60064 - Arctic Supply Plane

ufema

• 3 weeks later...

Gang I'm curious for any insight speculation on this sets retirement.

There is a lot of reasons Lego can get rid of a set but really 4 months available in the USA and they retire it?

How can they even establish its a poor seller in that short of timeline.

Did no one buy it anywhere?  Otherwise I would think they would have to give it a little more time to even be able to make a sound decision.

Maybe not?

Oh to be a fly on the wall on the retirement decision on the Lego 60064 Arctic Supply Plane.  Was it one of the above issues or even something Legal.  I know sets can get retired early.  But 4 months after market availability.  That's the shortest availability I have seen in recent memory.  I'm going to hold on a few I found.

If this set ever appeared in Canada, it was even shorter than 4 months. I've looked and looked for my Arctic collection and never found it... I admit to not looking immediately when they came out. but shortly thereafter nothing. I like it a lot more than the heli crane thingy.

I have two hypotheses:

1. One or more of the parts in the set unexpectedly became problematic to manufacture and it just wasn't worth continuing the set's life. Anyone who can figure out the details on this one without insider info gets my respect fo sho.

2. More experimentation with resellers. Yes, that's a joke... though not completely impossible, you know!

I have two hypotheses:

1. One or more of the parts in the set unexpectedly became problematic to manufacture and it just wasn't worth continuing the set's life. Anyone who can figure out the details on this one without insider info gets my respect fo sho.

2. More experimentation with resellers. Yes, that's a joke... though not completely impossible, you know!

Great thoughts.  I think probably #1 is the answer if it is not ...

I guess there would not be anything about the plane that makes it look like a custom copyrighted manufactured plane and they got a cease and desist on it?

I do not know enough about planes to comment.

Great thoughts.  I think probably #1 is the answer if it is not ...

I guess there would not be anything about the plane that makes it look like a custom copyrighted manufactured plane and they got a cease and desist on it?

I do not know enough about planes to comment.

There are a few parts that don't appear in any other sets in the same color... and 60064 is the newest set to have them.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=46103&in=S

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=32083&in=S

And at least one oddball colored ones that appear in lots of sets, but never in light bluish grey:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=60603&in=S

The supply plane looks to be based off the Fairchild C-119 which is a military plane, so maybe that plays into it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_C-119_Flying_Boxcar

post-8090-0-61127800-1423458738.jpg

Whereas the sky crane was certainly used by the military but it was also a civilian helicopter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_S-64_Skycrane

Sikorsky S-64 with skis.

post-8090-0-84247400-1423458743.jpg

I'm going with a parts problem. :)

• Like 4

This is just syrup for the flies (investors and collectors). So the theme gets more attention. Just my theory. And yes... I love conspiracy theories.

I own two and can get some more for 40 euro each. What do you guys think? To buy or not to buy?

Edited by Ciglione

This is just syrup for the flies (investors and collectors). So the theme gets more attention. Just my theory. And yes... I love conspiracy theories.

I own two and can get some more for 40 euro each. What do you guys think? To buy or not to buy?

Dunno about the EU market but these are $100+ right now on ebay in the States.  I'd be buying!  This is the zombies of the arctic line!  Heh

This is just syrup for the flies (investors and collectors).

Ah dang, now I'm thinking of pancakes. :nyam:

Just my theory. And yes... I love conspiracy theories.

Who doesn't? They're too much fun. :biggrin:

Pilot minifig is also a unique part.

It will be interesting to see if this one does attain "collector status" - it may depend on how well the Arctic theme does.

He is unique to the Artic theme at least considering there are three pilots to the line only with different heads.

Well I got lucky and landed one of these from TRU today.  Sell or hold, that is the question.  Will this continue to blow up you think or is it going to stall?  (Yes, I love puns).

Nice! I found 2 locally a couple weeks ago.  I stopped at a couple more TRU while out of town this week, but no luck.

Well after exhausting my search, who what's to sell or trade me one? Looking to find one for my boy thanks guys and gals, PM me.

Hopefully someone down south can help you out. I would but shipping and the higher MSRP might make it unrealistic ... But I've got a few.

I sold one on eBay for $100 US plus shipping yesterday.

• Like 1