Introduction and a dumb question about sales tax

Hey everyone.  Discovered this site about a week ago but have been hoarding lego sets for about a year now.  Doing it wrong in many ways as I am learning heh.

I've never been a guy who shopped online much other than buying things on ebay which of course no sales tax.  Ordering from LEGO Shop at Home and the lego store of course I get charged sales tax (and it stings as I live in a 9% tax area).  Today I ordered the rancor pit from yoyo.com and used a code (thanks to the awesome daily deal thread).  I thought well cool 15% off and that will kill tax and a bit more but much to my surprise I did not get taxed?  Why is that exactly?  Some sites charge you sales tax and some do not?  9% savings is pretty significant to me so yoyo.com just became a favorite.  Who else will not drop the tax hammer on me?

Thanks! 

Correct, if a company has a physical presence in your state then you will be charged sales tax. Sooner rather than later every online purchase will include sales tax. Slowly but surely every state will require this. For now it's based in the honor system as you still supposed to pay the sales tax on your own come the end of the year but many (most) do not.

Up - meanwhile the federales sit around and watch as places like Amazon and Ebay run local places out of business. Within ten years, no Kmart, Best Buy, Office Depot, Toys R us, Barnes and Noble, etc. will exist most likely. Along with the 1000s of mom and pop shops that can't stay in business.

Maybe we will avoid that, and some would argue its for the best, but It still could be fixed fairly easily: Make National online rate 6-7% and all businesses must collect it to give to the respective state. Done and Done (obvious simplification).