pets and lego displays

Guest brickcrazyhouse

Guest brickcrazyhouse

Our apartment is home to tons of lego sets on display and now two kittens.  our old cat had no intrestet in diplayed sets but young curiious kittens is another matter all together.  so far the only steps we've taken is to remove all minifigs and light post from the modular block.  it's only been 3 days and so far no problems.  they have tried climbing the eiffel tower ( got up to the 2nd tier) and have waked all over the falcon and tower bridge, with no pieces falling off. wondering what steps members have taken to pet proof their displays?the sets are our personal collection and 99% sure they will never be resold

Masking tape or scotch tape rolled up into rings with the sticky side out. Put that all over the "landing" spots that the kittens hit when they jump to where the models are. They won't like the stickiness and will find a new place to play.

You can speed this up by getting them some climbing posts and a bunch of kitty-legal toys (furry mice, balls with bells in them, etc.)

Masking tape or scotch tape rolled up into rings with the sticky side out. Put that all over the "landing" spots that the kittens hit when they jump to where the models are. They won't like the stickiness and will find a new place to play.

This reminded me about the time one of my cats as a child found some of those sticky mouse traps and got a handful stuck all over him. Poor thing was clanking all over the house. It was friggin' hilarious, bless the cat's heart. :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Have to be really careful with the sticky traps that are meant for rats -- if it actually gets stuck to a cat's skin, it'll tear the skin right off -- when it's only stuck to their fur you can just cut that bit of fur off to unstick'm.

Using just regular scotch sticky tape or masking tape, like Ms Frog mentioned is pretty good.  Though, one of ours isn't detoured by anything short of a squirt bottle with water...

Guest TabbyBoy

I would just put out a bunch of Legends of Chima sets...I'll bet they lose interest in lego all together.

LOL - I can't agree more.

• 2 weeks later...

My cat loves to play with just about anything and always steals pieces. It's fun to watch so I don't mind, he is just having fun. I wouldn't trade my cat for a maersk ship loaded with exclusives. Cats are the best =^.^=

My son-in-law has a few modulars, and the Hobbit Unexpected Gathering house on the counter between the kitchen and the living room. Our daughter's cat loves to climb up there and rub his face on the Hobbit trees. He knocks a few mini figures off the modulars, but has never knocked one over or destroyed anything. Unlike me, who knocked my old roommates UCS X-Wing off the top of my desk and lost several pieces of it.  :sorry: