Question about an EBay sale

MarleyMoose

Long story short. I sold an item to someone who wants me to ship it to his brother at another address which he messaged me. What would you guys do? Doesn't this leave me without protection if I do since it's not going to the address on the order details? Thanks a bunch guys, Josh

Long story short. I sold an item to someone who wants me to ship it to his brother at another address which he messaged me. What would you guys do? Doesn't this leave me without protection if I do since it's not going to the address on the order details? Thanks a bunch guys, Josh

I would insist that it goes to the sellers address or don't bother. Save the hassle and headache?

For cheap items I would be ok if the buyer asked for it through ebay messages.

For more expensive items, I would say to the buyer "sorry, due to protection payment I have to send item to buyer's paypal adress or ebay adress, if I don't do that the package will not be insured, I hope you will undesrtand that. If you do not agree we can cancel the auction."

I would fear to receive a message like "my brother never received the item, refund me"...

Get them to add the address to their paypal account then cancel the transaction ( you get your fees back ) then relist the item under their username, they then search and buy and they can buy it again. The only way to insure full cover. Or you can gamble send it fully tracked and worse case scenario is you get your money back from the courier within 4 weeks if the item goes missing etc.

If it's a request through eBay messages, in theory you are protected by eBay (per eBay). I've never had to test that one.

In practice, I take these requests for low-price, low-fraud items but would draw the line at a large expensive LEGO set. In that case, I'd refund their PP payment and send them an eBay invoice specifying that they add the desired address to PayPal and show that as the shipping address (it's easy for a buyer to do, unless this is their first week on the intrawebz).

It doesn't have to be a "confirmed" PayPal address, so long as eBay and PayPal say you're covered (which they will when PayPal sends you the payment), you're fine.

• Like 1