42000 - Grand Prix Racer

wintersun

From?

Trade?

I don't have them all anymore, but I still have a few. I got a decent amount of them last year and not being near EOL I cashed in at Christmas for $130 a piece.

Amazon UK twice, and Meijer had a killer sale on them where I got 4 for 72$

Although this is a tough comparison given the difference in release dates, the 8461 Williams F1 Team Racer is very similar to 42000 in size and shape, albeit with a license. The price guide has the Williams going for $400 NISB. FWIW-

Yeah I really think this one will be a nice gainer. I am worried I should have kept all the others but I made good money flipping the majority of them. Still have a few though.

Yeah I really think this one will be a nice gainer. I am worried I should have kept all the others but I made good money flipping the majority of them. Still have a few though.

I have a feeling we'll see it again on Amazon UK for $80-90. I have my credit card ready...

• 2 months later...

I think that this set will do well. I don't know how many of you got a chance to look at the 2015 leaked catalog before it disappeared but there was a green and white really cool looking race car that seemed to be in close scale with this one. Personally, I love these cars(still yet to get one) but if lego keeps cranking these out, I think that they may do well for all technic super car collectors.

• 4 weeks later...

The Grand Prix Racer will retire end of 2014.

It's still available on LEGO Shop at Home here; so if the stock survives to Xmas, I think we'll see some discount on january/february with 30 or even 50% off on that set, and then get the "retired" tag quickly.

But it doesn't mean that you'll not be able to find it in online shops (TRU, etc.) within the next 2 years...

I don't think it's a good seller, mainly because of the lack of any licence (lego excepted :P ), I just hope I'm wrong.

Edited by biniou

Guest TabbyBoy

I bought my 5x 42000 when I saw them half price at John Lewis. I was the only one that seemed to buy any that day which says it all really. For a while now, I've avoided Technic and will not buy Crane 2 or Volvo until -40% and lesser sets will be ignored. Techic seems to perform better in the US than UK these days after EOL.

Even the 8109 has dropped back to close to RRP recently on eBay UK so sellers could now make a loss after fees.

Guest TabbyBoy

What's the annual flagship and how do I spot it?

(Is it the crane thingy?)

I'm guessing that it's the 42030 Volvo L350F judging by the highest price and it being remote controlled. Since it's Volvo licenced, I'll buy this over the 42009 Mobile Crane MkII very time but, not until it's under

The 42000 is slowly disappearing in the UK. Yes, it is widely available here and there and many retailer will keep the price low for a long time to get rid of the remaining stock. It is an awesome set, one of them i received as a present and I am planning to build soon. It is great value for money in my opinion.

On the other hand side what people are saying here is true. Mid range technic sets do not grow in value as much, that could be for various reasons. Even the Unimog, which is amazing grows sooo slow. Its been gone a year and only increased with

The 42000 is slowly disappearing in the UK. Yes, it is widely available here and there and many retailer will keep the price low for a long time to get rid of the remaining stock. It is an awesome set, one of them i received as a present and I am planning to build soon. It is great value for money in my opinion.

On the other hand side what people are saying here is true. Mid range technic sets do not grow in value as much, that could be for various reasons. Even the Unimog, which is amazing grows sooo slow. Its been gone a year and only increased with

What's the annual flagship and how do I spot it?

(Is it the crane thingy?)

It's the one biggest $150-200 Technic set released (in August) every year, like the Unimog, 4x4 Offroader, Mobile Crane and Volvo Loader. Those do alright after retirement. The others do mediocre to absoluely unpredictable at best. The one advantage here is, that you can buy them for 30% off several times during their lifespan - meaning you're making your profit the moment you buy them. The question is what comes after that - in regard to most of the non-flagships I would say: not much.

I heard people say the lifespan of Technic is predictable. How so? Is there a thread that explains someone can point me at?

I don't think that there is a thread for that, but from the previous Technic sets, most of the small to medium sized sets last about 2 years, and then the larger sets last anywhere from 2-3 years.

I don't think that there is a thread for that, but from the previous Technic sets, most of the small to medium sized sets last about 2 years, and then the larger sets last anywhere from 2-3 years.

Is the 42000 considered a medium set? Or is it the small end of the large sets?

Is the 42000 considered a medium set? Or is it the small end of the large sets?

Depends on who you ask. I would place it on the smaller end of the large sets. For me, anything with over 1,000 pieces is considered a larger set for Technic. A medium set is from 500 to 999, and a small set is anything below 500.

• Like 1