42000 - Grand Prix Racer

wintersun

I normally always skip the technic. But this one got my attention. It's one the best set I've seen, but I've not seen a lot of technic, so I'm not sure it's a real "wow set". And I can buy it at 20% off, and I'm not sure if should buy it now or wait, since technic seem to sell slower

I was just flipping through the new Lego catalog and this set caught my eye as well. I wouldn't buy it now unless you really, really want to build it. This set is brand new and will probably be discounted more later down the road, then again 20% off $200 is $160, which is a pretty good buy. Kind of a toss up in my opinion but I'd hold off for right now. Worst case scenario you'll be able to find it for 20% off later down the road.

I thought it was only $129?

It is, sorry I saw just looking at the motorized excavator that EOL'd this past year, it was $200.

Actually the cool thing about that was that you didn't seem all that shocked about writing that it was a $200 set...

I thought it was only $129?

It is, sorry I saw just looking at the motorized excavator that EOL'd this past year, it was $200.

Actually the cool thing about that was that you didn't seem all that shocked about writing that it was a $200 set...

It's a Technic set, I don't follow/know a lot about Technic sets, they've never been my thing. But doing some research as we speak. I really like the Unimog truck, it's $200 and a cool set IMO.

Yeah you'll have plenty of time for more BOGO or other discounts later down the road with this set. I think it's cool that you have use power functions to power it, I wonder how fast it goes? Or if it's comparible to the speed and handling of an RC car?

Yeah you'll have plenty of time for more BOGO or other discounts later down the road with this set. I think it's cool that you have use power functions to power it, I wonder how fast it goes? Or if it's comparible to the speed and handling of an RC car?

If my 4x4 Technic is any indication, it would move about the same speed as a roomba vacuum. Maybe between 1-2 feet per second? Of course, it all depends on the gearing so this could be designed for a marginally speedier outcome. Still no where near an RC car though.

If my 4x4 Technic is any indication, it would move about the same speed as a roomba vacuum. Maybe between 1-2 feet per second? Of course, it all depends on the gearing so this could be designed for a marginally speedier outcome. Still no where near an RC car though.

Ahh disappointing....

That sucks!! Why can't LEGO make a fast one for once?

That sucks!! Why can't LEGO make a fast one for once?

Right!! A fast RC speed car would be amazing! It's only a matter of time I think. Years from now we could see remote control Lego helicopters, etc. I guess we shouldn't be too picky right now, afterall Lego blows away all other building toys out there.

I like this one too...almost bought it to build.

I bought this one at 20% off and I have been building it in the last few days. It is absolutely fun experience.

This will be a winner in the long run.

The only disappointment is that the power function appears to only work on open / close engine cover and change the angle of the spoilers. I therefore did not buy the power function.

I'd like to see a detailed/accurate MOC of any these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrrell_P34 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_312T#312T6 or my favorite weird Formula 1 car: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabham_BT46

Just FYI, Lego did make a fast RC car a while back, due to its speed, it relied on a few large custom parts for the chassis and special drive motor sections for the rear wheels. It wasn't stupid fast but it had pep and could move around the house pretty well, you can look it up, set #8473, a friend of mine has one. Personally, I mod the PF motor case with a high power motor from an RC car and power the unit with a stand alone LIPO battery pack. You then need to grease the moving parts with silicone lube and hope it doesn't tear itself apart. Lego plastic is very low grade compared to hobby RC car parts and doesn't stand up to much wear and tear. Your best bet at making a fast RC car would be to make it smaller, that way you are dealing with much less power overall of the same amount of speed/handling.

• 6 months later...

I bought this one at 20% off and I have been building it in the last few days. It is absolutely fun experience.

This will be a winner in the long run.

The only disappointment is that the power function appears to only work on open / close engine cover and change the angle of the spoilers. I therefore did not buy the power function.

I bought one 25% off and built it as well with my wife. It was great experience for the both of us.

I agree with that the power function applying only to DRS and the engine cover but I have seen mods of youtube where you could convert it into a remote control f1 car. I'll definitely give it a go when I have time (and the money of course).

Personally I think the collection/investment potential would not be high due to the fact that there was a ferrai f1 car released 5-6 years ago and when you do a comparison this certainly weighs down

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have just completed a full review on this technic set. See link below

http://www.brickpicker.com/reviews/review.cfm?id=1206

Given the "critical-ness" of myself I have to say I under-scored this set by about 0.5 of out 10 in rating. If you want to push its rating up I am more than welcome and happy to see it do so.

Some pics attached below.

post-28713-0-98139400-1381112271_thumb.j

post-28713-0-65214500-1381112298_thumb.j

post-28713-0-62356400-1381112330_thumb.j

post-28713-0-55443400-1381112388_thumb.j

post-28713-0-82769900-1381112421_thumb.j