Lego featured on Top Gear

vincevaughn

Today's Top Gear episode featured LEGO.  It was very briefly as an intro to a Danish car but they were there.  Clarkson referred to them as "amusing children's toys."

It was nice, as Sport's cars and Motoring are my other great hobby.  And it is always nice when something bridges between the hobby world's like this.  It kind of connects them and helps us see the great things in both hobbies.  Somehow both seem to become greater than the sum of their parts.  And one can truly appreciate the best of both worlds.  And how our passions and our hobbies help define who we are and what we dream of.

It struck a particular cord with me as one of the sets they had was the 31006 Highway Speedster.  This was the set that brought me out of my dark ages and reignited a passion I had forgotten.  I bought the set partially as a joke with the girlfriend.  But also because it was just a cool looking sports car.  I loved the lambo-style doors and the glass cover over the engine ala the F430.  And now a year later with bags and cases of bulk LEGO everywhere; a spare bedroom piled high with sealed sets; a table full of half built sets; shelves full of used sets on display.  Now when I immerse myself in another hobby of being a "petrol-head" it seemed to come full circle.  For a moment I remembered building that Speedster.  Seeing it take shape and rediscovering those little plastic pieces I loved as a child.  Little plastic pieces that gave way to WD40 and gears.  Twin Turbos and Straight Sixes.  Pearl Red Metallic and Alpine white.  The two cars that are the joys of my life.  and now I find I have wandered back to the world of the plastic bricks.

And sometimes I think too much :P.  Anyway, here are some screencaps for your enjoyment.

bp_1392623393__tglego1.jpg

bp_1392623419__tglego2.jpg

Guest TabbyBoy

Good, I bought 5 Highway Speedsters in error last year and now I can state "As seen on Top Gear" in the listing so I can get rid of them.  Talking of Top Gear, I order 4 "The Stig" keychains every time they have magazine offers.  These cost

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...