean B2B sales with a resale certificate, then no.   This is an often-requested seller feature, but hasn't been prioritized.   BL, now that Lego owns them, are being very conservative regarding taxes, and they aren't comfortable that they have anyway to validate a resale certificate to avoid taxes.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...