Buyer asked me to open sets before shipping?

cobrakai

I had someone win several of my auctions and they sent me an ebay message asking to open the packages and put the sealed bags into Ziploc bags with the instructions, etc.  Then they wanted a combined shipping total into as small a box as possible and said they didn't want the lego boxes.  Seemed a little sketchy when I read it, but they have 1200 feedbacks and 100% positive.  Would this be safe to do?  I hate to open them all and then not get payment.

I've done this on bricklink plenty of times without a problem, both as a buyer and seller.  Ebay is a bit different, as the auctions were for sealed boxes.  If you keep the emails sent through ebay you should be fine though, as the buyer requested this to save on shipping.

I may be just a bitter seller, but the request to open the sealed bags and put the contents to ziploc bags got my spidey sense tingling.  Is that a fairly common request from ebay / bricklink buyers ? I have shipped sets without boxes before and in my experience the sealed LEGO bags do not add too much to the total weight.

I may be just a bitter seller, but the request to open the sealed bags and put the contents to ziploc bags got my spidey sense tingling.  Is that a fairly common request from ebay / bricklink buyers ? I have shipped sets without boxes before and in my experience the sealed LEGO bags do not add too much to the total weight.

Oooh... I didn't read the OP carefully enough, I didn't realize they wanted the sealed bags opened as well.  Yeah, that's a no go for me.  I will debox a set and sell just the contents to cut down on shipping, but I never open the bags on anything I sell as new.

*edit* lol... looks like Darth misread the OP...  they requested that the sealed bags be put into ziplocs....  carry on.

• Like 1

I have done this before as a buyer when the seller is charging outrageous shipping and I know it will fit in a small priority mail box for a third of the price. If I am going to build the set I will ask for a quote ahead of time for no box,instructions or stickers.

rule of thumb ... make them pay first .... after that youre ok ... i ask to do that sometimes too and as a seller i always offer that option for big sets as i do free shipping and every little bit helps!!!

Beat me to it :)

I would get the buyer to buy the goods first. You send them an invoice with the discounted postage (which you'll have to estimate - but if you are an experienced seller you should have an idea), wait until they pay, then de-box the items.

• Like 1

Strange.  Shipping in large part goes by weight.  Doesn't it?  For a lot of bags you're still going to need a box big enought to fit them all.  Can't be saving THAT much.

If you can get it into a flat rate box it can save quite a bit. And even non flat rate, if it's several of the larger sets the weight of the original boxes can add up to a couple pounds.

Strange.  Shipping in large part goes by weight.  Doesn't it?  For a lot of bags you're still going to need a box big enought to fit them all.  Can't be saving THAT much.

It goes by real weight, but also by size. And, as said, if you can get it into a flat-rate box, then the weight isn't important at all (thus, flat-rate).

Guest davewager78

Anyhow, don't throw away boxes.

Bend them carefully, and put them somewhere (they will not take a lot of place) so if 1 month later he changes his mind, you will still have them.

Or list them on bricklink when you're sure your buyer doesn't want them. Some people do even buy empty boxes

I suspect they use them to re-box sets bought as returns in damaged boxes, then sell them as boxed but opened