Lego crimes

jaisonline

Thanks to the thebrickfan for sharing the article on Facebook.

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-phoenix-metro/north-phoenix/police-4-arrested-in-organized-retail-theft-of-legos-40000-in-toys-stolen-from-phoenix-toys-r-us

post-3743-0-45540200-1408157754_thumb.jp

Police: 4 arrested in organized retail theft of legos; $40,000 in toys stolen from Phoenix Toys R Us

PHOENIX - Phoenix police have recovered an estimated $200,000 in Lego products, and arrested four people, during a months-long retail theft investigation.

In the 4 1/2-month investigation, police discovered that Garry Fairbee and Tarah Dailey, both 35, stole multiple Lego play sets from many Phoenix area "Toys R Us" stores, according to Officer James Holmes, spokesman for the Phoenix Police Department.

Each of the play sets taken were valued at $100 or more, according to police.

Faribee, Dailey and another 34-year-old woman would then sell these Lego sets to a 40-year-old man who would either sell them online or try to return the products at the store for a refund.

Holmes said police obtained search warrants for each of the suspects' homes and storage lockers and recovered 18 pallets, or three cargo truck loads, of Lego products.

Police estimate the toy stockpile to be worth $200,000, which at least $40,000 is believed to have been stolen.

The four individuals were arrested and booked into jail on Thursday, Aug. 14, on multiple charges, including organized retail theft, trafficking in stolen property, fraudulent schemes and illegal control of an enterprise.

Based on the sets shown in the pictures, they have been doing this for at least 2 years.  I know some of the sets were EOL'd more than 2 years ago, BUT older sets tend to stay a while at TRU ;)

Only a fifth of it was stolen? Must of been resellers who got really greedy.

Most likely the value of newer sets that can be traced back to TRU inventory. The older sets (like those Dino HQ) were most likely no longer in TRU's system, so they would not be able to confirm if those were stolen from TRU

its mentioned that "Each of the play sets taken were valued at $100 or more, according to police."

i don't understand on how people can steal or walk out with those big sets? they have to go through the cashier line right? and those big sets always have the security key/wrap around it no? 

also what does not makes sense is they try to return back? so TRU takes back return without receipt? how can one return without the proof of purchase?

I would guess the move would be to stick 1 or 2 more sets in your cart than you tell the cashier, then return the extras a couple days later using the receipt for the couple that you paid for.

Most big sets near me have that spider security device so I guess they only bought sets that didn't have those.