What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

Installed the Ipad App and built several "resorts" with my daughter using the Lego Friends Fusion resort builder she got for Christmas. Awesome concept, my daughter wanted to play the game and build for hours.

You're the first person I know that has it.  How old is your daughter?  Mine is almost 7.  I like the concept, but was worried about the execution.  I don't have a problem with her using it and being creative.

• Like 1

You're the first person I know that has it.  How old is your daughter?  Mine is almost 7.  I like the concept, but was worried about the execution.  I don't have a problem with her using it and being creative.

My daughter is about 7 1/2 and has been into the friends line big time for the last year or so. 

The fusion thing is pretty cool. The way it works in a nutshell is they download an app which is essentially a game that runs on an engine very similar to lego batman or star wars or whatever. The characters in-game will ask your avatar to basically build them a city and carry out various tasks and activities within the city. Your daughter will then perform simple builds with real lego pieces of just the front of the building. You take a picture of the build with your Ipad and it scans the building design into the game. Then the in-game functions take over, and your daughter basically gets to be an interior designer and decide what kind of furniture, cabinets, counters, plants, etc she wants inside the buildings. After that, your in-game avatar can run around and do stuff in the buildings, or keep building a larger city.

If I had one gripe, it is that it can sometimes be tricky to get the Ipad camera centered correctly on the build in order to take a picture of it that can be used accurately in game. My daughter needed my help to take the pictures well, I don't know if that's because of the app or because I have an older Ipad2 and the camera potentially isn't up to snuff. Not really sure.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the review Josh.  My daughter is about to turn 7, and we've got an iPad 2 as well, that's probably on it's last legs.  But still functioning.

That sounds excellent, and is right up her alley.  I think I may end up getting that for her for her birthday next month. Sounds like she'll have a blast with it.

• Like 1

My daughter is about 7 1/2 and has been into the friends line big time for the last year or so. 

The fusion thing is pretty cool. The way it works in a nutshell is they download an app which is essentially a game that runs on an engine very similar to lego batman or star wars or whatever. The characters in-game will ask your avatar to basically build them a city and carry out various tasks and activities within the city. Your daughter will then perform simple builds with real lego pieces of just the front of the building. You take a picture of the build with your Ipad and it scans the building design into the game. Then the in-game functions take over, and your daughter basically gets to be an interior designer and decide what kind of furniture, cabinets, counters, plants, etc she wants inside the buildings. After that, your in-game avatar can run around and do stuff in the buildings, or keep building a larger city.

If I had one gripe, it is that it can sometimes be tricky to get the Ipad camera centered correctly on the build in order to take a picture of it that can be used accurately in game. My daughter needed my help to take the pictures well, I don't know if that's because of the app or because I have an older Ipad2 and the camera potentially isn't up to snuff. Not really sure.

Where have you been dude?

Installed the Ipad App and built several "resorts" with my daughter using the Lego Friends Fusion resort builder she got for Christmas. Awesome concept, my daughter wanted to play the game and build for hours.

My 5 year old daughter and 8 year old son love the fusion sets, they have the Friens one and the Town Master. They both love them. For the town one, make sure to build a police station quickly because the bad guys will keep stealing stuff until you do.

• Like 1

My daughter built Elsa's Castle.  Only occasionally asked for some help.  I like the build.  I think it's fine. Although part of me wants to grab a second set, and create a much bigger castle.  Either something that opens up, or something that's twice as wide (or both).

Myself, I built The Phantom.  I'm a big Star Wars Rebels fan, and I really dug this build.  It was fun to put together.  Now I'm going to have to crack up The Ghost and put that together, just to make the complete ship.

A little project I've been working on.  I have a second Viper almost complete.  I have a couple minor tweaks to make to this one, but I'll get all the parts to complete both when I start ordering the parts for my classic Cylon Raider I'm building to go with them.

What instructions did you use? I found a couple that looked good, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. How was the build?

What instructions did you use? I found a couple that looked good, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. How was the build?

I used the BrickStruct instructions you can find here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-Battlestar-Galactica-Classic-Viper-mark-1-Instructions-Only-/191459939109?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item2c93e6d325

I can't really share, for obvious reasons.  I'll be going back after the Raider instructions soon.  The build is solid and fun, but I'm going to change a couple minor things.

I just came out of my dark ages last year and have slowly been working my way up to a larger build.  I finally started to build my Grand Emporium I bought months ago, even though it was tough to break the seal now that I know how much a sealed set can appreciate in value.  I'm pacing myself, so it's taken me three nights to finish the first floor and I'm very happy that I finally started this project! 

I've got the Town Hall ready to go next and plan on adding the Pet Shop soon enough.  I just wish I got back into Lego in time to get the Fire Brigade before it went EOL.  At least I know there are plenty of modular sets I can work on before I get caught up.  

While I'm not an investor, I appreciate this site for helping me find good deals on sets I want, even if it's only for a free polybag with the exclusives.  

• Like 1

I built the DDC because yesterday someone in the DD thread wanted to know if it floats. Well it does float but not upright like in the movie, see pics. Note: no Minifigs were hurt during this test. That being said deffinetly best build of 2015 so far. You get a lot for your money including the cop car which was a nice mini build, also not pictured is unikitty she was sold on eBay to cover the cost of the set.

Now back to the Slave1

post-31269-0-07803600-1420143766_thumb.j

post-31269-0-05729800-1420143790_thumb.j

• Like 3

I built 41036 Friends Jungle Bridge Rescue with my daughter last night, it was another of her Christmas presents. I was impressed by the sturdiness and weight of the jeep, and though the helicopter was designed as rugged, it still withstood an intermediate level of play.