Bricklink/BrickOwl - Discussion, questions, & answers

Just now, MotorCityMuscle said:

i've tried twice to contact the seller. not sure why i'm not getting a response. but that's pretty much par for the course on Bricklink. it's a crapshoot to get a response.

Yeah, you never really know what kind of seller you are going to get.  Some pay more attention to their email than others do.  I guess it also depends on what kind of work they do, I would assume that some can't answer emails and check their store while working a job to pay the bills.

On 6/12/2020 at 4:28 PM, betsy805 said:

I'm on my final days of my reselling.  Just a heads up that all remaining parts are 70% off with a $10 minimum order.  Maybe there's something you need!  https://store.bricklink.com/betsy805&utm_content=globalnav#/shop

Wow, what a mess... almost 600 parts in 8 lots in 1 bag? Plus mixed used and new? You know you are catering to resellers when liquidating like this right?

• 2 weeks later...

needs some advice here folks, made a purchase from overseas from a seller with good feedback. fully expected it would take awhile to get to me, however, it's now going on two months and the seller is no longer responding to emails and the store is now closed "due to non-payment of fees." 

Safe to say i'm not getting this order and should submit a claim to PayPal? Is there anything else I should do within BrickLink? I see there is a "report a problem" CTA.

appreciate any insight. 

needs some advice here folks, made a purchase from overseas from a seller with good feedback. fully expected it would take awhile to get to me, however, it's now going on two months and the seller is no longer responding to emails and the store is now closed "due to non-payment of fees." 
Safe to say i'm not getting this order and should submit a claim to PayPal? Is there anything else I should do within BrickLink? I see there is a "report a problem" CTA.
appreciate any insight. 
File a "Non-Sending Seller" on Bricklink using the report a problem link. You will have to file a claim through PayPal to get your money back though.

1 minute ago, Shortbus311 said:
43 minutes ago, MotorCityMuscle said:
appreciate any insight. 

File a "Non-Sending Seller" on Bricklink using the report a problem link. You will have to file a claim through PayPal to get your money back though.

thanks. and what does this do? simply provides a dispute of some sort on Bricklink? and do you recommend any sort of cadence on response after doing so? Or just going right to PayPal simultaneously? 

thanks. and what does this do? simply provides a dispute of some sort on Bricklink? and do you recommend any sort of cadence on response after doing so? Or just going right to PayPal simultaneously? 
I would do both at the same time. Bricklink gives the seller like a week to respond after you file the claim on Bricklink. Bricklink won't help you get your money back or anything, it just puts a ding on the sellers account.

2 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:
4 minutes ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

I would do both at the same time. Bricklink gives the seller like a week to respond after you file the claim on Bricklink. Bricklink won't help you get your money back or anything, it just puts a ding on the sellers account.

appreciate your insight. what a bummer. 

1 minute ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

appreciate your insight. what a bummer. 

If you are going to order overseas during a pandemic you need to have patience.  I have orders from April that aren't delivered yet.  Do not rush to file a PayPal claim, you knew what you were doing when you placed the order.

• Like 1

Just now, Randyipp said:

If you are going to order overseas during a pandemic you need to have patience.  I have orders from April that aren't delivered yet.  Do not rush to file a PayPal claim, you knew what you were doing when you placed the order.

patience on shipping is one thing, but why is the seller's store closed down for not paying fees? that's not a bit fishy to you? while also not responding to emails?

1 minute ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

patience on shipping is one thing, but why is the seller's store closed down for not paying fees? that's not a bit fishy to you? while also not responding to emails?

It happens from time to time.  If you forget to pay by the deadline they close your store, then after you pay it could be a long time before BL gets to re-open your store, I have seen many posts on the forum about it.  Think about it from the sellers perspective, say they have a bunch of orders out there and due to shipping being insanely slow they are getting PayPal charge-backs, with no tracking they lose automatically.  PayPal isn't taking delays in shipping into account, they just side on the buyers side and will not look at anything else unless seller has some proof of shipment.  So you are sending out product and not only is that disappearing but so is the money you made.  Pretty crappy situation, they might be unsure of what to tell their buyers and are probably pretty flustered at the whole situation.  If you purchased from a reputable seller please just have a bit more patience, 2 months seems long but like I said even with tracking I have a huge range of shipping times for international orders.  I just added to a Forum post on BL about international shipping times, some information there that might help put you at a little bit more ease.

There is someone from Italy (I believe) that recently has had 30 PayPal cases opened on them, and they are a legitimate seller!

International shipping is a mess. I sold an expensive batch of Starwars tiles to the Netherlands at the end of Feb which according to USPS tracking is still sitting in Chicago (since March 1st). Not a peep from the buyer though. I have a shipment to the UK that finally, after 2 months was received by the buyer (we were in contact via BL messages) but still shows as en route. And another shipment to the Netherlands just got delivered (and marked as delivered) after being stuck in Chicago for 6 weeks. It’s a crapshoot.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Phil B said:

International shipping is a mess. I sold an expensive batch of Starwars tiles to the Netherlands at the end of Feb which according to USPS tracking is still sitting in Chicago (since March 1st). Not a peep from the buyer though. I have a shipment to the UK that finally, after 2 months was received by the buyer (we were in contact via BL messages) but still shows as en route. And another shipment to the Netherlands just got delivered (and marked as delivered) after being stuck in Chicago for 6 weeks. It’s a crapshoot.

I had placed a couple of orders the end of Feb. (before everything shut down).  Both orders took 5-6 weeks to arrive.  I just placed two more orders from EU this past week and I'm expecting 1-2 mo for delivery.

48 minutes ago, stackables said:

I was just notified by a seller on ebay that apparently the comics I bought on March 15 are being shipped.  This is after he refunded me the full amount after a month of not being able to track the books down.  I suppose I have to find a way to pay for them now :)

I gotta ask. What comics?

1 minute ago, SLL said:

ask a dumb question,

need to cancel an order on BL due to inventory error. order cancelled on BL successfully, will paypal do the auto cancellation or I have to go to paypal manually issue the refund?

Thanks.

Not dumb, but for now PayPal refund must be done manually.  They are working on better integration, similar to how BO can refund for you.

On 6/27/2020 at 11:38 PM, Randyipp said:

Reminds me I need to pay my fees, been trying to put it off till the last minute, biggest bill I have had in a while.

Well, the buyer responded and said that PayPal shut down his account because he is not 18 years old so therefore he cannot pay his Bricklink fees. Not sure how much of that is true, but also don’t think you should be starting a store if you’re not 18. Still claims he shipped the set and provided an image of the shipping label. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

Well, the buyer responded and said that PayPal shut down his account because he is not 18 years old so therefore he cannot pay his Bricklink fees. Not sure how much of that is true, but also don’t think you should be starting a store if you’re not 18. Still claims he shipped the set and provided an image of the shipping label. 

It’s actually illegal. At least here in the US you can’t enter into a contract until you are 18. Nor can you open a bank account. It’s something BOTH sites need to tighten up on. How he managed to open a PayPal account is questionable 

29 minutes ago, Al Legorical said:

It’s actually illegal. At least here in the US you can’t enter into a contract until you are 18. Nor can you open a bank account. It’s something BOTH sites need to tighten up on. How he managed to open a PayPal account is questionable 

Agreed, you can not be a seller or buyer on Bricklink unless you are 18+.  What a mess!

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any tips on where to go debug the following: BrickSync is reporting ~220 lots less than BrickLink shows under "My Inventory" when I do a verify or a deep sync. I'm curious as to what those 220 lots are, and how to get BrickSync to see all lots again.

I'm hoping there is a better solution to this than to go and inspect the source code - perhaps a log or a setting that will tell me why BrickSync is skipping some of my lots? 

And before anyone mentions it: yes, I have _another_ 110 items in 9 lots that are not mapped to BrickOwl, so my BO inventory is even smaller. I know why this is (these lots need to be added to the BO catalog) but I am looking for reasons why BS wouldn't see some of my BL lots, actually, quite a lot of them.

EDIT: Figured it out, I think! I have "retain in stockroom" turned on for (almost) all my lots. 219 lots in total are currently sold out but in "retain" status. Those are showing in the summary on BrickLink, but are invisible to BrickSync. Phew. Hopefully this is useful for someone else too, learned something new!

Edited by Phil B
  • Thanks 1