The Lego Movie - Create & Combine designs

TheOrcKing

Lego has updated their minisite for The Lego Movie with a section called Create & Combine. Basically, it is an area for builds Lego has come up with that only use pieces from two different sets to make something new meaning it is quite easy to do these yourself. So far there is a total of six different designs, one of which is just instructions and a parts list. Anyway, you can see what the two sets needed for the combination are after downloading the instructions or just check out the attached images here.

Via The Brick Fan

12869994515_541dd3bf0b_o.png

12869997385_1a0144f367_o.png

12870427224_803fd04535_o.png

12870078943_6b53af9a4a_o.png

12869998535_811d2cdbb6_o.png

12870429344_1147283dbf_o.png

Guest eightbrick

Intriguing. I don't think that there is any other company in the world that can so elegantly package creativity in a box and sell it.

Gonna probably have to go see the movie. My Lego Movie stuff is seriously flying off the shelves.

THESE WILL BE GOOD INVESTMENTS. This stuff is selling faster than anything I have at the moment.

Are you saying... that you are a LEGO collector... and that you have never seen... The LEGO Movie???   :sick:

Gonna probably have to go see the movie.

Are you saying... that you are a LEGO collector... and that you have never seen... The LEGO Movie???   :sick:

I have not seen it yet simply because I want to actually see and hear the film which in theaters can be a real chore. Plus at the cost of a ticket anymore, I'm better off waiting for the DVD release to watch in the comforts of my own home. I also wonder what the exclusive minifigure to be sold with the special edition DVD shall be (assuming there even is one)?

I just thought of something. These combo designs are fantastic marketing gimmicks to sell certain sets. For example, I was already planning on purchasing the Legend Beasts anyway but not too sure about the Turbo Quad. I think it has great tires and perhaps a couple other things but nothing much to push it into my "must buy" zone. Now I see it combined with the Eagle Legend Beast and think "You know, that's pretty cool. Maybe I will get the Eagle Legend Beast and the Turbo Quad as well....Oh, I see now. Brilliant strategy there by coming up with an 'innocent' design of a nicely impressive stature to politely coerce the general creative consumer into buying more of your product let alone into a specific direction. Well played, Lego."

Really nice, but it's strange that the result of a combo seems to be a creation with LESS pieces than expected, at least for several of them.

A set made of 150pcs + set 180 pcs = vehicule 120pcs

I may be wrong but it looks that way. Disappointing.

Still I have to admit that the design of the 3 firsts sets are really cool. Nice to see a combo with small sets (small creator + small chima).

31017 + 70123 seems to be the best imo because it's a fusion between these two sets (and not only a new creation a 7 years old kid could have done), an improvement of set 31017 with pieces of another set.

I would like to see more chima legends sets used to improve other existing sets. It's cheap (9$) and the result is a nice looking new car... it reminds me 80's Extranimals, kinda. :)

This is really funny timing because I had this exact idea for a project for me and my son to do at home!

I started out thinking of making new creations with a single set, but realised that will limit the variation possible.  Looks like Lego have gone for quite different sets to combine here.

I'm thinking of combining Dino Defense HQ with The Bat Cave ... to make the Dino Cave?

Gonna probably have to go see the movie. My Lego Movie stuff is seriously flying off the shelves.

THESE WILL BE GOOD INVESTMENTS. This stuff is selling faster than anything I have at the moment.

great movie, i just saw it this weekend. I went to the 9pm showing and there was maybe 10 kids and 90 adults in the audience.

This is really funny timing because I had this exact idea for a project for me and my son to do at home!

I started out thinking of making new creations with a single set, but realised that will limit the variation possible.  Looks like Lego have gone for quite different sets to combine here.

I'm thinking of combining Dino Defense HQ with The Bat Cave ... to make the Dino Cave?

That's a great idea!  At one point the in the comic books the Batcave had a T-Rex in it--it was one of Batman's trophies.  I've never read the story associated with that so I can't explain why . . .

I love how the combos use Chima and Ninjago of course. Oh, you Lego.

I was just thinking that this would be a good way to sell some more obscure sets.  Release instructions for a cool design that includes one popular, common set that sold well has and one "junky" set.

Heck they should do instructions for buying two of set.  I've seen some cool castles that took two sets, a larger VC that took two sets, and a Turtle Lair that took two sets.

Agree on this being pretty cool.  And they use two separate Themes for each component set, which will possibly get people to buy additional sets in those Themes.  Except for the dimensional portal.  That one is probably to get people familiarized with Pick-a-Brick.  Because once you start picking up a couple pieces, next thing you know you've got $20 in parts.  I know I've been there...

• 4 months later...

So has anyone tried building one of these combo MOC designs? I know I really want to try out the Lion Claw MK VII and the Hydro-Turbo Sky Ray intrigues me although I have a different idea in mind as to a design blending the Tow Truck and Thunder Raider together. I must say that after getting back into the rhythm of building these past couple of months and eyeing ideas like this, I have some combo creations (combations?) of my own I would like to brick out.