General shipping questions, tips and answers

speedpro50

I admit I haven't looked too deeply into the 'Advanced Listing' method, but is there any simple way to add multiple shipping options for International Buyers? 

When I list on ebay.ca I can choose multiple shipping options (Expedited, Xpress etc) for my Canadian buyers, but when I tick the box for International shipping, select USA, I only get one box to choose a shipping method. I'd like to offer multiple options for US buyers so there's a range of prices for shipping. I've been listing with Small and Light packet for anything under a kilo, but some people might like the tracking option or expedited on those orders, and I can't offer it to them until after they've submitted an offer or purchased the item and I have their contact link. Edit: Most of what I'm selling currently is used sets under $100 so I'm not personally fussed about tracking being included for coverage purposes, I'm ok with a bit of a gamble there, but for the sake of my buyers who might want the options, it'd be great to provide those right on the listing screen. 

Is there any easy way to set this up for my US buyers? Are these options available in the Advanced menu?  

Edited by Zelgazra

8 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

I admit I haven't looked too deeply into the 'Advanced Listing' method, but is there any simple way to add multiple shipping options for International Buyers? 

When I list on ebay.ca I can choose multiple shipping options (Expedited, Xpress etc) for my Canadian buyers, but when I tick the box for International shipping, select USA, I only get one box to choose a shipping method. I'd like to offer multiple options for US buyers so there's a range of prices for shipping. I've been listing with Small and Light packet for anything under a kilo, but some people might like the tracking option or expedited on those orders, and I can't offer it to them until after they've submitted an offer or purchased the item and I have their contact link. Edit: Most of what I'm selling currently is used sets under $100 so I'm not personally fussed about tracking being included for coverage purposes, I'm ok with a bit of a gamble there, but for the sake of my buyers who might want the options, it'd be great to provide those right on the listing screen. 

Is there any easy way to set this up for my US buyers? Are these options available in the Advanced menu?  

You should be able to add more than 1 international shipping option and at each level you'll define the type and the cost (calculated vs flat rate). I usually add two - low cost "expedited parcel" and the higher cost "xpresspost parcel." What platform are you doing this from? Desktop/laptop, tablet? Because yes setup is different for each. :)

13 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

Brilliant! That is indeed the Advanced screen I've been avoiding cause I hate the archaic interface :P Thanks for breaking it down in detail for me Greg! 

Where you can go from there is that you create a listing using that screen... once it's all setup properly, you should be able to use the "sell similar" feature of your own item (changing the necessary fields of course) and those shipping options _should_ carry over even if you go back to the simpler screen.

I just use the one with more options all the time... you get used to it. :)

2 hours ago, gregpj said:

Where you can go from there is that you create a listing using that screen... once it's all setup properly, you should be able to use the "sell similar" feature of your own item (changing the necessary fields of course) and those shipping options _should_ carry over even if you go back to the simpler screen.

I just use the one with more options all the time... you get used to it. :)

Ok so now I have to ask - how do I get to the advanced screen on ebay.com? Even the ebay lady I spoke with a while ago was initially referring to that screen, but I always get the "dummy" version - no matter if I click on "Sell an item" or "Sell Similar" or "Add another listing". I've looked, but barring a toggle somewhere in my account settings I haven't found where and how to do it .... anyone any tips?

29 minutes ago, gregpj said:

On eBay.ca we see this:

Or this

There is a way to set it as your default, but I'm pretty sure eBay will remember which editor you used last time for automatically.

Thanks! I found it (and ebay is warning me not to use it since I'm a beginning seller - but will start listing a bunch of minifigs (~500) after the holidays so likely to switch over soon).

44 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Thanks! I found it (and ebay is warning me not to use it since I'm a beginning seller - but will start listing a bunch of minifigs (~500) after the holidays so likely to switch over soon).

As with most things, ignore what eBay is telling you should do. ;)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jeffrey_Dollars said:

Could somebody tell me the basic pros and cons of selling on eBay vs selling on Amazon? 

On Amazon you will have way more returns and customers being very nit picky about things.  People are used to being able return anything they want on Amazon for any reason so when they buy from third party sellers the same applies. If you are selling items that go in and out of stock from Amazon proper then you will have more returns also. For example, you might sell IR for $200+ and then it will pop back in stock from Amazon and if that buyer sees that it came back in stock they will immediately start a return. You can make more money selling on Amazon despite the higher fees for certain items. For other items ebay is better. When you sell on both it complicates things because not only do you have to do a price/demand comparison, you also have to be careful tracking your inventory so that you don't oversell on one and then have to cancel orders.  You also need to consider FBA vs. FBM with Amazon which is completely separate issue. 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

What do UK sellers recommend for larger sets e.g Modulars or something like Tower Bridge etc? Looking at the shipping prices locally, even those are quite a bit once insurance is tacked on. Do people generally go with local collection only?

Edit: Found UK thread instead! 

Edited by Shadow Ranger

I'm thinking about signing up for stamps.com to see if that helps reduce shipping costs on self-fulfilled amazon orders.

Is anyone else doing this?

Does stamps.com offer any further discount over the ebay postage discount?

Trying to come up with ways to offset the upcoming increase in USPS rates on Jan 17. :(

Edited by cladner

1 hour ago, cladner said:

I'm thinking about signing up for stamps.com to see if that helps reduce shipping costs on self-fulfilled amazon orders.

Is anyone else doing this?

Does stamps.com offer any further discount over the ebay postage discount?

Trying to come up with ways to offset the upcoming increase in USPS rates on Jan 17. :(

Stamps gives the eBay discount rate.  I am a subscriber to Stamps and it works fine.  Their stamp printing web page can be a little wonky (especially when trying to reprint a label), but I've never had a real issue that couldn't be solved with a little time.  

• 2 weeks later...

Had a buyer order an Iron Fist Minifigure on 12/28.  Tracking says it was delivered 12 days ago.  He now says he never received it.

What is odd...  He bought another mini figure from me a week later on 1/4 and had it shipped to a different address in a different city (albeit both are suburbs of LA).

He opened a case with the USPS.  And suggested that I open a case with my insurance company to refund him the cost of the item.  (Yes, only $14.)  And no I do not have insurance as a small-time eBay seller...

I went through eBay's help site (which is not entirely helpful).  Seems like I am clean since I shipped to the correct address and provided tracking?

Any advice?  This is my first time after countless transactions to encounter a delivery issue.  

I replied back saying I would look into it, and I did point out his differing addresses.

37 minutes ago, trstnkn said:

Had a buyer order an Iron Fist Minifigure on 12/28.  Tracking says it was delivered 12 days ago.  He now says he never received it.

What is odd...  He bought another mini figure from me a week later on 1/4 and had it shipped to a different address in a different city (albeit both are suburbs of LA).

He opened a case with the USPS.  And suggested that I open a case with my insurance company to refund him the cost of the item.  (Yes, only $14.)  And no I do not have insurance as a small-time eBay seller...

I went through eBay's help site (which is not entirely helpful).  Seems like I am clean since I shipped to the correct address and provided tracking?

Any advice?  This is my first time after countless transactions to encounter a delivery issue.  

I replied back saying I would look into it, and I did point out his differing addresses.

As long as tracking says it was delivered to the address you were provided in PayPal, you are covered. The only thing this person can do is open a case with eBay and once you provide tracking, eBay will side with you. It's probably best that they open a case (resolution center) because if they leave you negative feedback, it will be reversed upon winning the case.

25 minutes ago, Legbrick said:

Warning to Sellers!  I saw a new Postage fee display today at my local Post Office. all shipping fees to go up next Tuesday the 19th of Jan! 

I think minimum Priority is going up about .60

I will be sure to account for these raises in my sales.

Thanks for the reminder, my Mom wants to load up on Forever Stamps.

Just had a guy write this: "I know this might be an inconvenience however i need to retract my bid. meant to bid. 80,90 so. Again sorry for any inconvenience"

Now, judging from his meaning, if it can be interpreted at all based on his lacking ability with grammar, it seems like he might want to bid differently. However, after sending him 3 - 4 messages I have yet to receive a response. Should I just cancel his bid outright and move on?

He's been on ebay since 1/5/16, so literally 2 weeks and it doesn't look like he gets that after he sends a message someone might in fact respond...In any event...would it be easier to just cancel it now while the auction is still live than to deal w/this once the auction closes? I don't want to give anyone negative feedback if I don't have to but this guy just doesn't seem to know how to use ebay, and I am not surprised. As soon as I saw the amount of feedback was 3 I knew this wasn't going to happen....Thanks for any suggestions. 

12 minutes ago, midbenne said:

Just had a guy write this: "I know this might be an inconvenience however i need to retract my bid. meant to bid. 80,90 so. Again sorry for any inconvenience"

Now, judging from his meaning, if it can be interpreted at all based on his lacking ability with grammar, it seems like he might want to bid differently. However, after sending him 3 - 4 messages I have yet to receive a response. Should I just cancel his bid outright and move on?

He's been on ebay since 1/5/16, so literally 2 weeks and it doesn't look like he gets that after he sends a message someone might in fact respond...In any event...would it be easier to just cancel it now while the auction is still live than to deal w/this once the auction closes? I don't want to give anyone negative feedback if I don't have to but this guy just doesn't seem to know how to use ebay, and I am not surprised. As soon as I saw the amount of feedback was 3 I knew this wasn't going to happen....Thanks for any suggestions. 

Cancel, block, and move on with your life. Also, you can't give buyers negative feedback so the only one that can get negative feedback is you. 

• Like 1