Lego crimes

jaisonline

One more here, if it has not been already mentioned in the forums:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2014/08/15/police-200000-legos-recovered-4-people-arrested-abrk/14143047/

May start a Lego crime thread soon, always interesting for me to read about the things they will try to exploit the brick.

Edit: Sorry, have just found the other thread about this particular crime. Mods, please feel free to delete this post.

Edited by kishidan69

That Phoenix stockpile was pretty hot, I could see a bunch of Pirates of the Car ships, Dino Defense HQs...

More and more stories like this make me more nervous of my own collection. And of course, as more people catch wind of the value, etc etc... Gah.

Yeah I think its only gonna get worse.  Think of all the peeps out there right now not getting busted

An except from a news story, "The rest of the Legos may have been purchased legitimately, or obtained fraudulently. Evidence from this investigation shows only $40,000 in stolen merchandise."

Looks like this reseller tried to make more profit by buying stolen products in addition to his normal purchases to resell.

Funny that his eBay account states,  "This seller is currently away, and is not processing orders at this time. You can add this item to your watch list to purchase later."

Just got back from my local walmart and they now have signs in the lego isle that there are video cameras to decrease theft and keep prices low.

It would be interesting to know whether they added only the signs, or also the cameras.

I wonder how many of those hidden cameras even are that or just mocks put up to scare off crooks. Most of their positioning in Walmart doesn't make sense and they would need one rather enormous room to put up the monitors to utilize them all at any given time. Whatever it may be, anything that could potentially stop or at least cut down stealing is a good thing. I for one get tired of seeing torn open boxes with the contents spilling out from being gutted.

I doubt it will keep prices low though. I don't know how anyone could walk out with this year's Police Station unnoticed yet the price has been increased by $10 at both Walmart and Target around me for no good reason.

I wonder how many of those hidden cameras even are that or just mocks put up to scare off crooks. Most of their positioning in Walmart doesn't make sense and they would need one rather enormous room to put up the monitors to utilize them all at any given time. Whatever it may be, anything that could potentially stop or at least cut down stealing is a good thing. I for one get tired of seeing torn open boxes with the contents spilling out from being gutted.

I doubt it will keep prices low though. I don't know how anyone could walk out with this year's Police Station unnoticed yet the price has been increased by $10 at both Walmart and Target around me for no good reason.

Working in the surveillance field, I can attest that many visible cameras are dummy cameras.  Many also give off blinking lights to appear authentic.  It's all about deterrent...and not catching the person in the act of doing something wrong.

• Like 1

I'm guessing that the dealer that has the storage unit will probably get a slap on the wrist and be forced to give up the stuff he bought that was definitely stolen.  Other than that, I can imagine it'd be really difficult to prove that he knew they were stolen.  Unless the dummies like that lady at the Lego store straight confess to the entire crime implicating the buyer.  Time to lawyer up...or better call Saul.