Selling Lego on Amazon.com

Deeker

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

Just updated my formulas to calculate the net fees I paid over the last 4 years on various platforms and am a bit shocked to see the numbers:

image.thumb.png.22a9368d09afcb35b483f3a71e00a132.png

This is including Shipping Fees and Platform Fees. My Ebay listings are mostly free shipping, there are a few FBM listings at AMZ but most of it is FBA. All fees include PayPal where applicable (EBay, BL & BO).

That's quite a large percentage of my gross revenue (selling price + difference between shipping charged and actual shipping costs) taken by uncle Jeff.

Can someone corroborate my findings?

40.20% on Amazon seems too high if most of your sales are through FBA. My number on Amazon FBA is around 25%. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joesnow2005 said:

40.20% on Amazon seems too high if most of your sales are through FBA. My number on Amazon FBA is around 25%. 

1 hour ago, odysea11 said:

I am running at approximately 31%....4 year average also

Are you including FBA shipping costs, Inventory storage fees (only short-term in my case) and the like? That's where it goes from ~30% to 40% in my case (actually, the real number is 39%, not 40.2% as I had a doublecount in the numbers somewhere).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Phil B said:

Are you including FBA shipping costs, Inventory storage fees (only short-term in my case) and the like? That's where it goes from ~30% to 40% in my case (actually, the real number is 39%, not 40.2% as I had a doublecount in the numbers somewhere).

My FBA fees run around 30% all-in.

Mine are ~24%. The average breakdown for the 6 mo 2019/2020 holiday season is:

Received Storage Fee Inbound Shipping Fees  
97.98 0.53 1.26 21.10 23.37%

I do both FBA and FBM, and only send things in to FBA that I'm confident I can sell through in 6 months. 

Just updated my formulas to calculate the net fees I paid over the last 4 years on various platforms and am a bit shocked to see the numbers:
image.thumb.png.22a9368d09afcb35b483f3a71e00a132.png
This is including Shipping Fees and Platform Fees. My Ebay listings are mostly free shipping, there are a few FBM listings at AMZ but most of it is FBA. All fees include PayPal where applicable (EBay, BL & BO).
That's quite a large percentage of my gross revenue (selling price + difference between shipping charged and actual shipping costs) taken by uncle Jeff.
Can someone corroborate my findings?

How are your BrickLink fees so high? I’m only paying 3% + 2.9% PayPal.

Lots of small orders. Paypal's $0.40 minimum is 10% of a $4 total shipped order.

I tried that my first year and ended up abandoning a no limit selling structure on BL. It isn’t worth my time to complete so many small orders. I found Putting in a reasonable minimum order threshold of $5 and specifying a shipping fee of something reasonable like $1 for packaging worked well for me though I am only small time completing about $1200 in sales last year.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Phil B said:
6 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

How are your BrickLink fees so high? I’m only paying 3% + 2.9% PayPal.

Lots of small orders. Paypal's $0.40 minimum is 10% of a $4 total shipped order.

FYIW. For the last 7 years I’ve had $10 minimum order no lot limits and charge commercial base rate + $0.60 first class +$0.30 priority.

ive had no complaints about price of shipping nor, other than once or twice per year, the minimum order. The small extra charge covers packaging materials, labels etc and the PayPal per transaction fee.

most often that price is lower than counter price.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Foreman Porgy said:

PayPal micropayments works ok. $.05 plus 5% of total order. 

Over ~8 years of selling, having a micropayments account probably saved me several thousand dollars in fees.   It's a bit of a pain to set up with PayPal (you have to open a second account then call them to switch it to micro), but both BL and BO platforms support the alternate payment account for totals <~$12 so once its done you never have to think about it.

• Like 2

I've never seen this before.

An FBA customer gets a refund for reason "Delivered Late by Carrier".

The customer never returns the item, and Amazon never automatically reimburses me.

I open a case to ask about the reimbursement, and Amazon tells me "We don’t reimburse for refunds issued by non-Amazon entities."

Has anyone encountered this before? What "non-Amazon entities" are being referred to here?

• Confused 1

The customer never returns the item, and Amazon never automatically reimburses me.

I open a case to ask about the reimbursement, and Amazon tells me "We don’t reimburse for refunds issued by non-Amazon entities."

Has anyone encountered this before? What "non-Amazon entities" are being referred to here?

Sounds like they filed a chargeback with their credit card company? Maybe?

9 hours ago, Jackson said:

Yes I had the exact same issue a month ago , a lot of back and forth that led to no where , I eventually just let it go . 

13 hours ago, Jackson said:

I have one of these cases open too. I'll update if I receive a resolution.

32 minutes ago, Jackson said:

also at gamestop for $12 lol.  https://www.gamestop.com/toys-collectibles/toys/construction/products/lego-harry-potter-quidditch-match-75956/11095557.html

like you said - so called exclusive.