Tracking Weights of Sets

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Weighed my Brandenburg Gate and two Trevi Fountains this weekend.  They were all over weight  but the two TF's were quite a bit over weight when comparing them to the weights listed on bricklink.  The BG was 23 grams off which isn't too much but the TF's were over by 67 and 68 grams.  That's almost 2 1/2 ounces.  I got these from Target on clearance.  They look like returned online orders.  The seals look perfect though....nice and tight with no evidence of being tampered with.  The one thing that does give me a little peace of mind is that both TF's pretty much weigh the same and they are the same set.  If they were both way off in weight from each other than I would be more concerned. 

I always worry later on when I sell a set that someone will complain that the set is incomplete and will want their money back.  Thankfully most of the sets that I have weighed have been pretty much spot on.

Does anyone have set 9493? Do you know what weight you have? I have 2 sets, 1 at 907 grams and 1 at 905 grams and since coming from Walmart, I do not trust that they are complete.

That is the X-wing, correct?  On bricklink it is listed as being 842 grams.  Yours are over by 65 and 63 grams which is a bit over 2 ounces.  How do the seals look?  Do they look like they have been tampered with?  Since it's over weight I think you might be okay. 

Weighed my Brandenburg Gate and two Trevi Fountains this weekend.  They were all over weight  but the two TF's were quite a bit over weight when comparing them to the weights listed on bricklink.  The BG was 23 grams off which isn't too much but the TF's were over by 67 and 68 grams.  That's almost 2 1/2 ounces.  I got these from Target on clearance.  They look like returned online orders.  The seals look perfect though....nice and tight with no evidence of being tampered with.  The one thing that does give me a little peace of mind is that both TF's pretty much weigh the same and they are the same set.  If they were both way off in weight from each other than I would be more concerned. 

I always worry later on when I sell a set that someone will complain that the set is incomplete and will want their money back.  Thankfully most of the sets that I have weighed have been pretty much spot on.

but thats how super glue looks though... try to start peeling off the seal from the edge and see if a chunk of the box comes off with the seal.  if it does... superglue.

but thats how super glue looks though... try to start peeling off the seal from the edge and see if a chunk of the box comes off with the seal.  if it does... superglue.

Does the weight difference that I described sound a bit fishy to you?  I don't want to mess with the seals becuase I don't want to mess up a perfectly good set if there is nothing wrong with it.  I tried looking up pictures on the internet to see if there are any examples out there of reglued boxes but I didn't find any.

I don't want to risk keeping these if I can return them and get my money back within the alloted time allowed for returns.

Weighed my Brandenburg Gate and two Trevi Fountains this weekend. They were all over weight but the two TF's were quite a bit over weight when comparing them to the weights listed on bricklink. The BG was 23 grams off which isn't too much but the TF's were over by 67 and 68 grams. That's almost 2 1/2 ounces. I got these from Target on clearance. They look like returned online orders. The seals look perfect though....nice and tight with no evidence of being tampered with. The one thing that does give me a little peace of mind is that both TF's pretty much weigh the same and they are the same set. If they were both way off in weight from each other than I would be more concerned.

I always worry later on when I sell a set that someone will complain that the set is incomplete and will want their money back. Thankfully most of the sets that I have weighed have been pretty much spot on.

Maybe they're ok but if someone returned one why couldn't they have returned two? If they're both over by a large amount maybe they refilled with something else (the same something else in both). I have no horse in this race. Just saying.

Maybe they're ok but if someone returned one why couldn't they have returned two? If they're both over by a large amount maybe they refilled with something else (the same something else in both). I have no horse in this race. Just saying.

I'm thinking of opening them to see and then if they are fine just sell them as new with an opened box later on. I hate having to break the seals though. They look fine.

Although, two and a half ounces over weight does seem a bit much to be over. I don't have any sets over by that much.

Edited by legodelorean

Do the seals have the same serial ?

If yes, 23g off is a problem.

If no, 23g or even 67g is not.

Because sometines the instructions and packaging are different.

Take a look here:

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/10779-70816-bennys-spaceship-spaceship-spaceship/page-2#entry309492

So before doing anything: check if the seals are the same or not.

Edited by biniou
  • Like 1

Do the seals have the same serial ?

If yes, 23g off is a problem.

If no, 23g or even 67g is not.

Because sometines the instructions and packaging are different.

Take a look here:

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/10779-70816-bennys-spaceship-spaceship-spaceship/page-2#entry309492

So before doing anything: check if the seals are the same or not.

Hmmmm.....that is interesting.  I will need to check when I get home tonight.

I do have two Empire State building sets with me that I had bought off of ebay and they were both over weight as well.  One by 21 grams and the other by 22 grams.  And yes, these both have 20R4 seals on BOTH seals.  I never paid attention before, but is there only supposed to be one set of numbers on one seal and the other should be blank?  I never checked that on my sets from LEGO Shop at Home.  I'll do that and compare when I get home.  If that is the case, that is good to know and it will make spoting sets that have been tampered with easier.

I had also bought an Ecto-1 along with my Empire Building sets and that only had one code on ONE seal and the other seal was blank and when I weighed it, it was spot on. 

Thank you, Biniou!

What changed your mind? :) Do you know if having codes on one seal is standard and if you find codes on both seals then that is a red flag? I have never paid attention to that detail before. I'm gonna check all my sets now.

I didn't realize that sometimes they can have the cardboard (or not). If it was me, I would buy another one (or weigh another one) from somewhere else with the same seal code.

I didn't realize that sometimes they can have the cardboard (or not). If it was me, I would buy another one (or weigh another one) from somewhere else with the same seal code.

Problem is, I bought these (Empire State) sets on ebay and the others on clearance at Target.  Not sure how I could find an exact one and compare.  I'm still waiting to hear from Biniou if the standard is that the code is printed only on one seal and not both. 

Edited by legodelorean

IMHO the blank tapes only mean that when lego has sometimes less printed seals than expected to seal their sets, their employees in the factory do use some blank tapes (half blank / half numbered).

"Hey Miguel, can you go get some more weekly tape please ? I'm running short of it"

"Ok Fernando, seal boxes with half blank tape and half numbered while I'll get some other"

That's all...

(see my post below)

I'm still waiting to here from Biniou if the standard is that the code is printed only on one seal and not both.

I didn't realized you asked me to check. :)

I'm in europe so obviously it's not the same compared to the USA (not the same factories).

I don't remember ever seeing a blank tape on my boxes, but it means nothing. I only weighs my sets.

As far as I can remember the "standard" here is 4 numbered seals on a box.

(see my post below)

Edited by biniou
  • Like 1

Problem is, I bought these (Empire State) sets on ebay and the others on clearance at Target. Not sure how I could find an exact one and compare. I'm still waiting to here from Biniou if the standard is that the code is printed only on one seal and not both.

Oh, my bad. I thought these were all from that time @ Target. I would definitely open one. I'm not saying to, just that I would.
  • Like 1

IMHO the blank tapes only mean that when lego has sometimes less printed seals than expected to seal their sets, their employees in the factory do use some blank tapes (half blank / half numbered).

"Hey Miguel, can you go get some more weekly tape please ? I'm running short of it"

"Ok Fernando, seal boxes with half blank tape and half numbered while I'll get some other"

That's all...

I didn't realized you asked me to check. :)

I'm in europe so obviously it's not the same compared to the USA (not the same factories).

I don't remember ever seeing a blank tape on my boxes, but it means nothing. I only weighs my sets.

As far as I can remember the "standard" here is 4 numbered seals on a box.

Yeah, I know Europe and the US are different so sets and certain things won't be the same. 

So just to clarify, your seals usually have the packing codes on both seals usually?  I guess I kinda got confused when you said if the sets were over weight by a lot and the code was on both seals and not one then that would be fishy.

Thanks for getting back to me....I appreciate it! :friends:

I've checked again and I'm very surprised because some XXS4 sets I own have half numbered/half blank seals, and some other sets (75021 republic gunship for example) only have... blank seals ! So I can't say when they have been produced (but I got them on summer 2014 online so I guess they are recently produced sets).

I never noticed that. I focused on the weight...

I guess there have been some changing in the "way to seal" for the sets produced on 2014.

Thanks for getting back to me....I appreciate it! :friends:

My pleasure, even if I'm not sure it was helpful...

FWIW when I sell a set, I always sell the lighter (if condition of the box is ok).

So if there's a problem (missing piece and the buyer doesn't want to contact lego to get it and just want to mess with me), I could be able to solve it, opening an heavier box (it never happened but it could be a way to help keeping a 100% profile on ebay).

Edited by biniou

My pleasure, even if I'm not sure it was helpful...

You were helpful.  I was just confused because I thought that you meant that the codes should only be on one seal and not both and if they are on both and over weight then that is a red flag.  I guess codes on both seals is not an indicator of something fishy going on then.

Well, I checked one of my Trevi Fountain sets that were 2 1/2 ounces over weight. It killed me to cut the seals but I had to know if it was tampered with or not even though the seals looked perfect. Everything looked fine when I opened it. All the bags were sealed and nothing was loose. I'm not sure if all the bags were there since they weren't numbered and I didn't investigate further to see how many bags come in the set. Since the other set I had was within one gram of the one I opened, I'm gonna guess it's all good.

Now I'm debating on opening one of the Empire State Building sets to see if it's okay but that was only over weight by 22 grams. I don't want to start opening sets because I'm paranoid about the weight.