Thread of Packaging Excellence

24 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

And I'm starting to think too many people think this stuff is worth more than gold... but without the understanding of how to pack it. Wrapped it in black plastic and slapped a label on it.

I'm also positive that my post office must be full of rabid hyenas. Found this on my doorstep yesterday.

image.thumb.png.02e263c09fc7b586a6569ca828bda117.png

image.thumb.png.947cf0fc71415b14d85ce7e76566ee3b.png

Thankfully the seller refunded immediately and asked for a few more pictures as he purchased postal insurance.

Rabid hyena is a requirement to get a job there from what I heard (special skill)

arent you ready to give up online lego buying yet? Lol

• 2 weeks later...

Found it never mind, BUT IF ANYONE HAS A LINK TO GOOD BIGGER BOXES that’d be amazing ?  thank u

Ive Tried to search but this thread is all I can find but I think at one point I saw somewhere where it had shipping size boxes for all size sets.  Thank you if you can help.  Trying to get the best box size for shipping my sets out. 

Edited by Mgip21

On 6/26/2018 at 3:16 PM, Lordoflego said:

Rabid hyena is a requirement to get a job there from what I heard (special skill)

arent you ready to give up online lego buying yet? Lol

We are getting close. This is a new one... the box literally was soaked in coffee. It was dry by the time it made it to me, and thankfully the seller wrapped the item on the inside of the box as well so it arrived in fine shape.

Due to the label being printed at the post office, and the label being soaked, it happened in transit by a wonderful USPS employee.

image.thumb.png.78946c230653a3b6a40485d25e315d4b.png

• Sad 1

We are getting close. This is a new one... the box literally was soaked in coffee. It was dry by the time it made it to me, and thankfully the seller wrapped the item on the inside of the box as well so it arrived in fine shape.
Due to the label being printed at the post office, and the label being soaked, it happened in transit by a wonderful USPS employee.

image.thumb.png.78946c230653a3b6a40485d25e315d4b.png
Starting to think you have an X that works for the postal service.
  • Haha 1

I have a serious gripe here.  I just got back into this after a year hiatus off and apparently Target, Legoshop, and Amazon are packing items like complete crap. About 40% of the sets ive bought had to be returned because of this incompetence.   Walmart however has been shipping items in awesome reinforced jet.com type boxes and all items arrive in pristine condition.  is this the same for everyone?

I have a serious gripe here.  I just got back into this after a year hiatus off and apparently Target, Legoshop, and Amazon are packing items like complete crap. About 40% of the sets ive bought had to be returned because of this incompetence.   Walmart however has been shipping items in awesome reinforced jet.com type boxes and all items arrive in pristine condition.  is this the same for everyone?

No.

Target seems to always send me store inventory with shelfwear.....security stickers on the big ticket items to make matters worse. Amazon and Legoshop send too many air pillows...killing the boxes with any pressure. Walmart has been 90 percent pristine boxes. So yeah..I feel ya.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

14 minutes ago, vexxet said:

I've had multiple issues of late with Walmart and Target putting items in boxes that are way too big with only a few air bags to try to make up the difference. Just had a Winter Train show up that looked like it had spent time in a vise. 

On 7/5/2018 at 12:00 AM, Mgip21 said:

Found it never mind, BUT IF ANYONE HAS A LINK TO GOOD BIGGER BOXES that’d be amazing ?  thank u

Ive Tried to search but this thread is all I can find but I think at one point I saw somewhere where it had shipping size boxes for all size sets.  Thank you if you can help.  Trying to get the best box size for shipping my sets out. 

Head over here to read up:

For larger boxes from local suppliers you can use: Lowes, Homedepot, UHAUL and Staples.
I use Staples.com for my smaller box sizes as I find their prices can't be beat. (free shipping to store)
ULINE has great high quality boxes, but are often cost prohibitive when compared to local options.

Edited by pstebbing
  • Like 1

A little off-topic not being a shipped package.

I'm starting to believe Walmart believes the damaged sets are worth more.
"Better double-spider this one!"
20180713_100111.thumb.jpg.0f35208dfe5194e123800574d787df64.jpg

I also have no faith that the added security means the set hasn't already been tampered with. (Taped w/ spider, decent one w/o):
20180713_095925.thumb.jpg.8ccbdd59b2cf76906b9cc203d1a58fb1.jpg

A little off-topic not being a shipped package.
I'm starting to believe Walmart believes the damaged sets are worth more.
"Better double-spider this one!"
20180713_100111.thumb.jpg.0f35208dfe5194e123800574d787df64.jpg
I also have no faith that the added security means the set hasn't already been tampered with. (Taped w/ spider, decent one w/o):
20180713_095925.thumb.jpg.8ccbdd59b2cf76906b9cc203d1a58fb1.jpg
It gets even better when the person checking you out can't get the spider to unlock and basically crushes the box in order to remove it. Had that happen with an At-At a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

• Like 2

5 hours ago, redcell said:

It gets even better when the person checking you out can't get the spider to unlock and basically crushes the box in order to remove it. Had that happen with an At-At a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

I just had that happen with a Friends Catamaran, I ended up telling her that I wasn't interested in the item anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody have a good way to remove sticker residue? I've heard about the trick of using a hairdryer to get the sticker to come off nicely, but it always leaves residue. For example, shipping stickers that have been attached directly to the box (thanks amazon) and/or WM clearance stickers added in the same way... Apologies if this has been covered already.

1 minute ago, southcollector13 said:

Does anybody have a good way to remove sticker residue? I've heard about the trick of using a hairdryer to get the sticker to come off nicely, but it always leaves residue. For example, shipping stickers that have been attached directly to the box (thanks amazon) and/or WM clearance stickers added in the same way... Apologies if this has been covered already.

Search for DIY Goo Gone recipes. Usually a mixture of baking soda or Borax and an oil. Best to test the recipes on a box you don't care about too much first before using it on one you do.

• Like 1