TRU Rewards

BrickLegacy

I received my first rewards coupons in the mail today.

Two $5 rewards that expire on 3/15/14 and another two $5 rewards that can be used from 3/16/14 - 3/31/14.

Is this normally how they send out rewards?  You have to use them within a two week window?  That seems really lame.

My January Rewards were good to 2/28/14 about 1.5 month window from when I got them. My Feb Rewards were good for two weeks after I got them. (3/15/14)

Every time I get them they have random ending dates, sometimes super quick sometimes longer. I don't know how they operate. That's why I don't calculate any value at all from the rewards when purchasing from TRU.

It's my first batch of rewards so maybe they are catching up from the holiday purchases.  It's difficult to tell what rewards

My January Rewards were good to 2/28/14 about 1.5 month window from when I got them. My Feb Rewards were good for two weeks after I got them. (3/15/14)

Every time I get them they have random ending dates, sometimes super quick sometimes longer. I don't know how they operate. That's why I don't calculate any value at all from the rewards when purchasing from TRU.

Thanks, that helps.  I wasn't counting on them but figured I would have at least a month to use them.  Hopefully next week there will be a better sale so I can actually use them.

Thanks for the input guys!

Random end dates are usual for me.  Sometimes one month or so, others a couple of weeks.  Also mine sometimes state in store only.  The biggest pain though is the rewards coupons will not combine online. When I have two five dollar coupons, I can't add them both to the same purchase. i.e.  Want to buy an item priced at 12.99, it will only let you use one 5 dollar coupon.  In store you can use them both at the same time for 10 off. 

I would recommend setting your method of receiving rewards to email.  They become visible towards the end of the month, printable on the last day of the month and are all good for about 2 months.  This has been my experience at least.  I've done quite a bit of complaining about TRU, but once you learn how to best take advantage of the sales and coupons the rewards can be pretty good.  From December 31st through February 28th I've received $250 in rewards.  That's essentially free money on top of discounted sets I purchased during the holiday sales. 

• Like 1

Will TRU let me apply rewards on top of a price match or is this YMMV?

The rewards should be treated just like money, so their usual discount/promo/price match shenanigans won't apply.  I price matched a bunch of stuff to use my rewards last month without an issue, and I don't have the luxury of managers that will override when they shouldn't.  There aren't many things excluded in store in the fine print.  Just gift cards and warranties and stuff like that.  These amazon deals would be pretty sweet to price match if I hadn't used my rewards a few hours ago. 

The rewards are certainly not like cash in their stores because they can not be used on diapers. Mine also came with expiration date of Mar 15. WTH?  I stopped by and PMed two 6862 for $15 each and spent all the rewards on them. Glad I don't need to think about how to use them now.

• 3 months later...

So I racked up about 2400 points in the last cycle which should be enough for four $5 certificates, however my rewards for this month are a $5 certificate good until 7/15, and another $5 good from 7/16 to 7/31. My remaining 1400 points are in my balance. So never mind that these rewards are only good for a lousy 2 weeks, they aren't even valid at the same time and not all of my points were converted to rewards either. Is this abnormal or just another way that TRU has found to suck?

That's been my experience so far, too.  A very crappy rewards system, it is.

Like everything TRU, it's not very user friendly.  But the Rewards really do add up if your buying a lot at TRU . I started using the rewards program in October only because other members kept mentioning it. I've earned over  $320 in rewards purchasing during sales and clearance.

So I racked up about 2400 points in the last cycle which should be enough for four $5 certificates, however my rewards for this month are a $5 certificate good until 7/15, and another $5 good from 7/16 to 7/31. My remaining 1400 points are in my balance. So never mind that these rewards are only good for a lousy 2 weeks, they aren't even valid at the same time and not all of my points were converted to rewards either. Is this abnormal or just another way that TRU has found to suck?

Switch your preferences so that you are emailed your rewards and can print them yourself. You'll have access to all of them for that time period towards the last 2 or 3 days of the month and they will all have the same expiration date. In my case I was able to access $20 in rewards on June 27th. Also, the expiration dates for online rewards are farther away.

Switch your preferences so that you are emailed your rewards and can print them yourself. You'll have access to all of them for that time period towards the last 2 or 3 days of the month and they will all have the same expiration date. In my case I was able to access $20 in rewards on June 27th. Also, the expiration dates for online rewards are farther away.

I have it set to email. I also got them on June 27 but they expire on the dates I posted above.

I have it set to email. I also got them on June 27 but they expire on the dates I posted above.

Well that sucks. Mine are usually good for 2 months. The ones from the 27th had an expiration of August 31st. Yet another confounding TRU practice to add to the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

• 1 month later...

New TRU Rewards program starts today. Only email delivery but you can set your reward threshold up to $200 so you can use more then $5 online per order. Also instead of 2 points per $1 it is 1 point per dollar but instead of 500 points equals $5 it is now 125 points so basically it looks like the value has doubled.

Points get emailed every 2 weeks instead of mailed monthly. I am sure there are another 100 changes, rules, and details I am missing so check it out and set your account preferences.

• Like 4

But with their prices above MSRP is it really a reward?

Some sets are at MSRP. For those, use a coupon, rewards, CC discount, and discounted gift cards.

For marked up sets, price match with another retailer, ideally when it's on sale, then use rewards and discounted gift cards.

I have consistently gotten certain sets this year from TRU at better prices than any other retailer, just have to plan your stacking carefully and wait for the right moment.

• Like 2