TRU Rewards

BrickLegacy

This is a great deal. Basically 8% off before gift cards. Even with a basic 10% off GC, that's about 17% off "non-discountable" exclusives. In store and online, as long as part of the purchase is on the cc -- $1 usually -- the entire purchase gets the 8% rewards.

I laugh at your "hot price" designations.

As for banking rewards, I just take them all in store on Thursdays to add on top of the additional 10% cc deal -- no limit per purchase.

as long as part of the purchase is on the cc -- $1 usually -- the entire purchase gets the 8% rewards.

Whoa.  Is that how it is going to work?  If so, I'm stoked!  I assumed if you only spent $1 to trigger the 10% CC discount that would mean only 1 reward point, but you are saying if you spend $1 on the credit card and then use a gift card to pay for the rest of a $125 purchase you would get 250 points?

That's how it worked with the previous program. So I assume that's how the new program works as well. The rewards have always been on the total purchase. Of course that means any discounts will take away rewards. So if you use coupons, cc 10% off, and previous rewards and get a set down to $60 from $100, you'll get 8% of $60 instead of $100.

When paying with the cc, swipe the card and select partial pay. Enter $1. Then have the cashier enter any gift cards.

I just talked to the TRU on phone for an hour.

This is for TRU credit card holder, dont know any differences for NON TRU credit card holder.

This is what I think how it works.

I have around 25000 points now, which is around $1000 in reward dollars.

I can bank 5000 points (the most at a time), which now your bank had $200 in it.

Then you can convert your $200 into 1 $200 reward certificate, or 2 $100 reward certificates, etc.

But you can repeat this as many time as you want.

So if you want to buy an ipad for $600. 

You can bank 5000 point into bank, then convert 5000 point into $200 certificate. now your bank has 0 point now.

then repeat, bank 5000 points into bank, then convert 5000 points into $200 certificat, now you should have 2 $200 certificates.

then repeat, bank 5000 points into bank, then convert 5000 points into $200 certificat, now you should have 3 $200 certificates.

and you can use 3 $200 certiciates to buy $600 ipad, which we cant do it before.

But they will still mail/email the $50 reward certificates (max per month), based on your points earned.

not max $150, seems like you change from $150 to $50. which is good for me.

Edited by toni8284

Can you clarify what the 8% off before gift cards is for?

if you buy $100 using TRU credit card, you will receive 200 points in rewards. so 25 points = $1. so you got $8 in reward.

If use TRU cc on Thur for 10%, for $100 purchase, apply the coupon, 20% off.

then become $80.

then apply the CC discount 10% on thursday, now it becomes $72.

then you can pay with TRU CC with partial payment of $1-$10, or even 1 cent. then use the rest in discounted GC.

and the 8% applied on the total purchase, not the amount it paid by TRU CC. so you got 8% of $72 back into rewards. 

so after including the 8%, you total cost is $66.24.You got 33% off.

Hope it helps and sorry for my english.

I just talked to the TRU on phone for an hour.

This is for TRU credit card holder, dont know any differences for NON TRU credit card holder.

This is what I think how it works.

I have around 25000 points now, which is around $1000 in reward dollars.

I can bank 5000 points (the most at a time), which now your bank had $200 in it.

Then you can convert your $200 into 1 $200 reward certificate, or 2 $100 reward certificates, etc.

But you can repeat this as many time as you want.

So if you want to buy an ipad for $600.

You can bank 5000 point into bank, then convert 5000 point into $200 certificate. now your bank has 0 point now.

then repeat, bank 5000 points into bank, then convert 5000 points into $200 certificat, now you should have 2 $200 certificates.

then repeat, bank 5000 points into bank, then convert 5000 points into $200 certificat, now you should have 3 $200 certificates.

and you can use 3 $200 certiciates to buy $600 ipad, which we cant do it before.

But they will still mail/email the $50 reward certificates (max per month), based on your points earned.

not max $150, seems like you change from $150 to $50. which is good for me.

My head hurts after reading that.

if you buy $100 using TRU credit card, you will receive 200 points in rewards. so 25 points = $1. so you got $8 in reward.

If use TRU cc on Thur for 10%, for $100 purchase, apply the coupon, 20% off.

then become $80.

then apply the CC discount 10% on thursday, now it becomes $72.

then you can pay with TRU CC with partial payment of $1-$10, or even 1 cent. then use the rest in discounted GC.

and the 8% applied on the total purchase, not the amount it paid by TRU CC. so you got 8% of $72 back into rewards. 

so after including the 8%, you total cost is $66.24.You got 33% off.

Hope it helps and sorry for my english.

Great explanation, thank you.  You've definitely opened my eyes to the possible savings at TRU.  Looks like discounted giftcards are going for 10% off right now.  So in your example, that would take the total cost down from $66.24 to roughly $60.  40% off.  That is terrific.  Now what we need is a 20% off entire purchase coupon instead of this pesky 20% off 1 item coupon.

• 1 month later...

I just looked at my Rewards and it looks like you can choose your reward value.  Does anyone know how this plays out?  If I save up for lets say a 50 dollar value to be issued will it arrive in one 50 dollar gift reward?  I've read that you can use one reward in an online order, could this potentially be useful in purchasing items and taking advantage of deals online?

I believe you can set up the threshold you want to be issued your rewards at, so if you choose $50 it will keep accumulating points until you get enough for a $50 reward and then you will be issued that reward.  I think you can go in at any time and get rewards you have earned though so if you really wanted to go get a $20 reward if you hadn't reached your threshold you could do that.

Keep in mind when purchasing exclusives online you can't use rewards as they all have fine print that as a hard to find lego exclusive there can be no promotions used, this includes reward dollars.  I tried recently ordering an exclusive and using the pay in store option and then when paying in-store using my rewards but no dice.  They couldn't alter anything in the order on their end, could only accept money to make it go through.  They did give me a bricktober set doing it that way though, although technically that is a promotion and they probably shouldn't have?  That is what they call a YMMV.

Eh, exclusives or not the deals online can be pretty good for other sets so that doesn't bother me so much.  I'll have to set the dollar amount higher to take advantage of that though since their online prices are typically much more down to earth than their in store prices.

I do like the setting of the threshold.  Too often, I would get a $5 reward, and then forget that I had it.  Just don't go into TRU often enough where I would remember that I had $5 extra to spend.

This way, I can put it toward something "bigger" and feel like I'm getting a little more bang for my buck.

• 2 weeks later...

Learned an important lesson while reviewing a receipt yesterday.

When you use rewards dollars, they are taken off before applying any 10% CC discount day magic. So, my $200 cargo train that I reduced I $150 with my 25% off coupon and then another $130 off with rewards only took off a measly $2 with the CC Thursday discount.

Good news is the rewards are a pre-tax discount. So my 8% in rewards rate is effectively 8.7%. But only 7.8% on CC discount days.

Rewards points are adding up FAST this month. 8000 points pending with 1.5 weeks of Bricktober and a full holiday season ahead.

Make sure to convert them to a reward. Tru says you can bank up to 5000 points. I presume that is points that have lapsed beyond the "pending" phase. I guess if you let more than that go beyond pending, you lose them. I just try to convert them fast enough to keep the bank below 5000.

• 2 months later...

I think you can login to your toys r us account and key in the information off the packing slip for your toys r us receipt and have them add the points...

But make sure it is a large receipt I think you are allowed to do this 4 times a year or so

Of course...considering that they've sent my items in three separate orders.  Geez...

Thanks, I will check it out tonight, when I've got all the packing slips in front of me.

Just learned that I can't use my 3 different rewards on one purchase online (as written in this thread some months ago). So I've changed preferences to bank the rewards and get them via email twice-a-month.  For those of you that do this now... about when do they normally send them out?  The 15th and the 30th? Etc?

Just learned that I can't use my 3 different rewards on one purchase online (as written in this thread some months ago). So I've changed preferences to bank the rewards and get them via email twice-a-month.  For those of you that do this now... about when do they normally send them out?  The 15th and the 30th? Etc?

I usually go out to the Rewards R Us website and generate my own rewards certificate.  I've never received my rewards via email, only physical mail or by printing them online.

I usually go out to the Rewards R Us website and generate my own rewards certificate.  I've never received my rewards via email, only physical mail or by printing them online.

Me too, I hate how they do it so want to control it myself. I set the auto generate value to something really really high so it never gets there then I just create my own rewards as I need them. So much easier.

I bank mine and got them on 12/2 and 12/26 for December so I guess roughly those dates.  I have found that if I create my own reward I can't do it again for a month or even maybe two, not sure how that works.  There must be a limit of some sort.

I bank mine and got them on 12/2 and 12/26 for December so I guess roughly those dates.  I have found that if I create my own reward I can't do it again for a month or even maybe two, not sure how that works.  There must be a limit of some sort.

That's weird. I did it twice in the same day last month. Created a reward, bought something online then went to the store and saw something else and created another reward on my phone in the store.

To continue from my earlier remark in the daily deals thread, I just wanted to report on my relatively painless resolution to replacing my $30 reward.

I used a a $30 reward for a store pick up order I placed a month ago. Well the store couldn't fulfill the entire order and of course cancelled the item that the reard had applied to. But the reward still showed up in my account, so I figured it was still good. Last week I decided to order a Villa Savoye and use my reward on it for a nice discount. Turns out it says the code has already been redeemed. I emailed support about the issue, but except for the automatic email promising a response to my problem, I heard nothing over the past week.

So after reading today's discussion, I realized that as much as I might hate it, I was going to have to call to get this resolved. I got a representative on the phone right away, and after I explained my problem, she seemed unsure of what to do and I figured I was going to be calling a few more times to get this fixed. But instead she worked through it and thoroughly looked into it. She spent maybe 10 minutes looking up the canceled order and then looking at my rewards account. She then tried to place a test order with my reward and got the same error. At this point she put me on hold for another 10 minutes while she waited for her supervisor as they are the only ones who can generate new codes or at least approve the generation of the new code. She did click back on twice while I was on hold to tell me she was still waiting for the supervisor, which I thought was nice.

So she then read me a new code over the phone and gave me a reference number too. I went right away and used the code before anything could happen to it. Of course I didn't think about the fact that the $30 reward lowers Villa Savoye below the free shipping threshold. I threw in 3 packs of series 13 to get the free shipping. I still had 15% off gift cards to apply to the order too so I'm still happy with the purchase. I still have more banked rewards so I'm going to be very very careful about redemptions in the future to avoid these kinds of issues. I'm just glad I got one of the good reps who actually cared about being helpful.