Selling Lego on Amazon.com

Deeker

I have a tax related question. If you make sales during the last two weeks of December 2018 but get paid by amazon in January 2019, what year do you pay taxes for those sales? Tried to figure this out by looking at amazon’s reports but failed miserably.
It depends on the accounting method that you use. If you use cash accounting, you report the income when you receive it. If you use accrual, you report it when you make the sale. Im assuming you use the cash method so you would likely report based on when the income appears on the tax statement Amazon gives you at the end of the year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pete411 said:

I have a tax related question. If you make sales during the last two weeks of December 2018 but get paid by amazon in January 2019, what year do you pay taxes for those sales? Tried to figure this out by looking at amazon’s reports but failed miserably.

5 hours ago, exciter1 said:

I personally only count the transaction when the payment hits the transaction statement.

Depends on accounting method.

Edited by mizeur

1 hour ago, redcell said:

It depends on the accounting method that you use. If you use cash accounting, you report the income when you receive it. If you use accrual, you report it when you make the sale. Im assuming you use the cash method so you would likely report based on when the income appears on the tax statement Amazon gives you at the end of the year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

Yes. I care about what amazon reports to the irs. So is amazon reporting those late year sales for 2018 or 2019? That’s my main question.

Just now, FM said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for boxes for FBA shipments?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

Uline/HD/Lowe's all work just fine. I would go with the cheapest. Also call local  box manufacturers , they might be able to give you a better price.

I know some folks here like the thicker wall boxes, but I've never had any issues with the regular ones. 

1 minute ago, FM said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for boxes for FBA shipments?

As in boxes to send stuff in to Amazon for FBA?

I mostly use Lowe's moving boxes. I get occasional custom dimensions from ULine. But most of my stuff I do with the Lowe's stuff. Heavy Duty may be safer too, I use it occasionally. But mostly use the standard.

As in boxes to send stuff in to Amazon for FBA?
I mostly use Lowe's moving boxes. I get occasional custom dimensions from ULine. But most of my stuff I do with the Lowe's stuff. Heavy Duty may be safer too, I use it occasionally. But mostly use the standard.
Yep. I'm using Home Depot double-wall with big bubble wrap for small and mid-sized sets, but the longer boxes ($60+ RRP) leave me wondering. And the moving boxes from HD are more cube like and I'd have to stand sets on end. Is that what you do? 1562275249843.jpeg

Interesting situation that I was curious if one of the Amazon pros could enlighten me about...

Sold a 10197 Fire Brigade via FBA last Dec 2018 (6 months ago) for $440 to an international buyer in Europe.
Two weeks ago I get an Amazon refund notification for it with a reason of "general adjustment" for which they then charge $378 (my net of $360 + shipping/admin fees) to my account/credit card.

Since these general adjustments are usually customer goodwill that Amazon reimburses for, I decide to wait instead of opening a case.
Today, I see an inventory reimbursement for it in my account for a paltry $116.

The kicker is that I also see a Fire Brigade added to my sellable inventory.

So I received a FBA  inventory reimbursement and it was also actually returned? 

If so, I'm thinking I should pull it because it might be severely beat up after travelling overseas and back. 

In the past, I have had "general adjustment" refunds for international sales that were never actually charged to me but have never had one actually returned. Figured it was because an international return is a major hassle and Amazon just let it go since it would not be worth the effort.

20 minutes ago, grackleflint said:

Interesting situation that I was curious if one of the Amazon pros could enlighten me about...

Sold a 10197 Fire Brigade via FBA last Dec 2018 (6 months ago) for $440 to an international buyer in Europe.
Two weeks ago I get an Amazon refund notification for it with a reason of "general adjustment" for which they then charge $378 (my net of $360 + shipping/admin fees) to my account/credit card.

Since these general adjustments are usually customer goodwill that Amazon reimburses for, I decide to wait instead of opening a case.
Today, I see an inventory reimbursement for it in my account for a paltry $116.

The kicker is that I also see a Fire Brigade added to my sellable inventory.

So I received a FBA  inventory reimbursement and it was also actually returned? 

If so, I'm thinking I should pull it because it might be severely beat up after travelling overseas and back. 

In the past, I have had "general adjustment" refunds for international sales that were never actually charged to me but have never had one actually returned. Figured it was because an international return is a major hassle and Amazon just let it go since it would not be worth the effort.

Think you answered your own question: remove it and inspect. It's an expensive enough set it's worth the effort; removal costs are low. Ship it back in if it checks out. As to why you may have got inventory and a small reimbursement: who knows. Hopefully it's not because the set is wrecked.

Edited by chrisynd

Received a negative feedback on a “never received, grandson unhappy” FBA shipment. Used Feedback Manager to get the feedback removed (as it was FBA so not my fault). 24hrs later my ODR still shows the negative ... is this normal or do I need to take additional action to get the ODR hit removed?

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

Received a negative feedback on a “never received, grandson unhappy” FBA shipment. Used Feedback Manager to get the feedback removed (as it was FBA so not my fault). 24hrs later my ODR still shows the negative ... is this normal or do I need to take additional action to get the ODR hit removed?

that's odd.. usually it's automated for FBA orders.

21 minutes ago, HappyHawkeye said:

Is there anything that can be done if you get this message? Have sold & am currently selling plenty of Lego sets on Amazon, just got shot down on one particular set.

• You are not approved to list this product and we are not currently accepting applications.

what set is that ?

26 minutes ago, HappyHawkeye said:

Is there anything that can be done if you get this message? Have sold & am currently selling plenty of Lego sets on Amazon, just got shot down on one particular set.

• You are not approved to list this product and we are not currently accepting applications.

Send them an invoice from one of your suppliers for that specific set, along with a message stating that you are ungated in the Lego category, and ask the reason you aren’t allowed to list. 

• Like 1

I'm new to selling LEGO on Amazon (and selling on Amazon in generally, really) and have a question about creating new listings. Everything that I've sold up to this point has been using an existing listing, but I don't see any existing listings for the 41636 & 41637 (Brickheadz #/5000 from Target). I have a bunch of these that I'd like to sell, but I'm not really sure the proper way to go about getting the listing created on Amazon.

Is anybody interested in helping me out by either creating the listings or providing some guidance on the best way to go about it?

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

I don’t think you can sell LEGO on Amazon if you’re new to it as they gated it to newcomers the other year. 

I am ungated and can sell LEGO (have sold a few so far). I just don't know how to create new listings for sets that aren't currently listed.

Just now, skinsfan0521 said:

I am ungated and can sell LEGO (have sold a few so far). I just don't know how to create new listings for sets that aren't currently listed.

inventory > add a product > create new product listing > choose category . follow prompts and fill in essential tabs/add pic. not that hard once you did once . 

50 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

inventory > add a product > create new product listing > choose category . follow prompts and fill in essential tabs/add pic. not that hard once you did once . 

So, here is the message I get when I go through that process. Like I said, I went through the ungating process for LEGO and can list any LEGO set that I've come across so far, so I'm not quite sure what this means. Any thoughts or suggestions?

You may not create new ASINs for this brand. You are free to add offers to any existing ASIN for this brand. Please review our ASIN Creation Policy here: https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/201844590. If you believe the product you want to sell is not already listed in the Amazon catalog and should be listed as a new ASIN, contact Seller Support at https://sellercentral.amazon.com/hz/contact-us and mention error code 5461.

I'm OK with contacting seller support as they suggest, but I don't want to open a can of worms since I obviously don't have manufacturer/distributor invoices for these items.

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, DadsAFOL said:

LEGO has gated ASIN creation. Most sellers, even ungated are not allowed to create with that brand.

That would make sense with what I'm seeing.

Is anybody on here able to create ASIN for LEGO and interested in doing me a favor and creating the listings for 41636 & 41637??

35 minutes ago, skinsfan0521 said:

That would make sense with what I'm seeing.

Is anybody on here able to create ASIN for LEGO and interested in doing me a favor and creating the listings for 41636 & 41637??

Usually you need to create it with a different brand name and then immediately edit the listing and change the brand to Lego once it goes live.  That is how it works for a lot of toy brands when you try to create a listing.  Has happened to me when creating new listings for Barbie, DC Comics, etc. also.

• Like 1