Lego North American President Interview CNBC

holleman67

LEGO is expensive and has always been so. The president should have stated that premium products require premium prices.

I think emphasizing the value of the toy was a smart posture. To some, a "premium" product connotes exclusivity, and if TLG is peddling exclusivity they risk turning some consumers off. My guess is that TLG wants to appeal to all toy consumers, not only those that value and will pay for a premium product.

I'm not shocked. Think about it: any time the media has ever covered any story on something any of us are familiar with, when have they EVER got it right?

I gave up on the fantasy of intelligent journalism the very first story they "covered" on something I had some expertise in back when I was 19. They're hopeless.

• Like 3

It was a bit of a "fluff piece" as Ed stated with the only good things being Mr. Laursen's responses. The "why so expensive?" question is an old (tiresome) one and the follow-up by the other guy going on "the large boxes, you can't get for under a hundred bucks" felt the same. I agree $100 is a hefty amount to spend on a single item but let us compare this LEGO Police Station with the current Playmobil version. While both are close in retail, the LEGO playset can be taken down to be used towards creating other things whereas the Playmobil toy can only ever just be a police station although the detail and play features are quite good for a child. I understand the scales are quite different and please do not mistake my intention of comparison as some sort of derogatory comment to the Playmobil brand. I loved Playmobil growing up and my fondness continues to this day. I was simply trying to illustrate a point between relative costs.

One last thing of irritation with the interview was the last bit at the end. How come nobody ever seems to recall at the least Belville when it comes to LEGO's attempts at designing sets specific to young girls? Not knowing Paradisa is one thing considering it was a very tiny blip in the first place but come on people. Friends is not LEGO's first attempt at making a line unique to little ladies. The first truly successful one, I would believe so from the numbers.

In any case, this interview was nothing more than what we have come to expect really. No hard questions but instead plenty of 'the usual'. Sure LEGO is pricy overall but when compared to the price of a couple movies at $20-$30 each, that new TV series retailing for $40, or maybe the urge to splurge on some Ben & Jerry's at around $4 a pint. A person can spend a lot on their frivolities without thinking twice but you only live once so 'pick your poison' I suppose.