NCAA College Football (incl poll)

National Championship 2014/2015 Winner  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who's going to win the 2014-2015 National Championship

It's that time again, the hallowed turfs of some of the largest and most historic stadiums play center stage this coming weekend. Who's going to win this years Championship? Is the new play off system the answer? Will Bama come back and crush all before them? Welcome to the unofficial Lego NCAA football discussion.

Hook Em Horns!

DKR-Texas-Memorial-Stadium-1.jpg

Nebraska will suck again, can't wait for PeLLLLini to be gone.  But HEY!  We got Wifi in the stadium now!! Yippee!

I love the playoff format, but wish it was 8 teams, not 4.  The bowls are great but an antiquated system.  Keep them for everybody else outside the playoff and find a true champion.

For Texas having as much money/backing as they do, they ought to be a little better.  I won't rag on them too hard since I need them to hold the conference together.

Nebraska will suck again, can't wait for PeLLLLini to be gone.  But HEY!  We got Wifi in the stadium now!! Yippee!

I love the playoff format, but wish it was 8 teams, not 4.  The bowls are great but an antiquated system.  Keep them for everybody else outside the playoff and find a true champion.

I also think 8 would be better.  I listed to Bobby Bowden on Mike & Mike today and he said he was not a fan.  His argument was that 1 & 2 always played each other and that was the way it should be, seemingly had no idea of any past controversy.  Until that statement, he sounded lucid.

Keeping the Bowls for teams outside of the Playoffs devalues the four prestigious Bowls. An eight team Playoff would give a feeling of greater justification to the winning finalist but would require scrapping the Bowl system (which isn't going happen) 

How the Huskers finding the Big 10? I miss Texas v Nebraska games, TCU bring a local rivalry but the Huskers are a big team with a huge fanbase. Games were always tough.

Keeping the Bowls for teams outside of the Playoffs devalues the four prestigious Bowls. An eight team Playoff would give a feeling of greater justification to the winning finalist but would require scrapping the Bowl system (which isn't going happen) 

How the Huskers finding the Big 10? I miss Texas v Nebraska games, TCU bring a local rivalry but the Huskers are a big team with a huge fanbase. Games were always tough.

I don't think the bowl games devalue the four "prestigious bowls" anymore than they do already.  There are a bunch of junk bowl games, IMO having as many as they do devalues the whole "going to a bowl game" thing.

Back to Back!

?The Heisman and The National Championship Trophy. :drinks:

If you guys don't win are you going to be "crabby"?

For Texas having as much money/backing as they do, they ought to be a little better.  I won't rag on them too hard since I need them to hold the conference together.

I also think 8 would be better.  I listed to Bobby Bowden on Mike & Mike today and he said he was not a fan.  His argument was that 1 & 2 always played each other and that was the way it should be, seemingly had no idea of any past controversy.  Until that statement, he sounded lucid.

It's true Texas haven't been relevant for five years now, it doesn't help now that the Aggies, LSU and Oregon are stealing most of Texas's top prospects. It didn't help that the previous staff did a poor job of developing the talent over these last few years. The defense needs to tighten up this season, we averaged 25 points a game last year. Not good enough for Texas. I've got faith in Charlie Strong, he's already recruited three from Florida, more than Mack achieved in sixteen years.

I don't think the bowl games devalue the four "prestigious bowls" anymore than they do already.  There are a bunch of junk bowl games, IMO having as many as they do devalues the whole "going to a bowl game" thing.

I was referring to keeping the Sugar, Fiesta, Orange and Rose Bowls out of the Playoff system. Just can't see the sponsors allowing the Bowls to be devalued.

It's true Texas haven't been relevant for five years now, it doesn't help now that the Aggies, LSU and Oregon are stealing most of Texas's top prospects. It didn't help that the previous staff did a poor job of developing the talent over these last few years. The defense needs to tighten up this season, we averaged 25 points a game last year. Not good enough for Texas. I've got faith in Charlie Strong, he's already recruited three from Florida, more than Mack achieved in sixteen years.

It comes and goes, Texas will be relevant again.  I realize with the decline everyone wants to bash on Brown, but he did a lot for that program.

I was referring to keeping the Sugar, Fiesta, Orange and Rose Bowls out of the Playoff system. Just can't see the sponsors allowing the Bowls to be devalued.

Gotcha.  I think the playoff will eventually expand, but it may take another decade.

If you guys don't win are you going to be "crabby"?

Here you have a guy who is smart on the field, but not off of it.

He's a Hillbilly that is still unpolished.

Someone should have sat him down and have a deep talk with him prior to that incident.

Just play for another year or 2. Then you can have all the Legs you want.........Including Crab  :rofl: .

In regards to Texas, Mack couldn't see talent if it bit him in the ass.

Robert Griffin III

Johnny Manziel

Jameis Winston

All Heisman Winners. All could have been Playing for Texas. All were Overlooked by Mack. 

It's crazy, Jameis Winston wanted to come to Texas but Mack never offered up a scholarship. Brown doesn't deserve to be entirely lambasted, after all he did bring some success to Texas. Two National Championship finals and ten straight 10 win seasons, but there were huge cracks and it was time for him to go.  

Here you have a guy who is smart on the field, but not off of it.

He's a Hillbilly that is still unpolished.

Someone should have sat him down and have a deep talk with him prior to that incident.

Just play for another year or 2. Then you can have all the Legs you want.........Including Crab  :rofl: .

I definitely did some stupid stuff in college, no one cared though since I didn't play football.

• Like 1

It's crazy, Jameis Winston wanted to come to Texas but Mack never offered up a scholarship. Brown doesn't deserve to be entirely lambasted, after all he did bring some success to Texas. Two National Championship finals and ten straight 10 win seasons, but there were huge cracks and it was time for him to go.  

He didn't offer scholarships to Griffin or Johnny football.  Both players were from Texas.

He reminds me of FSU former Coach, Bowden.

Started to lose some of his gray matter at the end of his tenure.

He did win it in 2005. 

For as big as Texas football is, How much Talent are in the state, and how deep their pockets are....I would have given the Bank of Texas to Urban Meyers.

I would think that using those bowls as quarterfinal games would be fine.  The bowls have been devalued over the years as the keep adding bowls that are worthless.  January 1 used to be the greatest day in all of sports, it's ho hum now since they moved all the big bowls to having their own day more or less. 

As for NU vs. UT, they were good games, but we always found a way to lose.  I can make quite the list of games that we snatched defeat out of the hands of victory against UT.  Texas was the team that was in NU's head and they could never beat them even if Nebraska had a superior team. 

• 1 month later...

I will cede that the SEC is the best football conference in America, it's not close.  But I find it laughable that an Ole Miss team that loses to a barely ranked, bagged on all season LSU team and only drops 4 spots in the polls.  I mean WTF???  Had that been a team from any other conference they would have dropped out of the top 10. 

As for Nebraska, we're 7-1, but a chimp could have coached them to that record with the teams we've played this year.  Texas getting shut out puts a smile on my face, but I do like Charlie Strong and think he'll do good things. But is always hard for a coach to survive when he tries to instill wholesale changes from the beginning.  It usually does not go well.

So I heard that Texas got shut out for the first time in 10 years by those hayseeds at Kansas State.

I will cede that the SEC is the best football conference in America, it's not close. But I find it laughable that an Ole Miss team that loses to a barely ranked, bagged on all season LSU team and only drops 4 spots in the polls. I mean WTF??? Had that been a team from any other conference they would have dropped out of the top 10.

As for Nebraska, we're 7-1, but a chimp could have coached them to that record with the teams we've played this year. Texas getting shut out puts a smile on my face, but I do like Charlie Strong and think he'll do good things. But is always hard for a coach to survive when he tries to instill wholesale changes from the beginning. It usually does not go well.

Yup it's a painful time being a Longhorn fan. Offence is not good enough, Texas have a new QB, injuries, suspensions and a new coach who's trying to apply his own style of football. I think he'll get a couple of seasons to prove himself, after all there's a lot of work to do. It's the second season we've lost out to A&M on the recruiting front now, but it's to be expected and the tables will turn again in Texas's favour.

As for the SEC being the best division, don't think too many will argue. However I do believe that it's vastly overrated. It creates its own stigma, I think it was three weeks back there was seven SEC teams in the top 15 which is plain absurd. It took the Aggies three losses to drop out of the top 25, and they weren't even a top five team when they started losing.

Yup it's a painful time being a Longhorn fan. Offence is not good enough, Texas have a new QB, injuries, suspensions and a new coach who's trying to apply his own style of football. I think he'll get a couple of seasons to prove himself, after all there's a lot of work to do. It's the second season we've lost out to A&M on the recruiting front now, but it's to be expected and the tables will turn again in Texas's favour.

As for the SEC being the best division, don't think too many will argue. However I do believe that it's vastly overrated. It creates its own stigma, I think it was three weeks back there was seven SEC teams in the top 15 which is plain absurd. It took the Aggies three losses to drop out of the top 25, and they weren't even a top five team when they started losing.

The big rankings issue is that the SEC is presumed to be excellent even when they are not - thus the drop in rankings is smaller and the concentration of top ranked teams is high.  The top SEC teams are better, by sheer volume, than the other conferences.

SEC fans love to say that we beat [number] of ranked teams but forget that some of the teams are not good this year (Texas A&M, South Carolina) were only ranked because of last year.

The great part is that the teams will sort themselves out as they almost always do and they won't be this massive bundle of 10 teams for 4 spots at the end of the season.

Try telling Oklahoma fans that after they smashed up Alabama in their bowl game back in January.

We beat Georgia last bowl game, doesn't mean I think NU would compete in the SEC.  Bowl games are tough because you really don't know what team is going to show up.  The last 2 bowl games that Alabama has played in that didn't mean much to them they have lost, also losing to Utah in the Sugar bowl a few years ago. 

The way Texas always recruited was to basically lock up their class by the end of their Junior Days and then grab a couple here and there.  The problem with that strategy, even though you are getting elite talent, a lot of time you are getting kids that peak early while teams that recruit later may get that kid that is hot at the end of his senior year and still developing.  Neither is wrong, but they missed out on a lot of kids that blew up because they were already full.

• Like 1

I am a Bama fan and go to most of the bowl games and SEC champ. games seeing they're played here.  I can say when they lose that last game of the year they do not play very well in the bowl game.  Not saying its right or anything but the motivation does not seem to be there.  They got whooped by Utah and Oklahoma last year.  Lots of teams have done that in the past though.  I think anyone going into a bowl game after the way the Auburn game ended would be a let down.  You can never tell for sure and no one will no for sure but Bama does not seem to play with fire after a late title ending loss (Florida 08 and Auburn 13).

As said above to the bottleneck with MSU Ole Miss Bama Auburn doesn't really matter where they are ranked as they all have at least 2 games against each other and 2 of them will have at least 2 loses (and I predict we will be one of them).

Alabama has LSU, MSU, and Auburn left

Ole Miss has Auburn and MSU left

MSU has Bama and Ole Miss

Auburn has Ole Miss, ***, and Bama

No way anyone of those 4 goes unscathed.  I see a lot of splits coming so they'll all drop and whoever wins the most will have the best shot at going to the playoff

The team I would be most scared of playing right now is TCU.  The blew the Baylor game but that teams offense is ridiculous.  Makes Baylors offense look weak. 

if FSU gets past Louisville I see them as the only lock to get in the playoff unless more suspensions come (Winston or Williams)

Should be an interesting last month though.  Looking forward to it!