42000 - Grand Prix Racer

wintersun

I think this set will do rather well upon retirement. It has a very nice overall design that is close to F1 racer car that is THE most popular motor racing sport in the world. It has been a while since lego made such a technic car, and it may be several more years to the next one.

that's more than 30% growth yoy. Very good by any standard. I dare say better amongst the top 20 percentile of all lego sets. Someone do correct me if I am wrong.

Dont get me wrong. It is Technic that got me into lego and i love the technic sets above all. Well, together with the Star Wars themes. But in simple investment terms, comparing to FB, which retired the same time as the Unimog here in Europe, the FB doubled its own price six months after retirement while the Unimog struggles to go north of

Dont get me wrong. It is Technic that got me into lego and i love the technic sets above all. Well, together with the Star Wars themes. But in simple investment terms, comparing to FB, which retired the same time as the Unimog here in Europe, the FB doubled its own price six months after retirement while the Unimog struggles to go north of

Personally I think the Unimog will do just fine. Just do not sell them now. For Xmas alot of them will be sold to end users. So they will be more scarce afterwards. Then I project a growth spurt. I will keep my three until 2016 at the least. Same story with the FB. We have to wait till the amounts on sale are gone. It takes time. I like the F1 car quite alot. But what it is lacking is a license. If it would have a license with BMW/Ferrari it would be a no-brainer.

• Like 1

I agree. I often read on here that something is a "bad" investment just because it has not immediately doubled in price a few months after EOL. Real returns often take years. To see how Technic is performing look at the sets that EOLed in 2010-11.

I think the FB will rise slow next year. This year has been effectively stock dumping.

Similar with 9474 which EOLed in Feb. No real upward movement until June with Sep showing the biggest monthly jump.

• Like 1

Interesting to see. As said above, I am aware of all the facts concerning investment in Technic so I need no convincing. I am not playing the Devil's Advocate role :)

One set to mention as an example though, the Crane Truck 8258 which is awesome by the way. Few years from retirement and its still struggling to raise from low

Interesting to see. As said above, I am aware of all the facts concerning investment in Technic so I need no convincing. I am not playing the Devil's Advocate role :)

One set to mention as an example though, the Crane Truck 8258 which is awesome by the way. Few years from retirement and its still struggling to raise from low

This model got me out of my dark ages - not cause I really wanted it but because it was 40% off at a supermarket who were already selling it for 20 euros less than MSRP and that just seemed like too good to pass on,

The set has plenty rare/exclusive parts (tyres, new hubs, suspensi

It will be interesting to compare how it does after EOL with the VW Camper as they are both in the same price range and also suffers from over supply.

Although they're both in the same price bracket you can't compare apples with oranges. The VW first of all is a lego creator theme, the other one is technic. They also appeal to completely opposite people/builders/characters. One of them is for people who just like building general stuff out of bricks, the other is for car nerds and petrol heads. One is cute, the other is serious because race cars are serious. The 42000 is also linked to Motorsport and would appeal to boys into cars, adult car guys...and Technic fans in general. While the VW may even be bought by some old lady who has no interest into cars, but the camper van reminds her of the old days when she was a hipster and travelled around Europe with no care listening to the Mamas & Papas etc ...

They're both great but targeted to completely different customers...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...