Tracking Weights of Sets

Not usually unless I want quicker money. If you devalue your own set, how can you expect others to not devalue it?

i dont want to devalue a my sets. I want to get the most out of it.  i just thought open sets tend to be at a priced lower. Its not a bad idea to open and confirm everything is there before i sell it and if it doesnt lose value for open box

Yes. Never ran into anyone that cares. I obviously will say its open box - but verified contents is pretty nice. No change in profit.

I value your knowledge 100% but sellers need to be careful opening a set and posting the item as new on eBay. I lost an opened case that was because their definitely is unopened, unused item. Usually not a problem but if the seller gives you a fit, eBay will side with the buyer.

To answer op I have weighed many sets if I think they are off or if in buying sealed sets from cl.

Oddly enough I have quite a large collection of sets spanning many years. That said I have yet to weight one haha. when buying though I always give the box a shake, you know for that "Lego" sound, then check the seals. No issues yet. I collected for several years, took a couple year break, then got back at it. I`m sad I ever left, it was around that golden age with all the CCs and GGs and Batman/Indiana Jones etc stuff. 

I value your knowledge 100% but sellers need to be careful opening a set and posting the item as new on eBay. I lost an opened case that was because their definitely is unopened, unused item. Usually not a problem but if the seller gives you a fit, eBay will side with the buyer.

To answer op I have weighed many sets if I think they are off or if in buying sealed sets from cl.

This is true for sure. And I don't want to give the thought out it isn't.

My thinking is - I make it clear. Also when people open cases on ebay, they side with the buyer almost everytime anyway. So in reality its usually not a big issue.

Guest TabbyBoy

Quite simply any set that has been opened needs to be listed as USED as it's condition has changed from its original retail condition..  In the eBay world "New" means how it would appear on a retailer's shelf ie. with the seals still present and the box undamaged.  I don't know about the US but, UK buyers are anal aboul seals being 100% straight, boxes perfect and no labels whatsoever.  It seems like we just can't win.

Can't say as I've ever weighed a set, but I definitely check seals and flaps to see if they have been glued on anything brick and mortar and anything that comes from Amazon in case it was a return.  Don't buy much from ebay except figures generally.  Fortunately living in a small city in the midwest these issues tend to be more rare than you guys that live in a metropolis with all sorts of shady folks.

If you have opened a set to check the contents.then you can sell it as NIB (New In Box).also stating that the seals have been carefully opened to check the content.This does not mean it has to be described as "USED"

If you are selling this on eBay I would suggest reading over ebays policy as they are cut and dry about this. This puts the seller at risk for a guaranteed loss. What's to say you list it as new, ship it to the buyer, they remove the minifugures, open a "item not as described" case since the set was opened. What recourse does the seller have? How can you prove that set was all there before you sent it? The only thing you have is your word and we all know how eBay is with cases. The buyers are priority so don't get caught with this, I learned my mistake the hard way. I don't want anyone else having that problem or feeding misinformation to the new people of the forum.
  • Like 1

If you are selling this on eBay I would suggest reading over ebays policy as they are cut and dry about this. This puts the seller at risk for a guaranteed loss. What's to say you list it as new, ship it to the buyer, they remove the minifugures, open a "item not as described" case since the set was opened. What recourse does the seller have? How can you prove that set was all there before you sent it? The only thing you have is your word and we all know how eBay is with cases. The buyers are priority so don't get caught with this, I learned my mistake the hard way. I don't want anyone else having that problem or feeding misinformation to the new people of the forum.

I understand what you are saying.but the bottom line is that any buyer can say that parts/minifigures are missing.regardless,if you have put NIB,NISB,or anything else.If I'm going to buy a expensive set,from a seller on Ebay,then I would rather check the contents of the box,to see if all is there.It all comes down to honesty & trust.so far,touch wood,I have never been scammed by a buyer or seller.99% of Ebay users are honest & trustworthy.it's that 1%,who will take advantage,and try to pull a fast one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I checked a bunch of my sets and most are a bit over the gram count listed on bricklink. That is what matters right? If it's over it's okay but if it's below or too below that is a cause for concern, correct? Some of the Superman PowerLex sets I recently bought were like 17-20 grams over Bricklinks gram count. That's all good, right?

I checked a bunch of my sets and most are a bit over the gram count listed on bricklink. That is what matters right? If it's over it's okay but if it's below or too below that is a cause for concern, correct? Some of the Superman PowerLex sets I recently bought were like 17-20 grams over Bricklinks gram count. That's all good, right?

I'm sure the sets are fine. 20 grams is less than 1 ounce.

Sent from an iPhone using the Brickpicker app

• 4 months later...

Am trying to write an article about the LEGO boxes but I need some information I can't seem to find on internet.

I try to establish how much an average empty LEGO box weighs.

So if someone has a kitchen scale (i just seperated and my ex took mine) that can weigh an average box (500-700 pieces) for me, I would be grateful.

Thx.