Materials guide for LEGO selling & shipping including postage box sizes

Question about long term storage. Do most investors put the lego boxes inside shipping boxes and tape them up for long term storage? I've seen the pictures in the storage room thread, and it looks like many people don't. Instead they just line up the boxes on a shelf. But what about dust? What about accidental dings, scuffs and damage to the lego boxes? Wouldn't it be safer to box them all up so they're ready for shipping? Is there any concern about storing them in shipping boxes like are there any smells (what does kraft wrapping paper smell like after 3 years in a box) or spiders that can sneak in through the tiny holes in the corners?

Boxing up takes up space.

Dust or dings do not concern me and shouldn't for you either. Makes no difference on resell value.

I often sell items in pairs, especially friends and city sets. Impossible to box up beforehand.

What if a customer buys more then one item.

All depends on your business model and how you do things.

• Like 2

I normally package when I list the item for sale, that way I can get it out of the door quickly, plus I can weigh it out and get a good idea what shipping will be.

I would not imagine that many would be too terribly worried about a mint box unless they are a reseller themselves. I would think as long as it is sealed and all contents are sealed, you should be fine even if box has a ding or two.

Edited by Yinchuan

I normally package when I list the item for sale, that way I can get it out of the door quickly, plus I can weigh it out and get a good idea what shipping will be.

I would not imagine that many would be too terribly worried about a mint box unless they are a reseller themselves. I would think as long as it is sealed and all contents are sealed, you should be fine even if box has a ding or two.

I know I sell multiple items to the same buyers sometimes, as well as others.  I'll wait until they sell and then package & ship, just for this reason.

• Like 2

I never package in advance even when I sell on ebay. If you're selling in quantities more than one, you don't know if a buyer will order 2 or more until it happens.

I do store all my inventory in uhaul moving/storage boxes though. Mainly because I keep everything in my garage.

Edited by minicoopers11

If anyone needs packing and shipping supplies orders of $50+ on Staples.com qualify for 40% off using coupon code 85821.  I used it on an order last night and can confirm that it's working.  It expires on 3/21.  

Thanks, I needed some decent sized boxes to package medium size sets when I bundle stuff.  I ordered 50 - 20x16x6 boxes, which should make it much easier.

I just picked up a couple of 21 1/4 inch long Lego sets that I'd like to ship and have not been able to locate a box that will fit that length. Has anybody had any luck finding boxes of this size for a good price? I'd prefer to not have to buy 25+ of them to make it cost effective.

Measurements of the set are:

L 21 1/4" 

W 11" 

D 3"

I just picked up a couple of 21 1/4 inch long Lego sets that I'd like to ship and have not been able to locate a box that will fit that length. Has anybody had any luck finding boxes of this size for a good price? I'd prefer to not have to buy 25+ of them to make it cost effective.

L 21 1/4" 

W 11" 

D 3"

I use uline s-13324 24

L 21 1/4" 

W 11" 

D 3"

You essentially have three options.

1. Go to Target (or similar store) first thing in the am while employees are still stocking shelves and look for boxes that might work. (think Sterilite containers)
  2. Bite the bullet and order a bundle of boxes. (fyi you can order packs of 10 in certain size boxes. see store links in this post)
  3. Ask your local Pack ****** ship store what they will charge for a box & or to ship it. (pass expense on to buyer)
  • Like 1

Materials guide for LEGO selling & shipping

Many members have asked for a centralized place where they can go for shipping box information. I 'm going to pin this post and update it as new information is provided. I just want to take a few minutes and thank those who wrote the following articles. They are still very good reference materials for the LEGO storage and shipping process. I may develop this into a blog article eventually.

Fcbarcelona101's : Selling LEGO : Basic Materials Guide

Mos Eisley 's : LEGO Storage Wars

Incompetech's Catalog of Amazon.com Box Sizes - (thanks No More Monkeys)

I've scoured the forums and here is a list of box sizes with basic set information:

Boxes:

24x16x6 - 60052 Cargo Train, R2-D2, Maersk Line Triple-E, 7939 Cargo Train

24x16x4 - Helm's Deep, Vampyre Castle, Black Pearl, Friends Riding Camp, Parisian Restaurant, High Speed Passenger Train, Jabba's Palace

24x20x4 : Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, Imperial Shuttle, Haunted House, Palace Cinema, Fire Brigade

24x20x6 : Thicker sets like Town Hall, Tower Bridge

24x20x8 : Super Star Destroyer; Death Star

24x14x4 : Dolphin Cruiser, Coast Guard Patrol

24x4x12 - Dolphin Cruiser, Coast Guard Patrol

20x16x4 - Volkswagen Camper Van, Olivia's House, Sonic Raider, Sopwith, Creator Bike Shop, Batcave, Quinjet, Moria & Ambush

20x16x6 : Thicker sets like the Republic Gunship; City Cargo Plane

20x14x4 : Attack on Weathertop, Hulk 's Helicarrier Breakout, X-Wing 9493, Black Gate

16x16x4 : Gungan Sub, Pre Viszla, Tie Fighter

16x10x4 : Council of Elrond, Desert Skiff, City Grand Prix Truck

16x10x6 : Thicker sets like Creator Family House, Hillside House

15x12x4 : Funhouse, Orc Forge, Tumbler Chase, Daily Bugle Showdown, Hulk Lab Smash

12x12x4 : Uruk Hai Army, City Cargo Truck, Creator Treehouse, City Fire Emergency

11-3/4x8-3/4x4-3/4 : Wolverine Chopper, Arctic Batman, Power Armor Lex, Droid Escape, Cloud Cuckoo Palace

12x8x3 - Battle Packs, CA Avenging Cycle, Catwoman, Gandalf Arrives, Holiday sets

10x8x4 : Battle Packs, CA Avenging Cycle, Catwoman, Gandalf Arrives, Holiday sets

Envelopes:

4x8 : Minifigs & small polybags

6x9 : Polybags small & larger

10.5 x 16 : Larger shipments of 3 x polybags or more

Packing Tape : buy in bulk or on sale : you can throw some in during a Staples coupon promotion to get up to free shipping

Walmart.com Duck Brand Packaging Tape

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Standard-Grade-Packaging-Tape-Clear-189-x-110-yds-6-Rolls/product_380107

Retailers:

Uline.com : holiday sale starts first part of November (usually 30% off)

Staples.com : use coupon promotions - $10 off $30, $20 off $75, free shipping over $60

Walmart.com

USPS Priority Mail (free boxes at USPS.com)

Michigan Box Company:

Flat Boxes 18"-23" L  (thanks pstebbing)

GBE Packaging (thanks pstebbing)

PackingSupplies.com

http://www.packaging...ated_boxes.html     (thanks pstebbing)

Bubble Wrap:

3/16" thick x 350' ft x 12" wide - eBay

Sams Club

3/16" - 12"x240' $12.98 (In store) ($.05/LF) (thanks pstebbing)

I like to use large and small retailer plastic bags to wrap items in, even after I bubble wrap it.

For battle packs and even small sets, I sometimes use Wal-Mart, Target, or plastic bags from any store. Additional packing isn 't really needed. Usually like 2 bags on bottom, one to wrap the item, and two bags on top. Make sure to cover the corners of the item real nice to provide extra padding.

Rule of thumb : ship & pack all of your items the same way you 'd like to receive items you've purchased.

Shipping Paper:

Collect it when you receive shipments.

http://www.amazon.com/Pratt-Multipurpose-Packaging-KPR30241200R-Length/dp/B00AI652CM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408061459&sr=8-1&keywords=pratt+kraft+paper+1200?

Shipping Labels & Printers:

Dymo 450 & Dymo 400

Brother QL-700

DoNotInsertIntoMouth's : How to setup your label printer for shipping on eBay

DoNotInsertIntoMouth's - LEGO Investment Money Saving Tips

Feel free to post a follow-up or point out anything I missed. I 'll update it with what everyone wants added. I hope this is helpful. :thumbsup:

Hi exciter1. I was just reading your top post here and the first two links you have give me 404 errors and the last link for money saving tips also gives a 404 error.

• Like 1

Hi exciter1. I was just reading your top post here and the first two links you have give me 404 errors and the last link for money saving tips also gives a 404 error.

Thanks, I'll work with Jeff Mack tomorrow to see if I can locate them again.  They may have moved.

• Like 1

I use LIL Packaging in the UK. Their boxes are strong and come with compression test ratings.

https://www.lilpackaging.com/en/products/lil-box/G10-box - Unexpected Gathering, Battle at Black Gate, Coast Guard Patrol etc

https://www.lilpackaging.com/en/products/lil-box/G30-box - Helm's Deep, R2D2, Triple-E, Jabba's Palace etc

https://www.lilpackaging.com/en/products/lil-box/G40-box - Unimog, Cargo Train, Grand Emporium, Arkham Asylum

I fill any space with bubble wrap or packing paper. 

Also free delivery on orders over

Edited by Crustybeaver

I was wondering if anyone here could recommend a good brick&mortar store to buy flat boxes in the Netherlands? I've checked IKEA, Xenos andd few others, none of them really specializes in cardboard boxes, they'd usually have just a most classic dimensions, i.e. moving boxes...

Edited by Vinetu

Looking at purchasing some boxes with the Staples sale. Will the "Shipping boxes" provide adequate protection for the sets, or do I need "Heavy Duty boxes". There is an obvious large price difference, but when shipping out $300 sets, I would much rather do it right.

I prefer the staples boxes over all others. I've never had a problem with staples boxes & I've shipped over $2k packages.