Thread of Packaging Excellence

On 12/1/2017 at 10:31 AM, TabbyBoy said:

Put some ear defenders on before cutting the cord and have a bowl of water to place the thing into until it dies. Some of these are connected to instore alarms and some have alarms themselves and are damned loud and will wake the whole street! A lot of these need a special magnetic key to undo so the only way is force.

Oh... also beware of those that can squirt ink all over the LEGO set and your clothing and furniture. If that happens, the insurance company won't help as you should've contacted the retailer first.

Sodding TRU, I might have known - idiots!

How do I know? From experience - don't ask!

See my post from last year when I got three spider-wrapped sets in an online order.

It's been a few days, so not sure if this advice is useful anymore, but maybe to future brickpickers who face this issue (unless TRU closes shop beforehand).

The white spiders aren't coming off easily. I took some rare-earth magnets to the two black spiders I received and was able to pop them, but never had any luck with the white spider.  I ended up carefully cutting it off with wire cutters -- ya, don't cut the wire itself as it is part of the circuit.  The plastic on the back is fairly soft.  The wires don't cross each other -- they go in and turn 90 degrees opposite each other -- so you can cut across the diagonal without cutting a wire if you cut the correct diagonal.

Some of the spiders will also set themselves off if you walk through the detector gates at the store.  So, you have the store alarm and the spider going off.  At least that's what I read.  So, after demolishing the white spider and tossing it in the trash, I took the other two to my local TRU.  Told their customer service folks what happened and offered to let them have them back, but they would have to come out to the parking lot and take them in themselves -- and deal with any alarms they might set off.

Their loss-prevention gal happened to be the one at the counter so she was happy to help.  She even seemed a little thrilled to get the spiders.  They were more modern than the white ones they used in their store, claiming "we don't even have these yet!".

They were also a bit surprised that the store that shipped them even got them out of the store.  I guess many of the stores have the detectors on all exterior doors -- not just the customer front doors as to prevent employees from walking some sets out.  Although how stupid would an employee have to be when they could just easily borrow a removal tool and take it off themselves.  Oh right!  REALLY STUPID!!!

Picked up my c&c order from George Asda yesterday, got it home to find this. Five sets, piled on top of each other with no support in the box. Stupid thing is the box was big enough for them to be standing up on the long side and they would have probably been fine. Predictably the bottom three were ruined, only the top two survived.

Spoke via email with CS who initially offered a £10 voucher, which they upped to £20 final offer, and I have been advised to return the three damaged sets back.

Anyone had any experience with George CS? Is this settlement acceptable do you think, how far have people taken this. Be nice to keep the damaged ones and get a refund as well, they aren't sellable in this condition.

IMG_9233.JPG

IMG_9231.JPG

IMG_9229.JPG

Guest TabbyBoy
32 minutes ago, Gary81 said:

Picked up my c&c order from George Asda yesterday, got it home to find this. Five sets, piled on top of each other with no support in the box. Stupid thing is the box was big enough for them to be standing up on the long side and they would have probably been fine. Predictably the bottom three were ruined, only the top two survived.

Spoke via email with CS who initially offered a £10 voucher, which they upped to £20 final offer, and I have been advised to return the three damaged sets back.

Anyone had any experience with George CS? Is this settlement acceptable do you think, how far have people taken this. Be nice to keep the damaged ones and get a refund as well, they aren't sellable in this condition.

Wow, I feel for you! That's very surprising and disappointing for George to do this, he deserves a slap!

It depends on what the set is as some are good for parting out, like train sets for example. You did the right thing sending these Friends sets back, I'd have done the same as there'll be no chance against the competition. I have a large order to pick up from George on 14DEC and I'll now inspect the contents before I leave and just return on the spot if I need to. I used to list sets on eBay as soon as C&C was ready, but I'd never risk it now. This is a serious problem across most retailers now and it's not just with LEGO products. It's as if people just don't care about their customers anymore.

Remember NOT to sign for anything that's delivered until you inspect the contents as the retailer could try to relinquish responsibility once you sign. TRU did this to me and it had to go to court. If the courier is too impatient to wait, you DEFINITELY need to check the contents. I always mention clearly on eBay that a signature means that the package has been checked for obvious signs of damage and has been accepted.

Edited by TabbyBoy

3 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Remember NOT to sign for anything that's delivered until you inspect the contents as the retailer could try to relinquish responsibility once you sign. TRU did this to me and it had to go to court. If the courier is too impatient to wait, you DEFINITELY need to check the contents.

They actually tried this? Cheeky bastards. I got a £20 gift voucher when my Brick Bank arrived damaged.

4 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I always mention clearly on eBay that a signature means acceptance of the item in the condition described.

You can say this, but that doesn't make it true. Reasonable opportunity to inspect contents does not occur when signing for a parcel.

Cheers chaps, Tabby good advice which I had already heeded thanks to the forums, nothing advertised unless it is 'in hand'.

Still think a £20 voucher is a bit tight though. Will think twice about using Asda c&c in the future for sure. Wondering if a further conversation at the returns desk might bear any more fruit.

Guest TabbyBoy
30 minutes ago, Gary81 said:

Cheers chaps, Tabby good advice which I had already heeded thanks to the forums, nothing advertised unless it is 'in hand'.

Still think a £20 voucher is a bit tight though. Will think twice about using Asda c&c in the future for sure. Wondering if a further conversation at the returns desk might bear any more fruit.

Absolutely. I'll never sell anything that's not in hand. That's why pre-orders on eBay annoy me as the seller has no guarantee of being able to supply the items and this has been my main reason for leaving negative feedback. Taking payment and then trying to buy stock is very wrong in my book.

You can try speaking to one of the Asda managers at your branch as they are allowed some discretion and may even let you keep the items and perhaps refund. You only have to ask! ;-)

I think Adsa should be good and I'm hoping that this is a one-off due to the crazy time of year when everybody is in a rush. That bloke, Jesus has a lot to answer for!

Guest TabbyBoy
42 minutes ago, Baragon said:

Not Lego related, but Target took my “crushed” tomato order a bit too literally.

a1941798eea4572216e8e7061fb5db9d.heic9ff6747cf617a89f9b43e9458bfa85ee.heic

Go back to the store and throw them at the manager to dent them some more!

I don't think it's even legal to sell these in the UK as any crease in a tin can compromise it's integrity and inner liner and hence cause food poisoning.

If TRU diversified into food, I would expect this!

The Black Friday Temple Of Airjitzu came in and very poor packing on amazon on this one. Slim large box with no packing material. Sure the set was pancaked. Seals practically off on one side and a hole in the middle of the box. Also a yellow sticker on the side.

Anyone else notice yellow stickers on there sets from amazon?

15 minutes ago, BillyBricks said:

Here is a good indication of where the level of effort is for TRU employees in charge of shipping out products in mid-December: 

20171213_193315.thumb.jpg.6ea8cef9e40a1dcfc474b6d7be14d5b4.jpg 

(Yes, that is crumpled wrapping paper that was used to "support" a LEGO set.)

I'm a glass half full kind of guy, so my initial thought was that they provided the wrapping paper for the gift ;)

Guest TabbyBoy
26 minutes ago, lazuli16 said:

I'm a glass half full kind of guy, so my initial thought was that they provided the wrapping paper for the gift ;)

Same here as they also tore the wrapping paper first to save little Timmy the trouble when he gets it for Xmas.

Sometimes I struggle to understand how once-great retailers have really started to cut corners where it matters in order to compete. It only makes more work for them due to the inevitable returns. Since I've been buying again, I always now collect (can reject on the spot) as I daren't risk delivery and then go through the hassle of returning in all. I'd have expected even worse from TRU to be honest.

Bricklink order from Europe: (2) 41178s were wrapped in 1 layer of small bubble wrap.  Somewherer between Europe and the US the box was crushed in from the top, and with nothing between the sets the bottom set with those "cool" beveled edges was pushed into the other box and both boxes have big creases up the middle.  I asked the seller prior to purchase about the condition and was told " perfect sealed condition. It could have very very minor imperfections of storage". If these were $20 sets, no problem- but for these, ugh.  I refused delivery- I probably should have accepted and contacted the seller, but I didn't want to accept them and let the carrier off the hook either.  I rarely buy sets on BL, so does anyone have any advice on my next step?  Thanks for any input!

20171218_154913.jpg

20171218_155418.jpg

20171218_155435.jpg

20171218_155536.jpg

Guest TabbyBoy

I've already bought 400x250x100mm boxes from this Amazon reseller and they've been good, especially for Ecto-1 and TBBT. I've just noticed that they also now do the "rarest size of all" which is 500x400x100 which is perfect for medium/large CITY sets like Spaceports and Volcanoes, thus:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3-Layers-Cardboard-500x400x100mm-Packaging-Shipping/dp/B076H4DBRD/ref=sr_1_296?s=officeproduct&ie=UTF8&qid=1513784613&sr=1-296&keywords=AmberBox

I've never seen anything close as cheap as 87.5p each for a box this size. A lot of box suppliers will offer a further discount if you purchase various sizes off them.

On 05/12/2017 at 7:29 PM, richiej1979 said:

Looks like Amazon direct to me. The box isn't too bad considering but still not 100% happy with it. 

The Amazon website seems to only allow me to send it back. Any idea how I can raise this with them directly to maybe receive compensation?

Call their customer services team on 020 7084 7915 ;-)

27 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I've already bought 400x250x100mm boxes from this Amazon reseller and they've been good, especially for Ecto-1 and TBBT. I've just noticed that they also now do the "rarest size of all" which is 500x400x100 which is perfect for medium/large CITY sets like Spaceports and Volcanoes, thus:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3-Layers-Cardboard-500x400x100mm-Packaging-Shipping/dp/B076H4DBRD/ref=sr_1_296?s=officeproduct&ie=UTF8&qid=1513784613&sr=1-296&keywords=AmberBox

I've never seen anything close as cheap as 87.5p each for a box this size. A lot of box suppliers will offer a further discount if you purchase various sizes off them.

Call their customer services team on 020 7084 7915 ;-)

Thank you, i've been after the V08 size box for ages, they really help to get these packages under 2kg.

37 minutes ago, Jackson said:

Love to still get LEGO sets from retailers shipped to me in a bag. Inevitable pancakes. Target and Amazon are the perpetrators this week. Will the bag shipping ever end? Guess not. It's been happening for years, despite an untold number of returns and complaints.

target and amazon have been rough this year.  even target pick up has been a disaster for me.  and in an even stranger twist TRU and Walmart have been nearly flawless....

On 12/14/2017 at 8:59 AM, BillyBricks said:

Here is a good indication of where the level of effort is for TRU employees in charge of shipping out products in mid-December: 

20171213_193315.thumb.jpg.6ea8cef9e40a1dcfc474b6d7be14d5b4.jpg 

(Yes, that is crumpled wrapping paper that was used to "support" a LEGO set.)

actually kinda makes sense, they probably have tons of damaged, or just unsold, rolls lying around.  more thought and effort than just throwing it in an empty box...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-aims-for-one-box-fits-all-1513765800

Amazon is trying to ship each order in one correctly sized package instead of multiple boxes, responding to rising shipping costs and consumers’ concern about the environmental impact and general nuisance of all that cardboard. That means adding bubble envelopes, tweaking algorithms and negotiating with manufacturers to make smaller packaging specifically for online sales, not store shelves.