Target Canada Closing all Stores

Sandwraith

Woah, that would explain the lack of stock and clearances going on... If you follow CBC on twitter they are now confirming that Target is pulling it's Canadian Operations.

http://pressroom.target.com/news/target-corporation-announces-plans-to-discontinue-canadian-operations#sf35546962

Time to watch for everything going on clearance! On the downside though this is pretty sad :(

It's unfortunate, but really - no on-line retail presence what were they thinking?

this.  without an online shopping platform for canada, the whole operation felt "temporary"

*edit* also, sears is next.  less than 12 months I give them.

Edited by banshee3

this.  without an online shopping platform for canada, the whole operation felt "temporary"

If they limp through the next holiday season I'd be surprised. Sears doesn't seem to be able to adapt or change at all.

No idea how Sears is still around to be honest.

Lack of online presence was certainly silly, but i figured they were just trying to get their bearings before starting that up. Especially considering Walmart Canada gives free shipping at $25...

It wasn't too long ago that i was a Manager at Blockbuster here in Canada when they closed up shop (well wave 1 of the closes). Even though any smart person knew the B&M video rental business was going under, it's still a terrible feeling losing your job. Especially when Corporate told us time and time again we were fine and no jobs were going to be lost.

I certainly feel for these employees and appreciate Target covering 16 weeks of pay for them. I was not shown the same courtesy.

Sears on life-support, The Bay always in trouble, Canadian Tire "realigning & remarketing " itself as sporting goods destination... Walmart seems to have won the monopoly game in record time for department stores around here!

Target was at best a cleaner Zellers (who seemed to never once mopped their floors or washed their windows) - to bad they just never had any stock on the shelves to draw in customers.  They did spend an awful lot of cash redeveloping & rebuilding real estate spaces - sad it only lasted a year or so... the newest HUGE store in the west end never even had their grand opening.

No idea how Sears is still around to be honest.

Lack of online presence was certainly silly, but i figured they were just trying to get their bearings before starting that up. Especially considering Walmart Canada gives free shipping at $25...

It wasn't too long ago that i was a Manager at Blockbuster here in Canada when they closed up shop (well wave 1 of the closes). Even though any smart person knew the B&M video rental business was going under, it's still a terrible feeling losing your job. Especially when Corporate told us time and time again we were fine and no jobs were going to be lost.

I certainly feel for these employees and appreciate Target covering 16 weeks of pay for them. I was not shown the same courtesy.

Sears is still around because the spun off their credit card devision and got a large infusion off cash, which they have just about used up. That sucks about Target, I worked there for over 20 years, I was shocked at how colossally they screwed up their entrance into The Canadian market. It is good to see that they are at least showing an effort to stand by their employees with such a long severance.

As far as blockbuster goes, I guess I'm old fashioned, but I miss them. Can't stand RedBox and while Netflix is great they don't stream much that I care to watch and I hate waiting for the mailed DVDs.

Sears downright sucks. Everybody knows not to shop there unless they're having a sale.

I hope they don't disappear as I do buy tools and appliances from them. They have decent after sales service when you need it... but check out their one-day 50% off sale http://www.sears.ca/catalog/one-day-sale-all-b/4294553689?intid=HP_janwk12014_Marquee_ODS if you want to see the crap being offered.

We like Target, but agree with all of the above... Poor selection of products and prices that aren't any better than Stupidstore and Walmart. Nobody had a reason to switch so they didn't. It's too bad their flagship store here is beautiful with street level parkade and store above it. Must have cost a mint.... and I don't know who is going to move into that space as the other big retailers are already in the immediate area.

I find it interesting that where I live, commute and work there are many walmarts within close proximity.  I have only set foot into one Target store in the GTA.  They are just not convieniently placed for me.  I would argue, they are not strategically placed.  You take over a crap store which have crappy locations, this is the end result.  I am sure no online presence and other factors played into it, but very few people I know ever shopped there or even knew where they were located.

This is no surprise to me at all.

Edited by lego rules

I was surprised by this news. I just figured Target was as big in Canada as it is in the US.

If they were the same beast, operated the same as in the US they would have been huge in Canada... they hype flying around a year before the changeover had the market interest all but wrapped up & in their pocket - but the lack of product & prices worse than pretty much anyplace else, left Canadians with a real bad opinion of them right out of the gate - the disappointment was too over whelming & few folks seemed willing to forgive them & simply went back to Walmart & Tiger  (they at least should have been able to kill off the Real Canadian StupidStore while they were here) 

As far as blockbuster goes, I guess I'm old fashioned, but I miss them. Can't stand RedBox and while Netflix is great they don't stream much that I care to watch and I hate waiting for the mailed DVDs.

Oh i am certainly with you on this one.

Especially up here in Canada where our Netflix isn't nearly as good as the US one. And i don't even know where my nearest RedBox is. When we were closing almost every customer said this to us.

It is old fashioned, but i feel like it worked well for many.

Guest ph4tb0i

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN CUSTOMERS CAN'T GET THEIR POPCORN/ICEE IN CANADIAN STORES! /s

Will definitely be missed. Now that a liquidation company is brought in we can probably start saying good bye to those 70-90% off deals. I'm just surprised that they made the announcement so soon. Feels like they had this all planned out before Christmas and wanted to get rid of as much crap as possible during the christmas season before clearing out the rest.

Oh i am certainly with you on this one.

Especially up here in Canada where our Netflix isn't nearly as good as the US one. And i don't even know where my nearest RedBox is. When we were closing almost every customer said this to us.

It is old fashioned, but i feel like it worked well for many.

unblock-us or similar vpn services ;-)

• Like 1

It`s sad, but I`m not surprised. They really screwed up a whole whack of things, obvious, big things. No online store. No low prices, virtually the same as everywhere else or even more expensive, with perhaps a few exceptions. Red Card gives you a slight discount, but not enough to matter in most cases. Worst of all is there is nothing in the stores, I`ve easily visited 15-20 locations across the country, the stores feel like there is nothing in them. 

Tons of jobs are going to be lost, billions of dollars in losses. I don`t understand the logic in opening 100+ stores this quickly either, sure it enforces the brand, but when your locations have nothing to back up that brand, the result is what we see now. Oh well, keep your eyes out for clearance deals folks!