LEGO using smaller boxes - What do you think?

I was taking apart, bagging and storing some Lego sets recently and noticed that most Lego sets only take up HALF the actual space in the original box. Now, I know it's all about retail visibility and placement on the shelves...BUT... Don't you think Lego could: - reduce packaging size of boxes (help reduce paper waste)! Imagine how many millions of sets of Lego make each year. And the paper usage reduced if all boxes were HALVED in size. In doing so, it makes it easier for collectors to store their boxes as well. We can take more boxes on shelves. The boxes, having less air inside will also be less prone to being dished or flattened. Just saying...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have my vote!!! That being said I think you stated the reason why they do what they do..........retail visibility and placement on shelves. I doubt this would ever happen but you never know. Maybe we should start a petition on https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/ The petition for the US to build a Death Star got enough signatures that the Whitehouse issued an official respose, so I guess anything is possible.

I think he meant reduce the size so that there is no room in the box at all.......

Yep, that could and should happen.

I do think that some 2012 box sizes have been reduced. Something like the DC Superheroes Dynamic Duo Funhouse seems like it's more efficiently packed.

But yes, box sizes could be reduced further.

While there is less viability for Lego sets on the shelves, smaller boxes also mean that retailers could stock more types of sets.

These are some great thoughts. I have often noticed too that the boxes seem a little too big for what is necessary. In a perfect world, LEGO would realize that what you are saying is true, and make some changes as a result. But off the top of my head, here is the reason I think of for why they do it the way they do: LEGO is a business, and needs to save costs wherever possible. If you notice, they reuse the same half a dozen box sizes over and over. If a set is in a certain piece count range, it gets the 23" x 19" x 4" box, for example. They probably buy boxes in bulk, and don't want to switch things up every time they create a new set. They are keeping it simple by doing it the way they do. Simple, but inefficient. But I totally agree with your thoughts. I would love to seem them take your suggestions.

I don't see how reducing the size of a box will save the Earth. You labeled this thread with a sensationalist title. I know you will say that more boxes will fit on pallets and less containers will be needed on container ships. Less fuel will be used in all cases including the trucks. I think you overestimate how much you think you can do in order to "save" things. The best option is to buy nothing if you want to get on the hipster bandwagon about "saving the planet"--this includes any transaction that involves money. For every person thinking they are "saving the planet" by buying a product laden in buzzwords about "Earth-friendliness", there's larger culprits that mitigate your attempts. The most extreme way to "save the planet" is to simply not exist.

I don't see how reducing the size of a box will save the Earth. You labeled this thread with a sensationalist title. I know you will say that more boxes will fit on pallets and less containers will be needed on container ships. Less fuel will be used in all cases including the trucks.

I think you overestimate how much you think you can do in order to "save" things. The best option is to buy nothing if you want to get on the hipster bandwagon about "saving the planet"--this includes any transaction that involves money.

For every person thinking they are "saving the planet" by buying a product laden in buzzwords about "Earth-friendliness", there's larger culprits that mitigate your attempts. The most extreme way to "save the planet" is to simply not exist.

You seem to suggest that I'm being sensationalistic but you seem to be the one trolling. :-)

I'm not about buzzwords nor am I an environmentalist or Greenpeace member. I don't think it's a 'hipster' thing to be concerned about the world at large. Our knowledge of the world is expanding and changing all the time. Just because this issue has been brought up in recent years doesn't mean it's hip. I'd hardly think that Al Gore falls into the hip category. LOL.

I believe everyone can do their part in their own little way. Taking bottles to recycling instead of the landfill etc.

What's wrong to hope?

We are speaking about toys that exist to service the developed world with disposable $$$ to spend. I am not suggesting that people should CHANGE their lifestyle and STOP buying Lego or to STOP existing. That would be both unrealistic AND selfish. Your analogy means that I should suggest that Lego itself stops making plastic toys. If they did that, would we reduce carbon emissions, plastic waste etc? Heck yes. But that's not the point.

I think reducing packing is something that is achievable and will help, even in a small way.

We can only try.

As a point of reference, a Lego customer service email to me says that 8 Lego sets are sold a second. That means that there are 252,288,000 sets of Lego sold a YEAR! That is a heck of a lot of Lego!

I don't see how reducing the size of a box will save the Earth. You labeled this thread with a sensationalist title. I know you will say that more boxes will fit on pallets and less containers will be needed on container ships. Less fuel will be used in all cases including the trucks.

I think you overestimate how much you think you can do in order to "save" things. The best option is to buy nothing if you want to get on the hipster bandwagon about "saving the planet"--this includes any transaction that involves money.

For every person thinking they are "saving the planet" by buying a product laden in buzzwords about "Earth-friendliness", there's larger culprits that mitigate your attempts. The most extreme way to "save the planet" is to simply not exist.

Dude! That is a bit intense and perhaps a little unwarranted? I think reducing to the point of non-existence is a solid goal, but likely unpalatable for the vast majority of humanoids. So, if we aren't going to commit mass suicide, why not try to reduce in LEGO/other aspects of our lives. It certainly couldn't hurt, could it?

i think the star wars 7500* sets are in smaller boxes this year but i agree best thing for the planet is to sit very quietly in a cupboard for 50 years although you could always try working in conservation and make a positive rather than nothing/neutral contribution :)

Ematics: It is ok to have your own set of beliefs on things, but please tone down your harshness a bit. We are here to have fun and have good discussions, not to insult each other. Thank you.

Nothing wrong with decreasing the size of the boxes. A smaller size could be more efficient with holding and protecting the contents, as well as more sets can be shipped at any time. There are still some new ones where I open them and the few bags inside are 'floating' around, but it has gotten better. Nothing hippie about trying to be more conservative. I find it rather amusing. When the hippies tried getting everyone to be more economic, they were called 'radicals' (among other expletives). Now it's decades later and it's the 'in thing' for everyone to 'go green'. I just find the whole convenient trend of things amusing. Anyway, remember the BIG boxes for computer games and software in the 90's. Those suckers were HUGE! But now look at them. They are roughly about the size of a DVD or Blu-Ray case. Now they take up a lot less space than before and much more can be shipped in one delivery. I get the box is like an advert. They are meant to be big and flashy enough to get a person or kids attention. But there is a point where they don't need to be THAT big. So why not try and be a little more efficient by reducing their size? Instead, why not focus on making them sturdier and more resiliant? I get tired of 'weak' boxes that can't seem to handle their own weight.

They have reduced package sizes :)

I think it just occurred for this year's. It may be unnoticeable to most. I just happen to price and shelf Lego's and noticed it. The smaller box also brought the price down a dollar or two.

Many of the box sizes have been decreased this year. The easiest ones to see it on are the new battle packs. But they certainly have not lowered the suggested selling price because of it. Many of the newer sets have a higher price than the same set would have cost a year ago.

But they certainly have not lowered the suggested selling price because of it. Many of the newer sets have a higher price than the same set would have cost a year ago.

Yeah, a lot of this year's small sets have taken a hit in price I think. Some other ones are also more expensive than what they originally were thought to be. On the same token, a handful are also less pricy than I thought they would be. A kind of wierd tradeoff, huh?

Many of the box sizes have been decreased this year. The easiest ones to see it on are the new battle packs. But they certainly have not lowered the suggested selling price because of it. Many of the newer sets have a higher price than the same set would have cost a year ago.

I agree but don't. I think it all depends on where you shop:honesty vs greed. The local toy store I work in always has better prices than TRU. And the same if not better prices than Target and Walmart. However another local toy store has set the prices pretty high and even at 15% off it is barely retail.

It also depends on which sets one is comparing to. I first thought about the Cement Truck and Garbage Truck from the city collection. It is a Lego creation. Whereas the Star Wars Battle Packs you still have to pay for the licensing fee.

The business end also needs to be examined when comparing different prices. Although Lego has reduced the box size, purchasing them (for retail) has increased. For businesses, the gain from selling a Lego set is very slim compared to other toys. Businesses do need money inorder to survive.

However, I am no expert in this. I am just a college student studying medicine and this job helps me pay for college. My boss is passionate about his store and in the downtime I have questioned him about the business. By the way, I hope this makes sense haha

• 1 month later...

This thread may be a bit old, but this article I just found is very recent and relates to what the original poster was hinting at.

LEGO is planning on utilizing smaller boxes to reduce their carbon footprint.

Here's the article from LEGO.com.

It could be more fueled by cutting costs again as any business always strives to do, but this could be a good thing in the end.

Definately. I think too with smaller boxes that there will be less 'air' or room inside of them which could make them more structurally sound and not crush or cave in so easily as before.

I agree, smaller boxes should definitely help prevent damage during shipping, etc. This is a move in the right direction in my opinion. Big boxes that fold and crease, that only have medium size set contents inside are annoying. I'm glad they're planning to start using more compact boxes.

If any of you have seen the current trending size of the old Battle Packs (2012-past), they are all approximately the same size. The new ones are definitely smaller, so we have already seen some of this happening already! I highly doubt TLG is doing this because they are "Going Green". Probably doing it to cut costs. Good for collectors/investors because we can store more of the same set! :P