BRICKPICKER SITE UPGRADE 2.0

Ed Mack

Quotes are the same as they always have been. Same exact code. I use Chrome all the time. Make sure you clear out your cache. I have seen them work on Mac and PC in all the browsers.

That worked :)

One thing that would be a nice quick enhancement...when you key in a set number/name in the search box and it brings up the list (via AJAX?)...when you click/select a set it should actually take you to the page not just populate the input field with your selection. Cut out the middle man step and just have it go right to the detail page without having to hit enter, etc.

Thanks

Quotes are the same as they always have been. Same exact code. I use Chrome all the time. Make sure you clear out your cache. I have seen them work on Mac and PC in all the browsers.

That worked :)

One thing that would be a nice quick enhancement...when you key in a set number/name in the search box and it brings up the list (via AJAX?)...when you click/select a set it should actually take you to the page not just populate the input field with your selection. Cut out the middle man step and just have it go right to the detail page without having to hit enter, etc.

Thanks

Done.. You many need reload the page to get the updated code to get it to work. I didn't know hitting the submit button frustrated people so much :)

I have a problem with the BrickFolio. Not sure if it is just me or not. When I go to "View Lego Collection by Theme" then pick star wars (which has 79 sets) so it spans over 2 pages. The first page is all star wars but when I click on the "2" or "next", everything is mixed up. The link brings me to my entire collection, not the second page of my star wars sets. Any one else experience this?

I have a problem with the BrickFolio. Not sure if it is just me or not. When I go to "View Lego Collection by Theme" then pick star wars (which has 79 sets) so it spans over 2 pages. The first page is all star wars but when I click on the "2" or "next", everything is mixed up. The link brings me to my entire collection, not the second page of my star wars sets. Any one else experience this?

I just did this with the Collectible Minifigures and am also having the same problem. Wish I could offer a solution besides a criticism.

I just did this with the Collectible Minifigures and am also having the same problem. Wish I could offer a solution besides a criticism.

I am looking at this right now, and not running into this issue at all. I am not saying that it isn't happening, but I logged in under myself as well as Ed's collection and he has a large number of Star Wars sets. I kept going from page to page and it stayed as Star Wars the entire time. I will keep trying to see if I can replicate the error. Just let me know if it continues for you or if anyone else can confirm this.

Must be something to do with my browsers. I am using Firefox on both my laptop and desktop. The above problem doesn't show up on my laptop though. Not sure what settings or add ons that are different between the two.

Should have nothing to do with browsers, its just looking for the theme number in the URL.

I like the improvements. I like the cleaner format of the site a lot. One thing I miss though is sorting my Brickfolio. It wasn't the best before (sorted numerically instead of sorting by dollar value and only one page at a time), but it was better than having no sorting on the "Entire Brickfolio" page. I am thankful you retained the export to excel option. I can't wait to add some reviews. Is the intent to have them be all purpose reviews (playability, minifigs, parts, asthetics) with a slant towards investment possibilities, or just review how it stacks up investment-wise?

I like the improvements. I like the cleaner format of the site a lot.

One thing I miss though is sorting my Brickfolio. It wasn't the best before (sorted numerically instead of sorting by dollar value and only one page at a time), but it was better than having no sorting on the "Entire Brickfolio" page. I am thankful you retained the export to excel option.

I can't wait to add some reviews. Is the intent to have them be all purpose reviews (playability, minifigs, parts, asthetics) with a slant towards investment possibilities, or just review how it stacks up investment-wise?

The major part of this upgrade was to redo the foundation to make future changes possible. Although there were many things that were changed from a visual standpoint, there were many "backend" issues that were corrected and improved...most things a non web engineer, like myself, would ever notice. Adding the ability to change currency in the Brickfoilio, add custom sets, photos, descriptions, etc...were major changes. I'm sure there can be several types of sorting mechanisms added in later updates. What types of sorting do you want to see?

As for the reviews, I think it will be a great feature. Feel free to review the sets in any way you please, but I kind of look at it from an investment standpoint. Brickset and Eurobricks have plenty of quality reviews that discuss building the set and playability, but our site is about MONEY and LEGO bricks....how much they cost, what you should spend, how to save money and how to MAKE money from LEGO sets, so having reviews with a slight investment theme is optimal. For instance, there are many sets in which the build and playability of the set increases or decreases its popularity for example, so if a set is not popular for that reason, logic says the set will probably less valuable. So a relation between value and certain set characteristics, like build and playability, is possible. Minifigures can affect the value of sets immensely. As can asthetics and possible special parts/colors/lack of parts/excessive amounts of parts, etc.., so it all plays a part in the "investment value" of a LEGO set. I usually find that playable, buildable, and asthetically pleasing sets are usually the most popular and valuable, so take it from there. Jeff will be adding more features that focus on member reviews as soon as we have enough to make it worthwhile.

Thanks for your reply and please let me us know what type of sorting you are looking for.

What types of sorting do you want to see?

I would like to be able to sort the Brickfolio by which sets have increased in value the most. This way if I am determining whether or not to sell a set now, I can look at which ones are increasing in value the most and should be held onto, and which sets are leveling off and should be sold now.

I just did this with the Collectible Minifigures and am also having the same problem. Wish I could offer a solution besides a criticism.I am looking at this right now, and not running into this issue at all. I am not saying that it isn't happening, but I logged in under myself as well as Ed's collection and he has a large number of Star Wars sets. I kept going from page to page and it stayed as Star Wars the entire time. I will keep trying to see if I can replicate the error. Just let me know if it continues for you or if anyone else can confirm this.Okay it is working now. I have no idea why it was being such a butthead, but I remember the url shown when I placed the mouse over the "2" or "Next Page" button that it did not have the theme=26 in the link. Now it does and is working. I guess that's 'code' for you. It doesn't always work when it should.

By the way, I was wondering if there was going to be a way in the future to search for sets with a "Member Review"? Like in the price guide, under the "Sort By" category, there could be a "Set Review" option? And maybe on the front page, right underneath the "Recently Viewed Sets" area, there could be a "Recently Reviewed Sets" or "Recently Added Review"?

Just a thought for later down the road.

Oh, and I second bacon1986's idea.

I just did this with the Collectible Minifigures and am also having the same problem. Wish I could offer a solution besides a criticism.I am looking at this right now, and not running into this issue at all. I am not saying that it isn't happening, but I logged in under myself as well as Ed's collection and he has a large number of Star Wars sets. I kept going from page to page and it stayed as Star Wars the entire time. I will keep trying to see if I can replicate the error. Just let me know if it continues for you or if anyone else can confirm this.Okay it is working now. I have no idea why it was being such a butthead, but I remember the url shown when I placed the mouse over the "2" or "Next Page" button that it did not have the theme=26 in the link. Now it does and is working. I guess that's 'code' for you. It doesn't always work when it should.

By the way, I was wondering if there was going to be a way in the future to search for sets with a "Member Review"? Like in the price guide, under the "Sort By" category, there could be a "Set Review" option? And maybe on the front page, right underneath the "Recently Viewed Sets" area, there could be a "Recently Reviewed Sets" or "Recently Added Review"?

Just a thought for later down the road.

Oh, and I second bacon1986's idea.

Soon my friend...