LEGO using smaller boxes - What do you think?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope it doesn't backfire with the sales. Sometimes people think lego sets are more expensive than most other toys because the boxes are larger, therefor the toy must be large. They don't always look at the piece count. Now they'll see similar prices and smaller boxes and think 'why so much?'. Anyway, just a theory, but I hope that doesn't happen.

I hope it doesn't backfire with the sales. Sometimes people think lego sets are more expensive than most other toys because the boxes are larger, therefor the toy must be large. They don't always look at the piece count. Now they'll see similar prices and smaller boxes and think 'why so much?'. Anyway, just a theory, but I hope that doesn't happen.

I didn't think of that! But what else would you buy for Little Jonny? Mega-Blocks or Kre-O?

Since Lego already has such a large infrastructure in place, I doubt it will damage them that much. Allso, because they have many collectors around to buy them too!

The thought had crossed my mind, but then again does anybody remember how big the boxes were for computer software? Those used to be HUGE! Now they're the size of a DVD case basically. Course the box of those and these LEGO sets are part of the advertising gimmick to get kids attention, so it made sense for them to be so big. The size change will affect consumers decision in the beginning until the new size becomes the norm. Then who'll notice or think differently?

This is a win-win situation for LEGO. They can say that the company is "Going Green" (that bandwagon term annoys the crap out of me) AND cut cost & some corners for the company. Brilliant!

I've already heard too many times from parents in the store this year saying over and over again to their kids, "LEGOs are expensive, come on lets go!" which for me brings up the question of "What the heck are you doing in the aisle to begin with?". I've heard another parent with three kids saying that they only had $13 to spend...... Really? You are going to try and find anything at all for less than $13?

Here is one experience that I overheard when in the LEGO aisle at Target that I found humerous.

I'm looking at some SUPER HEROES sets, and two kids go speeding behind me. One of them is really REALLY loud, pointing at everything and keeps saying "OH COOL!!!!!" Anyway, the loud one is looking at a big set and says, "OH LOOK AT THIS! It's only 90 dollars!" and his brother in a cynical tone replies, "That's 99, stupid!" I had to keep myself from laughing.

I mean, I think some consumers do look at the piece count, but trends in the pricing over the years lead me to believe that this could negatively affect sales...depending on how much they reduce the box sizes of course. If we're only talking about a couple of inches, then it's probably not that big of a deal. My Skull's Eye Schooner box is much bigger than my Queen Anne's Revenge box, and I wouldn't feel ripped off if I had ignored the piece count(especially since they are almost identical in size when built). There are also a number of older models that came in larger boxes with not even 500 pieces, and they would charge about 70 bucks for them, which leads me to believe that there is going to be a perception of 'overpriced' if the boxes get too small. Doesn't bother any of us I know, but it could bother all the parents of the little kiddies running through the toy aisles.

• 1 month later...

I have always thought the box sizes were a total waste.....over half of most boxes is just empty space.

Like a bag of chips. Just disappointment. I think I could have fit twice as much in my closet if they would have applied this earlier. Still is nice to have for the future.

I haven't seen much of a reduction, all though a lot of news on this topic, which sets are getting smaller boxes now? I kind of hoped we would start seeing across the board box reductions but I haven't yet. Most of the sets in certain price points are still being placed in their respective boxes.

I haven't seen much of a reduction, all though a lot of news on this topic, which sets are getting smaller boxes now? I kind of hoped we would start seeing across the board box reductions but I haven't yet. Most of the sets in certain price points are still being placed in their respective boxes.

Well, for starters, compare the size of a new SW battle pack to that of a discontinued one. The new ones are much smaller. About the size of some of those Lego City mini-sets.

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds good. Got a link or something to a source, I'd like to read more. Will be great for investors in terms of storage space and shipping costs. I've always been a little annoyed there is usually so much unused space in an average Lego box.