79018 - The Lonely Mountain

I wonder who dropped the ball on this scenario here for the final wave of Hobbit sets; LEGO or the retailers? For LEGO to put effort into these between the designs, box art, and more importantly Smaug, it seems wrong not to have them more available for the average consumer to actually find them. On the other hand most retailers may not have been willing to shell out the dough for more 'benchwarming builds' that would inevitably see deep discounts same as all the prior offerings have. I can admit this wave is the weakest with Smaug being the true highlight but it does come across like "why bother?" with how things look at the moment.

Don't feel bad because I am the same way. Smaug is awesome, the set is great, the price though is "whoa mama" but that is only my opinion. If it were possible to purchase this at a discount I might but not retail.

Same here. I really like this set. But even if the price point was $99, I would still balk.

• Like 1

I have been to many Targets and Walmarts, and none of them carry them.  I have only seen them at Toyrus and Lego stores.  This might be a sleeper hit in the future.  I am also waiting for a better discount to buy it at Toyrus. 

TRU and Lego store don't have them. Just ask Mathew

No you haven't. Mathew has spoken.

I think he was referring to your post about all of the major retailers carrying this item near you.  Go to the BP Target tracker and type in your zip code and this DCPI:

204-00-0450

Tell me where is it in stock at Target?  There are almost no Target retail stores in the country that carry this.  Now maybe these inventory trackers are wrong, but outside of the random online return here or there this set doesn't seem to be stocked at Target anywhere other than their website.  The same seems to be true for Walmart.  It is very rare or nonexistent at these retailers.

Edited by zskid00

Same here. I really like this set. But even if the price point was $99, I would still balk.

I think I could have gotten them down to $89 around Christmas time with discounts and points, and even then I wasn't willing. I didn't want to deal with parting everything else out to get a $50 Smaug.

Stopped at a Toys R Us in Nashville the other night and they had a stack of them. They do exist in the wild. Key point The Wild.

If by the Wild, you mean Southern California, then yes. ;)

I just performed a Target stock check and not one in my state carries The Lonely Mountain period. Also looked up the others and a couple may have the Witch-King Battle, nobody has Attack on Lake-Town anymore, which leaves a handful surprisingly (or maybe unsurprisingly considering the price) of The Battle of The Five Armies. To be honest only reason I could think of getting that last set is for the orcs (duh) and Azog.

I think I read somewhere once that movie license deal contents (waves, # SKUs, price points, etc) are laid out years in advance. It could be that Lego was contractually required to push that final wave of Hobbit sets out. Based on the limited availability it may mean that Lego knew they were slow sellers, did a half-hearted, but contractually satisfactory retail distribution, and now are just counting the days until they are free from it. Most likely the designers have no discussion with the distribution management, so they put their normal effort into designing the sets. The mold for Smaug was probably approved and made well before any decision about wave distribution.

• Like 3

I think he was referring to your post about all of the major retailers carrying this item near you.  Go to the BP Target tracker and type in your zip code and this DCPI:

204-00-0450

Tell me where is it in stock at Target?  There are almost no Target retail stores in the country that carry this.  Now maybe these inventory trackers are wrong, but outside of the random online return here or there this set doesn't seem to be stocked at Target anywhere other than their website.  The same seems to be true for Walmart.  It is very rare or nonexistent at these retailers.

Yeah well my original post was from over a month ago. What does the stock today have to do with that? ALso, I don't give a F what that stock tracker says. If you think the inventories on that are 100% accurate I have a bridge to sell you. I saw the things in a couple Targets. Period. I also saw them at Lego and TRU. Dude dug up a post of mine from a month ago and called me a liar publicly. F that guy. I saw them. And the funny thing is the posts after mine from people in my area who saw them as well. Are they lying too?

• Like 1

I

Yeah well my original post was from over a month ago. What does the stock today have to do with that? ALso, I don't give a F what that stock tracker says. If you think the inventories on that are 100% accurate I have a bridge to sell you. I saw the things in a couple Targets. Period. I also saw them at Lego and TRU. Dude dug up a post of mine from a month ago and called me a liar publicly. F that guy. I saw them. And the funny thing is the posts after mine from people in my area who saw them as well. Are they lying too?

dude, that kid is a troll.

On 3.5 years on this forum I've been called. Out twice as being a liar.

I then post a pic, why I feel the need to prove my self I dunno but I have.

And once I do..... Silence.... Or back peddling. Who cares what others think. The '' game'' or hustle pays for many of my bills..so what someone on a forum thinks who isn't a btp is irrelevant. :)

I've gotten quite a few Amazon gcs at 40% off today...... Cue the no u didn't comment.

Don't sweat it man. Just carry on.

Edited by hxckid88
  • Like 1

Haven't Hobbit completionists left pretty much every Hobbit/LOTR LEGO set on the shelves until they've reached discount/clearance levels?  

There have been many themes over the years that have sat on the shelves during discounts only to boom when retired. The Hobbit is a hugely popular franchise and will be so for many years to come. When most other themes are rehashed or interest wanes the likes of Harry Potter, LOTR and Hobbit will continue to grow in value. The key with sets like this is to buy in when the price is right. 

The liar thread.

I saw 10179 at Target. There was a picture of it on my phone.

Lonely Mountain is online only now at target as stated on their site. When they first came out, I did see a few at the Christiana target.

O so if it's on target website it's true. The creative house has been online only for awhile..... Completly untrue.

Target stock..... Unreliable.

As the op stated lonely mountain is still available right now at some targets. Does not matter what a website says.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Brickpicker mobile app

Edited by hxckid88

O so if it's on target website it's true. The creative house has been online only for awhile..... Completly untrue.

Target stock..... Unreliable.

As the op stated lonely mountain is still available right now at some targets. Does not matter what a website says.

I'm sure its available wherever people say they have seen it. Just saying they aren't restocking it back in stores once its gone from there.

• Like 1

I'm sure its available wherever people say they have seen it. Just saying they aren't restocking it back in stores once its gone from there.

gotcha. I didn't mean to come across as condescending on that one. My point was I just hate when others call others out on here on a deal just because they couldn't find it or something. Then they get put in there place and silence.
  • Like 2

1. Don't feed the trolls, right? mscheaf has far too many intimate issues with Walmart to be mistaken about what he saw there!

2. Lonely Mountain was in Target before Christmas around here, but of course it is not any more. I'd guess they got just one or two shipments and then stopped putting it in stores. It still can be found in a few local TRU and of course Lego B&M.

3. Seals stamped 05R5 are the most recent I have seen, and that was just today.

4. I predict great things for this set within five years, even at the currently off-putting MSRP buy-in.  It is of course the "other" iconic Hobbit set, along with Unexpected Gathering (which most people seem to have loved even though it kinda took forever to go away). I would wager a good portion of Smaug's hoard that there will be many less dragon lairs produced than hobbit holes in the end. Probably less than ToO, too. Think about it!

I'm not into lotr or Hobbit at all so please someone correct me or educate me pertaining to the below for a counter point.

My issue and big hangup and it pertains to your number 4 grynn is what lotr or hobbit set has done well? I think generally speaking the theme has done poor.

Is this set not a perfect comparison to helms deep.....which hasn't exactly lit the world on fire?