Build or Keep

eferna

I have a lot of nice sets I would like to build, but at the same time I know that some of them would be worth a lot down the road. I would love to have 2 of each so I could build and keep, but my budget doesn't allow me to. 

What would you do if you were in my place and had the urge to build some of them? 

To prevent building them - don't look at them. Keep them packed in brown boxes, stored away etc.

To build some - buy a few sets extra to build and keep the remainder. For example instead of buying $200 in investments, buy $150 for investments and $50 for you to build. You can always recover the $50 later.

To prevent building them - don't look at them. Keep them packed in brown boxes, stored away etc.

To build some - buy a few sets extra to build and keep the remainder. For example instead of buying $200 in investments, buy $150 for investments and $50 for you to build. You can always recover the $50 later.

Find deals on used sets too. Then you can build them and sell them for profit unless you collect.

The best way to avoid temptation is to invest in sets you already have one of that you built. I often buy two of the sets I like. But if that is not possible, keep them out of sight. Preferably in other boxes, that'll also help keep their condition.

If you want to build more, you could also concider the parting out strategy. Buy a set, build it, sell the minifigures and parts for still a small profit and move on to the next. Beware, this probably won't work with every set. I have no experience with parting out, but it seems to wprk best with themes that are primarily minifigure driven e.***. Superheroes. They are often not very interesting builds thpugh.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Brickpicker

You only live once, have some fun! Seriously though, depending what they are, like modulars as an example, you'll lose some money but still make out pretty well in the end. Out of sight out of mind like others have said is probably the best way to go if you absolutely do not want to open them :)

I have a lot of nice sets I would like to build, but at the same time I know that some of them would be worth a lot down the road. I would love to have 2 of each so I could build and keep, but my budget doesn't allow me to. 

What would you do if you were in my place and had the urge to build some of them? 

Sometimes, opening a set can be a blessing in disguise. I have often ended up getting more $ for a set that I have opened & built to enjoy, than for the sealed ones of the same set that I sold (The Christmas/Holiday/UCS sets are great examples).

my philosophy since i like building sets with my son and sometimes w/o him (larger sets that are too complex for him).

if you want to build the set, it makes to usually (not always) sell your sealed ones and pickup a complete one w/o a box on the cheap.  there are always deals.  i did the latter w/ the PoTC ships, Star Wars ships, and Indiana Jones.    then sell the used sets once you are tired for a profit.

on the other hand, keep your sealed sets and buy a loose one.  then sell all of them (or some) when you want.