Lego North American President Interview CNBC

holleman67

I didn't like any of their tone with him at all.  Very interrogating and they haven't done much if any research on lego as a company, especially that blonde at the end with her "bone to pick" about lego's aimed for girls.  They've tried in the past and found girls didn't play with lego, that's just the way it was.  That doesn't mean sisters didn't mess with it, but girls weren't asking for it and parents weren't buying for girls.  plain and simple.  Things have changed and friends sets have a market now.  Well done by Lego and one of many reasons they are the best brand in the world.  Doesn't mean Lego just outright neglected girls.  No reason they still couldn't play with "building" blocks.  Just cause they weren't pink or have mini figure dolls? C'mon.  It's so one sided to say something like that.

Lego is expensive, that is true.  Perhaps he could have agreed, but let's be honest, he's not going too but for them to give him a hard time basically the whole interview, not sure what was gained by it.  

Again, didn't like the interview.  Lego has done a lot right and considering they were just about bankrupt in the late 90's shows how far they've come. 

Edited by DenJ91

Wow two of them were really rude.  I used to watch Squawk Box all the time and they always seemed professional.

The two substitute ones that were on the man yelling about the cost and the women upset about girls are not regular hosts.

They should apologize.  I am embarrassed for CNBC...

Andrew Ross Sorkin the regular host that was present seemed professional to me in asking the question but commenting on margins at the same time.

The Lego North American President was first class putting up with these people.

That video was edited?  I wish I could have seen the whole thing. I agree... a lot of inane questions, but maybe they didn't really prepare because it's not a publicly traded company.  That couldn't ask their usual questions about expected sales growth, profit forecasts, cash vs. debt, etc.  Still they could have done their viewers a better service by asking more questions that could be useful to investors, i.e. - How much has your brand contributed to ToysRUs (or Walmart) sales growth over the past few years? ... Are there other publicly traded retailers that you may partner with soon?, Are retailers increasing their Lego buys, decreasing, or staying about the same?  etc?

btw, thinking about it, the blonde said "I loved playing with lego".  so with that said, is she not disproving her theory that lego was not made for girls?? it's a building brick.  is she not making her and the female race sound stupid by saying she couldn't fully enjoy them because they weren't fun colors or have girly aspects? that's like saying a woman can't be an architect. 

that whole interview irritated me.  

Edited by DenJ91
  • Like 1

Agreed that the whole price discussion was an exercise in frustration.  Lego doesn't set the prices, the market does.  If the prices were too high people wouldn't buy the sets, and Lego would have to reduce prices to stay profitable.  But that's not happening, the company's sales are doing quite well.  Every one of those interviewers probably had a $500 iPhone in their pocket because of the Apple brand.  Lego's brand helps drive premium pricing.  When you buy Lego you know you are getting quality.  There's more to the price than just the cost of the plastic.

btw, thinking about it, the blonde said "I loved playing with legos".  so with that said, is she not disproving her theory that lego was not made for girls?? it's a building brick.  is she not making her and the female race sound stupid by saying she couldn't fully enjoy them because they weren't fun colors or have girly aspects? that's like saying a woman can't be an architect. 

that whole interview irritated me.  

Fixed. :D

Perhaps they were squawking all of these meaningless things to make the CEO look good ? The CEO came out like a level headed leader who was well informed on various products produced by his company.  This is not necessarily true with every CEO as they are usually the "big picture" person.  That was about the only good thing I can say about the interview ;)

Edited by Darth_Raichu

Fixed. :D

Perhaps they were squawking all of these meaningless things to make the CEO look good ? The CEO came out like a level headed leader who was well informed on various products produced by his company.  This is not necessarily true with every CEO as they are usually the "big picture" person.  That was about the only good thing I can say about the interview ;)

haha yeah, I knew she said "legos" but I couldn't bring myself to type it.  

However I don't think it made him look good at all.  A lot of uniformed parents could have been watching that and agreed with the idiotic questions and statements.  

Lego is not directed at any gender.  Literally everyone and anyone can play or collect this brand and they do.  Sure, maybe boys/men do indeed enjoy Lego more but that means nothing. Could be said about a million other companies or products. Starting out as a wooden toy, they had lots of items that could easily have been for either a boy or girl.  These people just didn't do their Lego history research and came off ignorant. 

• Like 1

None of these people did their homework.  It would take 5 minutes on a tablet to find some good questions for this man.  Squawk Box is about investing...right?  They didn't ask one question about investing in LEGO or LEGO's profits or possibly going public.  A fluff piece.  

• Like 2

None of these people did their homework.  It would take 5 minutes on a tablet to find some good questions for this man.  Squawk Box is about investing...right?  They didn't ask one question about investing in LEGO or LEGO's profits or possibly going public.  A fluff piece.  

Shameful stuff. 

Stock isn't listed, so let's ask garbage questions? 

CEO NA accepted this interview why? 

One thing is true: Lego is seen as an expensive toy. But then you wonder why parents and grandparents guide their kids to it? Maybe because of the educational aspect? And the quality? Etc. 

What a miss interview. Bravo to CEO NA to keep his smile and laugh about the situation. 

The expensive issue always bothers me. Most all recreational spending seems to have become more expensive because this generation spends more on it than the previous generations! If the market buys all the $30 widgets the next round of widgets will likely cost $31 and there will be a better $40 and $50 widget offered.

Not all Lego is expensive when compared to toys in other aisles. Sure the big sets are, but the little sets and especially small brick sets aren't too bad. I think it's just that we buy so much more.

I'll bet my entire lego collection as a kid wouldn't have filled a creative tower box. Not even close.

I think many are getting a little too hung up on the "expensive" thing.  If anything, their comments help improve Lego's image as a valuable toy.  When a TV interviewer asks a dumb question like, "Why are Gucci bags so expensive?" Does that really hurt the Gucci brand? Does it make Gucci buyers think about shopping for something cheaper? I doubt it. Probably has a more significant effect in the opposite direction, increasing consumers' perception of value. It's all good for Lego investors.

Waooooooh...everyone relax.  I watch this channel almost every day all day and that was not any sort of interrogation.   This is actually their morning show, which means it's much more light hearted than your traditional "news" show.  A lot of opinions like any other talk show....this talk show is just geared towards investing/good companies/economics.    

Ask anyone who is not a fan like we are about LEGo and one of the first things they will say is "Expensive"...

Want to see a grilling...watch Rick Santelli interview someone...it's awesome...he eats liberals....

Y'all are sensitive today!   :)

And FYI...what we consider to be "LEGO Common sense" about things like what they are investing in and where they are growing and what digital mediums lego may have...is not common sense to the layman.  So while the interview was superficial to most of us, it was probably pretty informative to the rest of the bunch.  

Edited by pickleboy

Waooooooh...everyone relax. I watch this channel almost every day all day and that was not any sort of interrogation. This is actually their morning show, which means it's much more light hearted than your traditional "news" show. A lot of opinions like any other talk show....this talk show is just geared towards investing/good companies/economics.

Ask anyone who is not a fan like we are about LEGo and one of the first things they will say is "Expensive"...

Want to see a grilling...watch Rick Santelli interview someone...it's awesome...he eats liberals....

Y'all are sensitive today! :)

I was hoping for some sustenance in the conversations, maybe to learn some new things about the company. Feels like it was just filler.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app