City 2015

TheOrcKing

I wonder what is with this new "starter set" trend LEGO is on in particular the City theme. They released one a couple years ago retailing for $30 and now this year there is a handful of Starter Sets mainly in the $10 range with at least one at $30. Swamp Police Starter Set, Demolition Starter Set, Astronaut Starter Set (no image yet I think), Fire Starter Set, Deep Sea Starter Set, and plain LEGO City Starter Set. I suppose they are at good cheap price points and offer what is essentially a battle pack but for City instead of Star Wars or recently Chima. I'm just left pondering why all of these starter sets now. Perhaps LEGO is 'testing the waters' for what may hook the general crowd.

When I was a kid, my allowance burned holes in my pockets--so I bought up all the cheap little Space sets. I'm imagining they're trying to find those cheapo price points with the "starter" sets.

I tend to shy away from City as investments, but those subs, the helicopter, and that especially beautiful sunken ship are all winners.

All those sharks...

Edited by biking_tiger

When I was a kid, my allowance burned holes in my pockets--so I bought up all the cheap little Space sets. I'm imagining they're trying to find those cheapo price points with the "starter" sets.

I can remember buying those classic Space minifigure packs with something like five to six characters featuring weapons and gear for around $5 which seems bizarre compared to nowadays.

I tend to shy away from City as investments, but those subs, the helicopter, and that especially beautiful sunken ship are all winners.

All those sharks...

....We're gonna need a bigger boat.
  • Like 1

I can remember buying those classic Space minifigure packs with something like five to six characters featuring weapons and gear for around $5 which seems bizarre compared to nowadays.

....We're gonna need a bigger boat.

I tried to embed the "Spanish Ladies" scene from Jaws, but I'm code stupid, especially at 5-something AM.

That shipwreck set is one of the coolest city sets I have ever seen. I love this underwater theme. I will be buying these as investments if the price is right because they are unique. Might even have to get that shipwreck for myself although it looks like it will be expensive.