General shipping questions, tips and answers

speedpro50

34 minutes ago, odysea11 said:

It won't let me do any relisting or editing right now. Frustrating....

I always love when ebay decides to roll out changes during the busiest shopping time of the year. Brilliant.

14 minutes ago, labfreak7 said:

They have no problems collecting fees though....

of course not. Their ads and spam email system are still running at 100% efficiency too. Gotta have priorities.

I have a buyer from Puerto Rico asking for a shipping quote. My listing has calculated shipping and is using GSP. I don't think PR is part of GSP but since it is part of US would the listing not automatically calculate the shipping for her? If not, what's the best way to handle?  

Edited by jbacunn

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the 20 x 16 x 4 boxes from Staples to ship Batcaves, AT-AT, etc. size sets.  When I measure these, I round up and they end up being 21 x 17 x 5, which will put you into USPS dimensional weight.  However, actual dimensions are closer to 20.5 x 16.5 x 4.5 which calculates out to less than the 1 cubic foot limit for dimensional weight.  Is it legit to round one of the dimensions down to get lower shipping price?

Anything over 13oz I always ship USPS Priority. The largest box I usually use is 24x16x4 (Indominus Rex size). I never enter dimensions of the box in PayPal shipping because it seems like anything this size and under is all based on weight and is the same price. Are there cases where I could have paid less entering the box dimensions? I don't think I have ever underpaid because I have never had a package with postage due.

43 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

when I create a shipment here: Shipping Calculator | eBay  there is no price different for Priority Mail between 20x16x4 & 21x17x5 when shipped near your zone. (eg shipping from east coast to east coast) The price difference comes into play when shipping from east to west and vice versa.

This is helpful.

https://www.usps.com/dimensionalweight/

The difference for me was ~$4, so it was going to a different zone, but I just paid the difference to avoid any trouble.  I had come across that link, but I still can't find their rules for measuring packages and rounding.  I'm sure it's somewhere...

On 11/29/2015 at 11:04 AM, Spelunkin_Paul said:

Has anyone had any issues with their packing slips having their own name and not their business name listed? I have had it affect my shipping labels too. I have defaulted the "ship from" address I want in my account settings, but it still goes back to the wrong one. Is there something in PayPal that affects eBay packing slips?

Be sure to edit your address once youre on the " print shipping label "page. Oddly this page address is DIFFERENT from your other addressses. Mine defaultrd to my previous state eventhough i changed all my ebay and paypal addresses. I only noticed when i tore a label and happened to look at my return address on the label. 

1 hour ago, sflv said:

Anything over 13oz I always ship USPS Priority. The largest box I usually use is 24x16x4 (Indominus Rex size). I never enter dimensions of the box in PayPal shipping because it seems like anything this size and under is all based on weight and is the same price. Are there cases where I could have paid less entering the box dimensions? I don't think I have ever underpaid because I have never had a package with postage due.

For USPS Only:

Not at that size. 24x16x4 and under are not affected by dimensional weight. Dimensional weight only applies for USPS Priority shipments that go to Zones 5 or higher and exceed a higher dimensional threshold (can't remember off the top of my head). The typical 84" and 108" length + girth restrictions still apply to Parcel Select and Priority Zones 1-4.

• Like 2

I've always shipped within the United States; however, I have a few items with interest from overseas buyers.  Thinking I should activate eBay's Global Shipping Program.  However, I'm noticing that I cannot activate it on some listings.  It is not one of the shipping options at all.  Are there specific Lego categories that do not allow the Global Ship program?  I mainly sell used items but occasionally sell new.

I've read some of the threads on the program.  Seen a couple of negatives from items being poorly repacked.  Otherwise, I cannot really see why not to do this?

Thank you as always for your help!

I've always shipped within the United States; however, I have a few items with interest from overseas buyers.  Thinking I should activate eBay's Global Shipping Program.  However, I'm noticing that I cannot activate it on some listings.  It is not one of the shipping options at all.  Are there specific Lego categories that do not allow the Global Ship program?  I mainly sell used items but occasionally sell new.

I've read some of the threads on the program.  Seen a couple of negatives from items being poorly repacked.  Otherwise, I cannot really see why not to do this?

I believe they won't ship over $2500...

12 minutes ago, trstnkn said:

Not sure why you are not seeing the option for all items. I believe some categories are restricted but anything toys/collectibles/video games should be eligible. It should not make a difference whether the item is new or used. If you turn on GSP from your seller settings it may only apply to new listings you start after you do this and not existing ones. I'm not sure. I have sold dozens of items via GSP and only had one problem. It was a major problem but ebay resolved it with no harm to me. Essentially if you get the item delivered successfully to the distribution center in the US then you are not responsible for any shipping issues after that.