Tracking Weights of Sets

Thanks guys.  I think I will just make it 4 oz just in case.  I noticed bricklink has weights for just the figs.  Each fig is around 4 grams. 

Whenever I weigh standard figures they are always between 4&5 grams. Simpsons figures with their special head pieces may weigh a bit more; maybe 6-7g.

So for 4, including packaging maybe 40g total max ~1.5oz

• 1 month later...

I have a question about set weights in the box. I bought a T1 from Amazon and the box is in ok condition but the tape is a little loose. I know this happens due to handling of the box but it always makes me nervous. I decided to weigh it and compare to the weight of another T1 that is minty fresh. The one from Amazon weighs 8 grams less than the minty one which is .3 ounces. Anything to be concerned about? What is normal fluctuation in weight between the same sets? What would cause them to be slightly different?

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

Don't worry about it. It is only a 8 gram difference. The only thing I can think of that would cause this type of weight difference if the set is missing (or has an extra) piece. But with that difference, I would guess that there is only one missing or extra piece.

Depending on the size of the piece it could actually be several pieces missing. I weighed some smaller pieces and several add up to 8 grams. I don't think it could be missing an entire bag. It's just strange that two sets would have that difference. I weighed two Sail Barges and there was a 2 gram difference. I didn't try any others. It could be the placement of the bags in the box.

I think that I recall reading something about LEGO releasing an updated set that has a few additional pieces to reinforce the roof?  If that is the case, maybe you just got one of the old batch? 

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/12808/piece-count-change-in-10220-vw-camper

I would bet that this recent purchase has a piece count of 1332, vs. 1334 for your others?

I think that I recall reading something about LEGO releasing an updated set that has a few additional pieces to reinforce the roof?  If that is the case, maybe you just got one of the old batch? 

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/12808/piece-count-change-in-10220-vw-camper

I would bet that this recent purchase has a piece count of 1332, vs. 1334 for your others?

Interesting. I will check the piece counts on the boxes. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Question for those who weigh their sets to ensure all the pieces are accounted for and nothing is missing in a sealed set. What deviation do u allow before taking a set back and getting a refund on account all pieces are probably not accounted for? I have a few republic gunships which I rather not open but the deviation on each box I have is anywhere from a few hundredths to a tenth of a pound off.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Brickpicker mobile app

Question for those who weigh their sets to ensure all the pieces are accounted for and nothing is missing in a sealed set. What deviation do u allow before taking a set back and getting a refund on account all pieces are probably not accounted for? I have a few republic gunships which I rather not open but the deviation on each box I have is anywhere from a few hundredths to a tenth of a pound off.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Brickpicker mobile app

I would think more than 3 oz.would be a cause of concern for me.

I had a T1 that was off by 3 oz from other ones I had and I just didn't have a good feeling about it. I returned it.  That might not sound like much but go and weigh some small pieces on a scale and you will see that even that small of a difference could add up to several pieces missing.

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty much what the title says. I was hoping a fellow BPer would be willing to weigh one of their CC's in its box for me. I think I found a too good to be true craigslist ad and I feel like other than giving the box a thorough look over, weighing it before I buy it would be a good secondary measure to see if it's legit.

I wanted to know how many of you here actually weigh your sets.  I have bought a few here and there from Amazon, eBay and Target, and I wasn't sure if I should be weighing them.  I'll probably pick up a small scale to be safe but I wanted to see how much of the community here weigh purchased sets religiously.

I guess the other question would be how much can a set be off before alarms start going off?  I trust getting sets from LEGO Shop at Home but other internet sites or brick and mortar Target stores worry me a bit.  I get worried about sets being tampered with and I would hate to sell a set later and have there be a problem with missing pieces.  Thank you all for your input.

I rely more on closely inspecting all the seals on a set I get from B&M stores.  I weigh them if I am suspicious and then open them if it seems off.  So far the only sets I have found tampered with have had seals that I could tell had been retaped.  A minifigure only weighs 3 grams which is too small a difference to be sure that something is off by weighing alone.  Every set I have opened under suspicion of tampering has been missing minifugres and I returned them all, so I haven't had to worry about selling an open box later.