Creator 2015

Alpinemaps

• 4 weeks later...

I thought the new Toy Shop 31036 was $79, ten less then the bike shop, I know I read that somewhere on here. I saw it at target today for $39 it is half the size and less detailed.

Not impressed.

yeah agreed posted about a week ago when I found it then.  Said pretty much the same thing how it was half the size and not as detailed as the first one.  Thought it was weird as I thought it was supposed to be a series type thing.  

I was able to sell it for $75 though so that wasn't to bad as I got it for $36.

I picked up the Beach Hut tonight and that one looks pretty neat for a smaller set.  The box feels heavy for a 286pc set.   

I thought the new Toy Shop 31036 was $79, ten less then the bike shop, I know I read that somewhere on here. I saw it at target today for $39 it is half the size and less detailed.

Not impressed.

Do the alternate builds look interesting? I was hoping at least one of the builds would make it compatible with the bike shop but looking at the picture it looks like the side walk is only 2 studs deep instead of 3 etc.

yeah agreed posted about a week ago when I found it then.  Said pretty much the same thing how it was half the size and not as detailed as the first one.  Thought it was weird as I thought it was supposed to be a series type thing.  

I was able to sell it for $75 though so that wasn't to bad as I got it for $36.

I picked up the Beach Hut tonight and that one looks pretty neat for a smaller set.  The box feels heavy for a 286pc set.

I liked the beach hut box but wasn't paying MSRP when I still have to build the beach house. It will be on my watch list.

Do the alternate builds look interesting? I was hoping at least one of the builds would make it compatible with the bike shop but looking at the picture it looks like the side walk is only 2 studs deep instead of 3 etc.

I think you can fold the main build to make one building to go along with the other two from the first set.

We need Binuo to photoshop us a pic of the two together like he did for the bike shop and PR

• Like 1

You can have a better look on the altenate versions if you click on "more images":

Grocery shop: http://brickset.com/sets/31036-1/Toy-Grocery-Shop

Bike shop: http://brickset.com/sets/31026-1/Bike-Shop-Cafe

Edited by biniou

We need Binuo to photoshop us a pic of the two together like he did for the bike shop and PR

Too many alternate versions (two "3 in 1" sets), and the main model of the bike shop can be opened. And the pictures I saw have some different angles.

Although here is a picture, I hope it's accurate enough, to show the difference in size between these two sets:

sans-t33.jpg

Bigger picture:

'>

Models are "mirrored" because the angle of view might give a bad idea of the ratio.

Note: this time I did not use the studs to compare sets, like I did with the Parisian restaurant (32 studs) and the 31026 (16 studs), but the hight of the buildings (19 bricks + 1 stud for the 31026 and 20 bricks for the 31036)

Edited by biniou
  • Like 2

You can have a better look on the altenate versions if you click on "more images":

Grocery shop: http://brickset.com/sets/31036-1/Toy-Grocery-Shop

I like the alternate builds for the Toy Grocery Shop more so than the main model.

31036_alt3.jpg

31036_alt4.jpg

These are really buildings to put in a suburbian area. Do not combine nicely with the modulars I am affraid.

Not without more pieces and some heavy modding but it is possible.

Just built 31036 and here are some photos of how it fits into the other mid size modulars.

Thanks for the pics! I was actually just looking at this set the other night. After building this, what are your thoughts about the idea of buying several of these sets to create a more 'normal' sized modular? Based on piece count, it appears that 4-5 sets of 31036 could get you a good count and about the same price as the DO at RRP assuming you pick them up at a typical BPer discount (20-30%).

Actually, I am interested in your opinion of that idea for both mini-mods after your build.

• Like 1

Just built 31036 and here are some photos of how it fits into the other mid size modulars.

For half the price of the Bike Shop & Cafe, it fits in rather well. Thank you for sharing the build.

I was actually just looking at this set the other night. After building this, what are your thoughts about the idea of buying several of these sets to create a more 'normal' sized modular? Based on piece count, it appears that 4-5 sets of 31036 could get you a good count and about the same price as the DO at RRP assuming you pick them up at a typical BPer discount (20-30%).

I know your question was not in my direction but from some personal experience experimenting with the idea of buying multiples of a Creator house set to build something like a modular using only the included parts that could be somewhat easily modified into a full modular by adding some extra ones, it is possible. With three Log Cabins I built a single floor 16x16 home with a small garden in the back, three Small Cottages turned into a two floor 8x16 'spite house', and currently I am fiddling around with the four Seaside Houses I bought up. I wish to go back to the Log Cabin combo and redesign it better.

Also another member here has made a wonderful modular using a couple of the Bike Shop & Cafe set. It is well worth the viewing. Depending on what you are going for, I believe a few of the Toy & Grocery Shop could make a nice modular MOC.

I know your question was not in my direction but from some personal experience experimenting with the idea of buying multiples of a Creator house set to build something like a modular using only the included parts that could be somewhat easily modified into a full modular by adding some extra ones, it is possible. With three Log Cabins I built a single floor 16x16 home with a small garden in the back, three Small Cottages turned into a two floor 8x16 'spite house', and currently I am fiddling around with the four Seaside Houses I bought up. I wish to go back to the Log Cabin combo and redesign it better.

Also another member here has made a wonderful modular using a couple of the Bike Shop & Cafe set. It is well worth the viewing. Depending on what you are going for, I believe a few of the Toy & Grocery Shop could make a nice modular MOC.

TOK, thanks very much for the input. I am keen on the idea of purchasing multiples of existing sets and trying to create my own mod and it sounds like you have been successful. Have you posted pics of your creations in other threads? Would love to see what you have been able to do in that regard.

What are your thoughts on using the Bike Shop & Cafe or the Toy & Grocery Shop to do what you have done with the houses? Is it something you will try out?

I have read some discussion on MOC modulars, but it seems one draw-back is finding all the pieces, some of which can be hard to find or pricey, depending on the creator. For me personally, I am leaning towards using existing sets to comprise the bulk of the parts simply to cut down on time required to source the parts.

TOK, thanks very much for the input. I am keen on the idea of purchasing multiples of existing sets and trying to create my own mod and it sounds like you have been successful. Have you posted pics of your creations in other threads? Would love to see what you have been able to do in that regard.

I have posted my 'modularized' 5766 Log Cabin model here in this topic a while back. Although my 31009 Small Cottages turned spite house build is complete, I haven't had a good chance to photograph that one yet between bad lighting and time.

What are your thoughts on using the Bike Shop & Cafe or the Toy & Grocery Shop to do what you have done with the houses? Is it something you will try out?

Fantastic candidates in my opinion. The Bike Shop set should have enough pieces on its own to create something decent but seeing how each floor are predominantly different colors, a couple of that one will keep the colors continuous and help expand the room sizes to proper modular standards. If I were to go 8 studs wide and 16 studs deep ('spite house' dimensions) with the Toy Shop, I think two of the set could work while a regular standard for modulars may need four perhaps. A lot of this is just spitballing between glancing at those sets inventory lists and possible structures to construct.

I have read some discussion on MOC modulars, but it seems one draw-back is finding all the pieces, some of which can be hard to find or pricey, depending on the creator. For me personally, I am leaning towards using existing sets to comprise the bulk of the parts simply to cut down on time required to source the parts.

It is a good idea to limit the parts to what you already have acquired to keep costs down. There are a couple of basic guidelines to follow when designing a modular that are outlined here. I think the tiles for building the sidewalk can be the most costly as not many sets besides the official modular houses contain a ton of 2x2 square tiles or the long single stud wide ones. Best thing to do is plan out your custom modular with sketching a draft out on paper or using Lego's Digital Designer to build it virtually with access to every single piece and color ever made.

One last thing to consider, while the larger Creator houses such as Family House offer a good amount of long bricks (1x8) which make constructing any wall go fast, on the other hand the smaller ones like Small Cottage or Beach Hut contain plenty of unique pieces however not many if at all long bricks for constructing walls. (They usually have 1x4 or smaller which are great for details like windows and odd spots but take more to make side walls for example.) If going for purchasing multiples especially the smaller Creator houses, try to obtain each at a fairly good discount from Amazon or wherever. A single $60 retail Creator house will always build something bigger to begin with than $60 worth of three small sized $20 Creator houses so discounts are a must.

Thanks for the pics! I was actually just looking at this set the other night. After building this, what are your thoughts about the idea of buying several of these sets to create a more 'normal' sized modular? Based on piece count, it appears that 4-5 sets of 31036 could get you a good count and about the same price as the DO at RRP assuming you pick them up at a typical BPer discount (20-30%).

Actually, I am interested in your opinion of that idea for both mini-mods after your build.

I think TOK's thoughts are spot on regarding the ideas for expanding this set. A couple of my observations are it seems like they used a lot of window pieces to fill wall area and I was surprised at how few actual bricks are used - when building I thought to myself with some more bricks this could be made into a nice larger building. Most of the non window wall pieces are either 1x2 or 1x2 bricks built into columns around them. I have included a couple more pictures below for you to see in detail. To me when I compare this to the Bike Shop many of the walls are also built from 1x2 and 2x2 bricks but to me appears "fuller" and more substantial. I also feel like roof section could be much improved with more pieces to work with. At the very least I could image buying 2 of the toy and grocery shop and making a fuller sized building that would fit right along with the bike shop and cafe set - which is what I might do.

post-36471-0-29741500-1420833918_thumb.j

post-36471-0-07265700-1420833940_thumb.j

post-36471-0-48176800-1420834003_thumb.j

• Like 1