Hello from Chicago

Hi, my name is Dan.  I have been back into Lego since late 2010, when my oldest child was nearly 5 and started to get into Lego himself.  Back then, I started to pick up clearance Legos which I mostly flipped in 2013 after holding 2-3 years.

More recently, and largely because of this site (been lurking since the fall), I have changed tactics from clearance Legos to mostly exclusive and larger sets.  Another factor is that I believe that it has become more competitive in the clearance section for Lego product.

Here's what I mostly have stashed from the fall and winter that have gone EOL:  Monster Fighters, WVC

Short term picks (what I have been recently stashing):  SSD, GE, 10220, R2-D2, TB, HH, Joust, PS, TH, Pirate Ship Ambush

Longer term picks:  Newer modulars, Disney Princess

Staying away from:  Chima, Ninjago, City (except trains), Galaxy Squad

Buying these only on deep discount:  LOTR (except PSA), Hobbit, Friends

Things my Lego Store manager told me recently:  SSD and GE are done, meaning there haven't been any on the trucks for awhile.  The sets he has to dust off the most are the LOTR/Hobbit sets. 

Hi, my name is Dan.  I have been back into Lego since late 2010, when my oldest child was nearly 5 and started to get into Lego himself.  Back then, I started to pick up clearance Legos which I mostly flipped in 2013 after holding 2-3 years.

More recently, and largely because of this site (been lurking since the fall), I have changed tactics from clearance Legos to mostly exclusive and larger sets.  Another factor is that I believe that it has become more competitive in the clearance section for Lego product.

Here's what I mostly have stashed from the fall and winter that have gone EOL:  Monster Fighters, WVC

Short term picks (what I have been recently stashing):  SSD, GE, 10220, R2-D2, TB, HH, Joust, PS, TH, Pirate Ship Ambush

Longer term picks:  Newer modulars, Disney Princess

Staying away from:  Chima, Ninjago, City (except trains), Galaxy Squad

Buying these only on deep discount:  LOTR (except PSA), Hobbit, Friends

Things my Lego Store manager told me recently:  SSD and GE are done, meaning there haven't been any on the trucks for awhile.  The sets he has to dust off the most are the LOTR/Hobbit sets. 

Hello from Detroit!  Since the Wings are not in the west anymore and you guys are still in the playoffs, I won't harass you about the Blackhawks ;)

Clearance is becoming competitive, almost have to be in the right place at the right time.  I was able to score some nice clearance deals, like when Target was blowing out sets at 70% off, but that's probably the exception and not the rule.  Online purchases are my best friend, just deliver the deals to my door  :thumbsup: 

Gotta take it with a grain of salt, but my Lego Store manager said that he didn't know if they were going to get any more SSD's in, and that GE was definitely here until the end of the year.

I think LotR will do fine, they haven't been retired that long.  They seem to creep up in value as opposed to a big spike.