Lego crimes

jaisonline

Probably dummy cameras but most likely a couple of static pin cameras there too hooked up to a four display screen not hooked into the recording hard drive. Working retail this theft is common like Kashmir sweaters in winter or coach purses. Although it's always ballsy to shoplift from Walmart their LP is pretty cowboy.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

This story made my local NZ paper.  Hardly ever see Lego in the news here.  So I followed the byline that took me back to the original story that was actually from the Telegraph in the UK.  So here it is if you guys want a read.  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11053507/Thieves-target-Lego-sets-as-value-soars.html

Nothing really that new in there.  Interesting to see the wider coverage though.  Publicising the value of Lego could have two effects, more thefts , and more investors...

Hi,

I found this very interesting, but wasnt sure where to post this thread.

Feel free to move it.

A pair of back-to-back Lego heists last week exposed a flourishing trend in the criminal underworld that's been quietly building for years. Stolen Legos are as untraceable as cash.

For more, click on the link tot he article.

http://www.vocativ.com/underworld/crime/lego-heists/#!bKM3vd

• Like 1

Hi,

I found this very interesting, but wasnt sure where to post this thread.

Feel free to move it.

A pair of back-to-back Lego heists last week exposed a flourishing trend in the criminal underworld that's been quietly building for years. Stolen Legos are as untraceable as cash.

For more, click on the link tot he article.

http://www.vocativ.com/underworld/crime/lego-heists/#!bKM3vd

I just read the same article. I sure wish these writings wouldn't make everything sound so easy and profitable. And they wonder why there are more incidents. FFS. Might as well title the article "FREE CASH!" Money in the bank. Lord.

Thanks to the thebrickfan for sharing the article on Facebook.

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-phoenix-metro/north-phoenix/police-4-arrested-in-organized-retail-theft-of-legos-40000-in-toys-stolen-from-phoenix-toys-r-us

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Police: 4 arrested in organized retail theft of legos; $40,000 in toys stolen from Phoenix Toys R Us

PHOENIX - Phoenix police have recovered an estimated $200,000 in Lego products, and arrested four people, during a months-long retail theft investigation.

In the 4 1/2-month investigation, police discovered that Garry Fairbee and Tarah Dailey, both 35, stole multiple Lego play sets from many Phoenix area "Toys R Us" stores, according to Officer James Holmes, spokesman for the Phoenix Police Department.

Each of the play sets taken were valued at $100 or more, according to police.

Faribee, Dailey and another 34-year-old woman would then sell these Lego sets to a 40-year-old man who would either sell them online or try to return the products at the store for a refund.

Holmes said police obtained search warrants for each of the suspects' homes and storage lockers and recovered 18 pallets, or three cargo truck loads, of Lego products.

Police estimate the toy stockpile to be worth $200,000, which at least $40,000 is believed to have been stolen.

The four individuals were arrested and booked into jail on Thursday, Aug. 14, on multiple charges, including organized retail theft, trafficking in stolen property, fraudulent schemes and illegal control of an enterprise.

Yeah I have seen this. Apparently this one and another on the east coast makes this a growing trend according to the media.

• 3 months later...

The theft of hair isn't really new, I think I recall hearing about people stealing Tide or other laundry detergents before, and unfortunately the downside of Lego increasing in popular also raises the amount of interest for thievery by either the unscrupulous or persons who just want. It does seem stores that carry Lego products do watch the aisle more closely than before due to this which hopefully will help with reducing sliced open boxes or collectable minifigure packets.

• Like 1