Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - general discussion

Turtle Power!  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which intro/theme tune do you like best?

• Original from 1987-1996
    • Second from 2003-2009
    • Current from Nickelodeon
  2. 2. Do you like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle sets?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you think the sets will be good investments?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

The only place I have ever seen the TMNT sets are at the LEGO store itself, my Walmarts, TRU, Target, Sears, and Kmart do not carry them. Either it means they're really great sellers or that they sell so poorly they don't bother to stock them. I just think they're poor sellers to be honest.

My TRU and Walmarts still have the Lone Ranger sets, with one of the Walmarts having a decent amount of CTC's for only $49 a pop. Depends on which is better, already made product rotting on the shelfs or product not produced/on other store shelfs.

The only place I have ever seen the TMNT sets are at the LEGO store itself, my Walmarts, TRU, Target, Sears, and Kmart do not carry them. Either it means they're really great sellers or that they sell sp poorly they don't bother to stock them.

My TRU and Walmarts still have the Lone Ranger sets, with one of the Walmarts having a decent amount of CTC's for only $49 a pop.

79111 is selling for around $90 shipped, you could do well with those as a quick flip.

79111 is selling for around $90 shipped, you could do well with those as a quick flip.

I've bought two for my own personal collection, it was a great deal for the track. Flipped one for 85 local, so about 35 made back. I'll go back and get them when my pay arrives, if I miss out, oh well, if I get them, good for me.

I've seen some of them at a Walmart. I guess it was only a matter of time.

I'ld like to see them in stores, if they were I'ld buy them. It's the kind of thing that you'll buy but don't think you want to buy it until you see it in person.

I don't see anything spectacular about these sets.  There are tons of Shellraisers sitting on my Walmart shelves.  Selling very slowly.

However, the old TMNT sets will probably sell better once the movie comes out.  If the movie does great, that will give all the TMNT sets a boost.  If it fails, the old sets will be bought instead of the new ones by fans who loved the old show but not the new movie.  That being said, I am still not investing in these because there are better investments out there that have been proven to be winners.

I'm not real sure how one of the highest selling action figures and a franchise for over 20 years can be considered niche but I guess to each their own.  They had a TV show out recently, a movie in the works...    

I am not sure I'd write them off as a flop yet since none of them have even been retired.  

Maybe nich

I'm not saying you guys are wrong.  They MIGHT be a huge flop.  I am just playing devils advocate b/c it's still too soon to tell.  (I have also gone on record to say these will be successful...and they will be.   I have sold a ton of TMNT figures every Christmas.)  I actually hope no one is investing in these.

An imperfect measurement but here is something to go on...

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Toys-Games-Action-Toy-Figures/zgbs/toys-and-games/2514571011

agreed, they might flop, but the might catch investors off guard and provide huge returns.

The movie looks solid.  It is a Micheal Bay movie, so I can see it doing very well.  I am not a TMNT fan, but many people I know are and I can see this movie connecting with the older crowd who were fans as kids and the current generation of Turtle fans.  The sets are decent and could be very popular the latter half of this year.  This in no Lone Ranger movie or LEGO theme.  It has much more potential.

I'm not sure that a guy who would appreciate a michael bay movie would be ok to buy some legos.

edit: look at the Transformers movie and toyline. There were a lot of toys everywhere and now they are discountinued and nobody want them anymore (I'm not talking about the vintage toys). I would fear it became the same for lego TMNT (movie). Far too risky ton invest in, IMHO.

They've sold rather well in my area at the WalMarts.  I like the sets but wouldn't go too big into them as an investments.  The minifigure aspect worries me because with each set released, the turtle price is going to drop even further since there is very little rarity to them.  I don't think it will completely tank though as the sets I've explored have been pretty well put together and even though it's based on the newer show, they resemble the original movies a lot.  If only they could make the junkyard scene from Secret of the Ooze (Rahzar and Tokka minifigs anyone?) I'd go deep into my pockets for that.

If I ever see 79103 Turtle Lair Attack's for 50% off, I'd definitely get in on those.  I think that set has the most potential out of any of the turtle sets.  I bought one at a small 20% discount, built it and think it's a cool set.  Even though I'm a fan of the 80's TMNT, that set still had enough appeal to me as the lair is not specific to the new cartoon.

If I ever see 79103 Turtle Lair Attack's for 50% off, I'd definitely get in on those. I think that set has the most potential out of any of the turtle sets. I bought one at a small 20% discount, built it and think it's a cool set. Even though I'm a fan of the 80's TMNT, that set still had enough appeal to me as the lair is not specific to the new cartoon.

I'ld try pairing it with a set that has the other two turtles in it, most preferable with ones similar to the ones in the set.