60064 - Arctic Supply Plane

ufema

It would appear that this set has been very unequally distributed outside Lego shop so in some countries it has rarity value whereas in others it can still be had. I guees we need to wait a few months to see how things pan out - I always think that sets which are so rare also have the disadvantage of flying under collectors

If owned, I would also get out w/in months since City is refreshed so often. In the last year, we have had 3 city explorer type sub-themes. Coast Guard, Arctic and the up-coming underwater sets. Demand will decrease sooner or later.

2x retail if awesome for a City set that can still be had in various parts of the world.

• Like 3

If owned, I would also get out w/in months since City is refreshed so often. In the last year, we have had 3 city explorer type sub-themes. Coast Guard, Arctic and the up-coming underwater sets. Demand will decrease sooner or later.

2x retail if awesome for a City set that can still be had in various parts of the world.

I personally love the Arctic theme - it's one of my all-time favorites, but I am invested lightly and I'm selling all but one of my supply planes for longer hold (i.e. later this year) not including the one for our family. After purchase taxes, fees and shipping (which I charge for), I'm making pretty good money for a 1-2 month hold. I found a stash at one local TRU after they'd been reporting as being scarce.

With the rehashes and the new "explorer" sets which seem to be really popular, I think it will be AFOLs buying these Arctic sets and not kids asking mommy and daddy for them to complete the set. Completing the set of 7 "box sets" is pretty expensive at MSRP - hits around $450 CDN to buy them all. Add the polybag and the accessory set already at secondary market prices and you're well over $500 after taxes up here. That's not chump change!

I love this site because I didn't pay retail for any of them except the polybag and cargo plane (and I don't have the accessory set) so it was a lot more affordable at an average discount of approx 25% off.

You'll have a good 5 year+ refresh window before another City Arctic theme comes around...probably longer.  This theme is really solid and the sets are very nice (nice colors, fun builds, very unique vehicles/playsets).  

I think all of the Arctic line will be pretty solid investments post EOL.

Only select sets are sticking around my retailers including the few of the Arctic Base Camp already stuck into the clearance aisle of Walmart but still retail of course. I'm going to try and see if I can manage getting the helicopter on sale because all I want are the adorable huskies.

Only select sets are sticking around my retailers including the few of the Arctic Base Camp already stuck into the clearance aisle of Walmart but still retail of course. I'm going to try and see if I can manage getting the helicopter on sale because all I want are the adorable huskies.

My wife's favorite part of the series is the Huskies.

Why do you think this City sub theme is done? Will it be done before a full year of availability (Aug 2015)?

TRU and Walmart up here don't seem to be restocking any the arctic theme except for TRU and the ice breaker. Saw them put out a new stack of 10 Friday. Only a few lingering helicarrier, snowmobile and the small ice truck sets left. They were everywhere at Xmas.

I'm on the fence.. They were popular but without any new stock coming during the coldest part of our winter, I have my doubts it'll be back. Plenty of city sets never last more the 12 months on retail shelves.

TRU and Walmart up here don't seem to be restocking any the arctic theme except for TRU and the ice breaker. Saw them put out a new stack of 10 Friday. Only a few lingering helicarrier, snowmobile and the small ice truck sets left. They were everywhere at Xmas.

I'm on the fence.. They were popular but without any new stock coming during the coldest part of our winter, I have my doubts it'll be back. Plenty of city sets never last more the 12 months on retail shelves.

Was contemplating grabbing 1 ice breaker to pair with a Supply plane down the road. Just on the fence a bit

Was contemplating grabbing 1 ice breaker to pair with a Supply plane down the road. Just on the fence a bit

I'm a lot less bullish on the ice breaker. I think the best set at retail is the mobile outpost, then the base camp, then the ice breaker.

By best I just mean what you get vs playability vs likelihood kids are getting these as gifts. The helicarrier is a pretty crappy set IMO and the other two smalls are easy buys right now for parents and there is still lots of them on shelves.

To me this means the base camp and ice breaker could be winners but the icebreaker has to reach pretty big numbers in Canada to turn a healthy profit. And with the new underwater explorer and ultra agent ships looking good I'm just not sure. If you get the base camp at 20% off, you'll be ok at $150+shipping (CDN) which isn't unreasonable.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is not the good topic but I don't think my question does worth its own.

Do you think guys the Arctic City theme will last for a while (let's say up to 2016) or could it stop this summer ?

I can have a deal on arctic base (about 36% off) so I wonder if it could be a good choice if the theme stops this summer (to resell on Xmas 2015).

I'm sure it's a good investment but I would like to invest elsewhere if it'll stay available for one more year.

Thanks

Edited by biniou

It came out in August 2014. I'm thinking you'll find these sets in dwindling numbers until Jan/Feb 2016.

These specific City subthemes seem to last longer than the fire, police and other "normal" City sets so I'm thinking they'll try to get one more winter out of them.

• Like 1

It came out in August 2014. I'm thinking you'll find these sets in dwindling numbers until Jan/Feb 2016.

These specific City subthemes seem to last longer than the fire, police and other "normal" City sets so I'm thinking they'll try to get one more winter out of them.

So bring back the plane ! :)

So bring back the plane ! :)

I know, I only have one left (besides mine). I dumped them all for 1.9x MSRP.

I love the theme, but I just don't have room in my investment plans for them. I think these will be a 2-3 year hold post retirement to truly see 2x or more returns against MSRP, but they'll reach it.

I have been looking for one of these to complete my arctic sets and it popped up on SAH as Call to Check. So I did, but they said they didn't have any. Did anyone else see this or have any luck getting one? Just trying to figure out if it was really there at all. 

(MODS - I posted something similar in Daily Deals and I should have posted it here - sorry. Please delete/move the other if needs be)

• Like 1